300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not just Glocks

It appears that Mr. Weis has made a good decision in regards to the new firearm policy. According to this article there will be three choices for sidearms for up coming rookies. Striker fired pistols from Glock, Smith&Wesson, and Springfield. Finally some common sense... Everyone knows there is not a one-size-fits all in the world of pistols.

I hate glocks, and love the M&P, so this is good news!

The best quote from the article:

“We want to provide the best workplace environment for our employees,” Weis said in a statement. “That is why we are interested in the experiences of our Department members and how they are affected by everyday work issues.”

Maybe he should actually go for a ride-along with CPD officers, and see how many of his (read: Daley's) policies are actually affecting the rank-and-file. The man was never a cop, and doesn't know the first thing about boosting the morale of coppers. The best thing he could probably do for that department is to resign.

Comment

Originally posted by blueline1032 View Post

“We want to provide the best workplace environment for our employees,” Weis said in a statement. “That is why we are interested in the experiences of our Department members and how they are affected by everyday work issues.”

Maybe he should actually go for a ride-along with CPD officers, and see how many of his (read: Daley's) policies are actually affecting the rank-and-file. The man was never a cop, and doesn't know the first thing about boosting the morale of coppers. The best thing he could probably do for that department is to resign.
      OK... but you've got to admit that it's better than having only one firearm choice (if you can call it choice).

Comment

I assume that they will still allow non-striker fired guns. The article said officers will have a choice and they will allow striker fired guns in addition to the other guns. I assume that this means Springfield XD's when they say Springfield striker fired guns.

I myself prefer guns with hammers. And I am assuming that basically the permitted duty guns list is basically the same as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago_mwk View Post
          OK... but you've got to admit that it's better than having only one firearm choice (if you can call it choice).
          Yes, I would agree that multiple firearms choices is a good thing. However, my point is that Weis is pointing this out as a major impact on department morale, and he fails to acknowledge the more major policies that have had a greater influence on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
            I assume that they will still allow non-striker fired guns. The article said officers will have a choice and they will allow striker fired guns in addition to the other guns...
            This is only if you are a current officer with a hammer fired pistol like a Sig. Rookies will only be allowed striker fired pistols.

Comment

Mainly it's personal preferrence... For some reason the angle of the pistols grip is too strange for me. Glock claims that the increased angle is to allow more natural shooting, but to me it feels anything but natural. I have a real problem getting on target and staying on target with the Glock.

The Luger P08 had a similar angle for more natural shooting and The Japanese had it with their Nambu... both styles were almost exclusively used in the country of origin and are long out of production. I'm suprised that Glock has made as big a market as they have with this design. Based on the history of that style, it really should have just stayed in Austria like Styer. But hey... they did it! They made it a world wide phenomenon.

I'd also like to add that I think that the pistol is ugly as sin!

Comment

I'd also like to add that I think that the pistol is ugly as sin!
                I personally don't have a problem with Glock... it's a durable gun, but I will agree with you that it's ugly. Kind of reminds of that girl that we've all seen; you know, the one that looks like a foot...

Comment

Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                  I personally don't have a problem with Glock... it's a durable gun, but I will agree with you that it's ugly. Kind of reminds of that girl that we've all seen; you know, the one that looks like a foot...
                  Same here. The only Glock I own is a 27 because of the heat and humidity down here and it's fairly comfortable wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt. The only reason I dont like the Glock is because of the way it looks. But, other than that they're easy to maintain, it's simplicity,and goes bang everytime I squeeze the trigger. As far as accuracy, I shoot it as well as my duty guns which are either a SIG or H&K.

Comment

Originally posted by blueline1032 View Post

I read in the paper how he supposedly does regular patrols around the city at night. Has anybody from Chicago P.D. personally witnessed this (other than Weis' driver, maybe)?

Comment

Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                      I read in the paper how he supposedly does regular patrols around the city at night. Has anybody from Chicago P.D. personally witnessed this (other than Weis' driver, maybe)?
                      I read that too... said he nabbed two robbery suspects in the act. The paper did mention his partners name, but it don't remember what it was... I'm not sure how many different people he patrols with. It'd be wierd if he switched around all the time... how'd you like to get that at the begining of the day... "Smith, you're riding with the Sup today."

Comment

Originally posted by MDC74 View Post
                        Same here. The only Glock I own is a 27 because of the heat and humidity down here and it's fairly comfortable wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt. The only reason I dont like the Glock is because of the way it looks. But, other than that they're easy to maintain, it's simplicity,and goes bang everytime I squeeze the trigger. As far as accuracy, I shoot it as well as my duty guns which are either a SIG or H&K.
                        Yeah, I've seen all the stress tests on you tube and such. They seem to be able to take anything! I just can't shoot 'em right. I have a similar problem with the Sig P226, if you can believe that. The Sig's has a real high profile and that throws me off too... I guess I'm just real picky about my firearms.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen all the stress tests on you tube and such. They seem to be able to take anything! I just can't shoot 'em right. I have a similar problem with the Sig P226, if you can believe that. The Sig's has a real high profile and that throws me off too... I guess I'm just real picky about my firearms.
                          Understandable, but you are like the first person I've heard of that has problems shooting with the P226.

Comment

This is only if you are a current officer with a hammer fired pistol like a Sig. Rookies will only be allowed striker fired pistols.
                            I must have misread the article.

Either way I believe it allows you to carry the Springfield XD and XDM. It is too bad that DA/SA guns are not allowed.

While this allows new officers to carry striker fired guns, is the Glock 17 or Glock 19 still required for PPOs? After that I assume they can move onto another firearm that is strikerfired.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
                              It is too bad that DA/SA guns are not allowed.
                              DA/SA haven't been allowed since about '93 or so. DA only since then (I'm grandfathered in with my 4506) . I haven't read this new order, yet, but I had heard that the PPO's were only allowed .9mm while either in training or on probation, but allowed to switch calibers after. Sucks having to buy multiple guns. I've always been particular to the .45 round and have never owned a .9mm. It would suck to have to buy a $500 gun that you wouldn't carry. Again, I haven't read the new order, so I could be wrong on this..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8872 users online. 222 members and 8650 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X