300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified and Civilian applicants

hey everyone, just want to get some quick opinions about this. Obviously if an applicant applies to a police department, who is currently certified, it makes them look that much "easier" to hire with their qualifications. With the money issues these days, it seems that police departments would much rather want to take the "easy route" and hire the certified individual rather than of the civilian applicant, who needs the academy... Understanding that this is a process of competition and/or qualifications, the certified applicant has the more weight in getting hired, regardless-as they should. Also, I understand that everyone, who is currently certified, was at one point a "civilian" and had to earn their own way-- which I greatly respect, but I would assume there weren't as many PO's applying to PD's back then as there are currently. Anyone agree or disagree with this? Also, does anyone believe that their should be seperate lists for civilian applicants and certified police officers for local agencies? I am unsure if they put the two on different lists now, but would like to hear the responses. thanks.

Originally posted by JM17 View Post
    Obviously if an applicant applies to a police department, who is currently certified, it makes them look that much "easier" to hire with their qualifications. With the money issues these days, it seems that police departments would much rather want to take the "easy route" and hire the certified individual rather than of the civilian applicant, who needs the academy.
    This can be a double-edged sword; an agency may get a certified officer, but they may also be inheriting another agency's 'problem child'.
    A lot of departments accept laterals, but still require an abbreviated academy, and/or FTO. The trained officer would still be probationary, and could be terminated if their bad habits surface.

My biggest gripe about hiring laterals: you get the ones that say things like--"we did it like this at my old department". It is really hard to teach someone who already knows everything.

On the other hand, I have seen some really good officers transfer to a larger agency, just to do better for themselves. They respond to training, and adapt to their new surroundings.
    “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Why wouldn't a Dept. hire someone that is certified and has a proven track record as a Police Officer. They save money because they don't need to send you to an academy and a lot of times an abbreviated training period. All this person needs is to learn the things that are particular to that PD (radio,reports, vehicle set up, GO's, etc) and learn the streets of the town/surrounding area. A lot of these people started as P/T P/O's, places like College PD's, smaller, less paying PD's.

As far as not as many people applying "back then," one suburb I was on had 3000 take the test, another burb had 100 take the test...But you had to already be a resident of that burb to apply, so that's 100 people from the town taking the test. Another agency had approx. 1500 take the test for 5 jobs.

I don't see why there should be 2 lists, one for certified and one for civilian applicants. If I'm the head of the Police-Fire Commission and I want to hire experienced, certified Police Officers for my town, why should I be forced to take non experienced, untrained people that will cost my town more money to put on the street?

I understand what Slamdunk said about getting another agencies problems. You do tend to notice if the one doing a lateral is moving up to a more desirable Dept. (more job assignment opportunities, better paying, more room for advancement, no residency) and not going from a good PD to a less desirable one. Sometimes laterals find out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, though.

Comment

I can understand what JM17 is saying. Its hard for somebody to get certified if you get passed over for somebody who has their certification already. So therefore it almost makes it pointless to test some places that have a 100+ people test. Cant get certified if you cant get hired. Ive placed high on a couple of departments list, but still got passed over by the time they got pti figured in. But there is no need for two list. Thats just the way the it is.

I would look into small departments that have part time officers. The larger department would still have to send you through the two week course to get your full time certification, but its cheaper then hiring somebody brand new. Worth looking into....GOOD LUCK

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13143 users online. 233 members and 12910 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X