Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the test happened like 2 months ago and it was announced on there HR website
    Please let me know, Thank you.
    US Army 13M

Comment

.....dooo!

Comment

They selected the top 15 applicants. The process is pretty much finished. Only the interview is what is left to complete. The written and psychological were all done in one day. Then the background was completed, the medicals were just done last week, and now the interviews are sometime this week. Both U of C and UIC are using Metro for the police academy. The academy date is 9/08/2009.

Comment

was @ chicago uniform on roosevelt the other day. the u of c shirts are all black with the ucpd patch on the left, and the u of c flag on the right. not bad looking, better than the previously worn blue.

Comment

yup

yeah they changed shirts and stars. this is just the start to a bigger end. its looking good for the Olympics so they are beefing up, bcuz u of c owns damn near everything 55th east of the dan ryan, and beyond. dont sleep on there wing span. good luck to applicants, but be advised they are moving to 12 hours shifts. meaning you will work 14 days a month with guaranteed overtime with out doing overtime. do the math. plus i heard they want sum real bangers, police thats ready to get in the fight instead of watch the fight.

Comment

Not a bad place to get some street experience, but be wary of the pension. If you plan on staying, you'll have to work until 63 and get a pension way less than a Police pension, and NO civil service protection. Also, don't think that you'll be "Kickin' a55 and takin' names" out there. Not in ultra-liberal Hyde Pk. and with the University's Social Services investigating your CR#'s (Complaint Registers).If the sociologists there don't agree with how you handled a call, or how an encounter went down, you're gone. Very different than UIC. The University will let the new guy make some changes. The Univ. will let him change cosmetic stuff like uniforms, cars, etc., but make no mistake about it, your FIRST duty is to the U of C, their students and property, and how they want things handled.

You are also overseen by the Southeast Chicago Commission. It's a citizen, community group in Hyde Park, with MAJOR pull with the City and Univ. Think of if Hyde Park was a town, the SCC would be the town trustees. Get involved in something that they don't think was handled a certain way, you're also gone...

When I worked there, I thought that you got very good experience working the streets, but EVERYTHING around (and parts of ) Hyde Pk. was the worst, highest crime ghetto on the southside. Not as it is now. This was many years ago, and if it wasn't for the Univ., Hyde Pk would have turned into another Englewood, Grand Crossing, Roseland.

The boundaries, up until a few years ago, were Lake-Cottage, 47th-61st. They only in recent years expanded to 64th and north to Pershing. The long-time inhabitants of those areas are not very agreeable to having 2 Police Dept's riding herd on them.

Not to rain of the last poster's parade, since he's a new guy there, just letting people know the downfalls to working there. I speak from working there F/T for 3 years and working,dealing with their P/O's, administration, and doing investigations in the area just about my whole career on CPD.

As long as you understand that going in, you are The University of Chicago Police and not The Chicago Police, you'll be fine.
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

So does the U of C police patrol areas that are not University property. Isn't this stepping on the toes of CPD? How do CPD officers feel about this?

Comment

They patrol everything in the area mentioned above. I don't know how a Dept. that has about 30 or so F/T people is going to train 20-30 new hires that they want. Most of their P/T people were off duty CPD.They got rid of most and want to get rid of all of them. It's not a question of them "stepping on anyone's toes" as much as what their primary function should be. If, as the one poster said, they want guys to make a ton of arrests, they should begin processing them themselves and not tie up a city car to do their paper. I also thought that the ex Dep. Chief doing reverse drug buys away from the campus was a disaster waiting to happen. One thing that a lot of CPD isn't too fond of is the University's habit of crying to the politicians (including the CPD Supt. and Mayor) when the CPD doesn't do what they want. There's been a few times that I remember when students got locked up by CPD, only to have UCPD tell the city guys to let them go, they're students. I responded to a "Robbery in Progress," which turned out to a bonifide robbery that had just occurred, and UC was too busy talking to the victim to give me any info for a "flash message." As long as people going in know that they aren't the Police for the town of U of C, Ill. and are in the City of Chicago.

As I said before, not a bad place to start out, or get a "second chance" at LE. By and large the cooperation among both agencies is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by DEVILDOG1/10 View Post
                    yeah they changed shirts and stars. this is just the start to a bigger end. its looking good for the Olympics so they are beefing up, bcuz u of c owns damn near everything 55th east of the dan ryan, and beyond. dont sleep on there wing span. good luck to applicants, but be advised they are moving to 12 hours shifts. meaning you will work 14 days a month with guaranteed overtime with out doing overtime. do the math. plus i heard they want sum real bangers, police thats ready to get in the fight instead of watch the fight.
                    How do the stars look, btw?

Comment

Did anyone get an invite for March 5th 2010?

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
                        Did anyone get an invite for March 5th 2010?
                        No, I haven't heard anything from them yet. Although if people are receiving notice to attend some event March 5th it cannot be a good sign for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                          How do the stars look, btw?
                          Like their old ones (Look like Berwyn, R-dales, Cal Pk, Oak Pk), but now with the "ribbon" on the top that says "Police Officer," or Patrol Officer, I forget which. The Sgt's and Lt's that didn't have numbers on their stars, now do, and they have Captains now, which they didn't before (or at least since the 60's-70's). I've also seen them driving black and white Dodge's and Tahoes.

Comment

Originally posted by NEC1234 View Post
                            No, I haven't heard anything from them yet. Although if people are receiving notice to attend some event March 5th it cannot be a good sign for me.
                            My invite is for March 6, 2010, for Power Test. Anyone else have any other different dates for power test

Comment

They tested last June. If process is the same as last year written should be week of March 15th, for all who pass power test.

Comment

I was informed the 1.5 mile run has to be less then 12:00 minutes or you fail? I wonder when the non-certified applicants will get a call?
                                Last edited by littleguy; 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5336 users online. 216 members and 5120 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X