300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Ranges

Forgive me if this already exists but I searched to little avail. I, myself, am looking for a rifle range within driving distance of Chicago, but I thought this could also be a thread for range recommendations.
    What ranges do you frequent and why? Which ones would you stay away from?

What kind of distance are you looking to shoot? And what caliber rifles? How far do you consider driving distance?

Comment

Originally posted by markdh720 View Post
      Forgive me if this already exists but I searched to little avail. I, myself, am looking for a rifle range within driving distance of Chicago, but I thought this could also be a thread for range recommendations.
      What ranges do you frequent and why? Which ones would you stay away from?
      IRA (Illinois Rifle Association) has an outdoor range in Kankakee, and Illinois Gunworks in Elmwood Park is indoor, but they let you shoot just about anything that I know of.

Comment

Ccsd0601, I'll check those out, thanks. You have experience at those places?

If I could find a rifle range up to 100 yards, that would be great. I would like to take out the AR-15 once in a while. An hour drive would probably be reasonable but I could handle longer. I was a big fan of MegaSports indoor pistol range which was at least an hour drive for me. I don't go there as much because their prices seemed high, I can shoot at the dept's ranges for free, and holster draw.

I live on the south side and I once heard of an old quarry just over the Indiana border that let's you shoot shotguns and rifles. Since I work right by the border, I would like to find that spot if anyone knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by markdh720 View Post
          Ccsd0601, I'll check those out, thanks. You have experience at those places?

If I could find a rifle range up to 100 yards, that would be great. I would like to take out the AR-15 once in a while. An hour drive would probably be reasonable but I could handle longer. I was a big fan of MegaSports indoor pistol range which was at least an hour drive for me. I don't go there as much because their prices seemed high, I can shoot at the dept's ranges for free, and holster draw.

I live on the south side and I once heard of an old quarry just over the Indiana border that let's you shoot shotguns and rifles. Since I work right by the border, I would like to find that spot if anyone knows it.

If you find out more about the quarry, let me know. I would love to shoot there. Meanwhile, as far as the IRA goes, no experience, but this is what I was told when I called them. Illinois Gun Works, however, I have shot my Remington 11-87 there. I heard of people shooting their AR-15s and AK-47s there as well.

Comment

I have been told that JR's in Aurora allows rifle:

http://www.jrshootingsports.com/shooting_range.htm

I haven't been there yet, might go in the next week or 2. I'll post how it is.

RyBaK477

Comment

It depends on what caliber rifle, if it is .22LR you can pretty much shoot at any indoor or outdoor range. However I you are talking .223, .308, 30-06 you will be very limited. If you only plan on driving an hour, I don't know of any other than the ISRA range in Kankakee. Pretty much any outdoor range in the Chicago area is going to be members only, including the ISRA range. However they have an open house coming up.

http://www.isra.org/calendar/isra-ra...house-2009.pdf

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8358 users online. 205 members and 8153 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X