300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago to seek funds for new officers

June 30, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Mayor Richard Daley says Chicago will ask the federal government for money to hire more police officers.

The mayor has requested $106 million to hire 400 officers. Hiring is at a crawl because of the struggling economy.

The officers' union says the number of vacancies could hit 800 this year.

What is everyone's take on this actually occurring and Chicago bringing in new recruits?

I'm just glad to finally hear something!

I'll sign up for the exam as soon as it's announced.

Comment

There is only 1 billion of funding right now so even though the President is from Chicago I doubt they are going to send 1/10th of the money to Chicago. They've gotten over 8 billion of requests for that 1 billion so it's going to be competitive to get funding. Hopefully they will keep the COPS program going in future years.

Comment

Yea i heard that it will be tough. I read that Weis said that 100 officers was more realistic and that the remaining 300 officers would have to come from desk duty or other forms.

Lets just cross our fingers that 400 is possible.

Comment

I've been hearing everywhere that they are short on police officers, but did they take lots of people from desk work back to patrol?? I have been seeing lots of patrol cars out there. I had to go buy a blue tooth out of fear that I will get caught on my cell phone. Every corner I look, I see a patrol car. And lately with nice SUVs so i can see them easier.

I dont understand how there is no $$$ to hire police officers. Didnt Mayor Daley just lease the meters for 75 years? Excise taxes on waterbottles now, and I hear they are going to charge for parking on all the lake fronts. Where is all this $$$ going to?

Comment

Originally posted by latindawg View Post
            I've been hearing everywhere that they are short on police officers, but did they take lots of people from desk work back to patrol?? I have been seeing lots of patrol cars out there. I had to go buy a blue tooth out of fear that I will get caught on my cell phone. Every corner I look, I see a patrol car. And lately with nice SUVs so i can see them easier.

I dont understand how there is no $$$ to hire police officers. Didnt Mayor Daley just lease the meters for 75 years? Excise taxes on waterbottles now, and I hear they are going to charge for parking on all the lake fronts. Where is all this $$$ going to?
            cpd is budgeted for 13500 officers. acutal number is around 9000 if that. all the moneys going to king daleys olympic fund and lining his and the alderthieves pockets

Comment

Yea Chicago and every other dept in the US

Comment

For those of you that haven't read Second City Cop and you have any interest in CPD, READ it. Some of what you read will give you some cold hard reality.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

With such a massive shortage, what will hiring a few hundred do?

Well, my active duty contract expires in June 2012 and I'm a November 2006 tester. By the time my contract expires, I might be hired! Then again, in 3 years, I should be in line to promote to Captain...

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                    For those of you that haven't read Second City Cop and you have any interest in CPD, READ it. Some of what you read will give you some cold hard reality.
                    I know I haven't been on the job long, but my experience over the past couple years have been positive....people will always dwell on the negative, and fail to say the positive, and there are MANY positives about this job. I work with great people, lots of laugh, they will always have your back, and I've made some really good arrests.... I know it's not how it used to be, but whatever is. It's not the higher up's for the most part...they can make me in charge and I could say "Free reign, make the arrests, do what you have to do"...it's still not going to stop Joebag Attorney from sueing you...the law makers and the media stopped the fun, not the law enforcers.
                    You are going to lose a spot on a team or unit to a phone call or someone with juice, it's been happening for decades. But you'll make a good buck, you may never be rich, but you will never be poor, and again, people will have your back.

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
                      I know I haven't been on the job long, but my experience over the past couple years have been positive....people will always dwell on the negative, and fail to say the positive, and there are MANY positives about this job. I work with great people, lots of laugh, they will always have your back, and I've made some really good arrests.... I know it's not how it used to be, but whatever is. It's not the higher up's for the most part...they can make me in charge and I could say "Free reign, make the arrests, do what you have to do"...it's still not going to stop Joebag Attorney from sueing you...the law makers and the media stopped the fun, not the law enforcers.
                      You are going to lose a spot on a team or unit to a phone call or someone with juice, it's been happening for decades. But you'll make a good buck, you may never be rich, but you will never be poor, and again, people will have your back.
                      I like your attitude! I'm looking forward to working with the CPD... I've always met people who are very happy with the job. Many of them have said how they are jealous of me, and wish they were starting out again. I had similar feelings when I met new troops in the military.

The worst thing someone could do is read some stories from a whining bitch who hates his life. It's a sure fire way to kill your confidence and spread discontent. There is alot of that on this website...

Make up your own mind, and if you hate it, well at least you made the determination. Not some random guy on the internet.

Comment

There are, let's say, 10,000 cops on the job right now....the blog is full of the bitter ones, posting over and over again WITHOUT SAYING THEIR NAME, bashing the Dept....most of the people I work with bash the blog, we laugh at it, you can make the best pinch, do it all right, awards coming, there will be 50 posts of people commending you, congrats to you, and then there will be the 5 posts from the dog's saying "enjoy getting sued" or "horrible job on the radio, couldn't understand what was going on"....SCC cop is a free forum, who even knows if they are the police, they might be some bitter dog *** who is ****ed and wants to lash back, and so be it, but anyone who takes that site as the majority of what we think, are very sorely mistaken....

Comment

That's good to hear, it reaffirms my desire to be CPD.

0311, how many years have you been on? Have you met a lot of guys who've been with the dept. for a long time that share your enthusiasm?

I met a guy who had 7 years on, and I tried to ask him for advice but all he would keep telling me is "You don't want to be the police. It's a waste of your time. You don't want to be the police." Suburbs? "No, same bullsh*t, you don't want to be the police."
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16482 users online. 520 members and 15962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X