300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Hour Transition

Anyone here going to the 80 Hour Transition starting next week at PTI?

Looks like for those of us who are, we are going to be the first class under a new set of rules. We must stay in the dorms, wear department uniforms every day to class, and all sorts of other rules. I talked to another guy at my department who went a few years ago and I also just spoke with an officer from another department who went just last year, and they both got to stay at hotels and wore casual clothes to class and it was quite relaxed from what I hear.

Heard some officer in the last class went out and got waisted after class on day, was urinating in public and then resisted the Champaign cops who tried to arrest him and thats the reason for the changes - just what I heard.

Anyway, anyone going to be there also?
    What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Originally posted by rgw1977 View Post
    Anyone here going to the 80 Hour Transition starting next week at PTI?

Looks like for those of us who are, we are going to be the first class under a new set of rules. We must stay in the dorms, wear department uniforms every day to class, and all sorts of other rules. I talked to another guy at my department who went a few years ago and I also just spoke with an officer from another department who went just last year, and they both got to stay at hotels and wore casual clothes to class and it was quite relaxed from what I hear.

Heard some officer in the last class went out and got waisted after class on day, was urinating in public and then resisted the Champaign cops who tried to arrest him and thats the reason for the changes - just what I heard.

Anyway, anyone going to be there also?

I think you are a little misinformed. I went there a few years ago and you did not wear casual clothes to class or stay in hotel rooms. In class you had to wear PTI's iniform which was blue dress pants and a collared PTI shirt. Dept uniforms are worn during scenario's and other training. The only time people stayed in hotels were when the dorms were full or they did not have enough room. You do have curfew which if I remember correctly it was 9pm unless you have night class.

As far as the moron who was caught ****ing outside and ran from Champaign that was in 2007.

Comment

Cowboys07 would be correct. I was there just a year ago (ha actually almost exactly the one year anniversary). The curfew rule was made cause people were getting drunk and abusing the freedom (some very interesting things have occured including the incident mentioned above). You always wore a uniform (navy pants, and a collared PTI polo thats more like a t-shirt with a collar, black shoes most guys wore duty boots). The apartments PTI leases out also have students in them so PTI gets a limited amount them and at times need to rent from hotel rooms. Your better off in the apartments anyway 1. They're right down the street from your classes and Green St. and 2. They're probably just as nice as the hotel rooms they occasionally rent from. Not to mention i wouldnt be shelling out cash to say in a hotel when PTI is picking up the tab for the apartments even if they did allow me the option to rent a hotel room (not that they have ever done this, like i said they only rent hotel rooms when the apartments they rent from are full)

PTI is pretty relaxed and if you (not you in particular) have a hard time following the rules there your probably gonna have a hard time following department policy and don't really belong in LE...but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Just to clarify, this is the 80 Hour Transition I'm talking about, not the full PTI.

But anyway, one told me that there was urine and vomit all over in the dorms, in the hallway, in the elevator, in the stairwell, etc., etc. and thats why she went to stay in the hotel, doubt it was really like that. The guy who is still at my dept. told me there were lots of people in his class and they ran out of dorm rooms so that is why he had to stay at a hotel. Sucks for him because we have to sign a 2 year contract and his was for over $3000.00 if he left early because the hotel fees were added in. Mine is only going to be the $1053 tuition for the class, so not a big deal if I want to jet to a better dept. after getting the F/T cert. But though both told me they wore casual clothes, no uniforms or navy blue pants or polo's like you all have mentioned, maybe things have changed. The female also told me the food at Bromley Hall was horrible and to bring lots of money to eat out, but I highly doubt that also. The letter I got says our curfew is 10pm and the regular PTI guys is 9pm I shouldn't have any problems, looking forward to the experience. Will be glad I can finally say that I've been to PTI.

Still none of you going to be there?
        What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Bromley food sucks. If you are gonna eat there bring a 12 pack of whatever your perfered "soft" toilet paper might be.

If you're going to consume beer, in moderation of course, drink at the Illini Inn. It's a couple blocks from the dorms. Join the "mug club"...

The corner of Chalmers/4th Street is good for "sight seeing" during the school year.

/end.

Comment

Originally posted by The Axolotl View Post
            Bromley food sucks. If you are gonna eat there bring a 12 pack of whatever your perfered "soft" toilet paper might be.
            Thanks for the heads up J! Guess I will take some extra cash for the trip.

Comment

I was at PTI a few years ago, not sure what the above posters were talking about, but the transition course was not run like the regular 480 course at PTI. When I went through the 480 hour course, we had to wear PTI uniforms during class, had curfew, etc... The transition course, from what I gathered, was much more relaxed and almost a joke compared to what we went through.

I think the changes are a good thing.

On another note, I must be the only one who actually liked Bromley!

Comment

Originally posted by rgw1977 View Post
                Just to clarify, this is the 80 Hour Transition I'm talking about, not the full PTI.

But anyway, one told me that there was urine and vomit all over in the dorms, in the hallway, in the elevator, in the stairwell, etc., etc. and thats why she went to stay in the hotel, doubt it was really like that. The guy who is still at my dept. told me there were lots of people in his class and they ran out of dorm rooms so that is why he had to stay at a hotel. Sucks for him because we have to sign a 2 year contract and his was for over $3000.00 if he left early because the hotel fees were added in. Mine is only going to be the $1053 tuition for the class, so not a big deal if I want to jet to a better dept. after getting the F/T cert. But though both told me they wore casual clothes, no uniforms or navy blue pants or polo's like you all have mentioned, maybe things have changed. The female also told me the food at Bromley Hall was horrible and to bring lots of money to eat out, but I highly doubt that also. The letter I got says our curfew is 10pm and the regular PTI guys is 9pm I shouldn't have any problems, looking forward to the experience. Will be glad I can finally say that I've been to PTI.

Still none of you going to be there?
                fyi, some departments will still make you go through the full 12 weeks at pti, even w/ the 80 hour transitional under your belt b/c they don't regard the 400 hr p/t training very highly (and the 2 weeks at champaign won't make up for those deficiencies). i know of at least 3 departments that will make you do that and i'd be willing to bet that most larger departments would be similiar.

and the food at bromley isn't all that bad.

Comment

i hear most officers actually put on a few pounds from the buffet is what i was told on my ride along in urbana. I also saw the bar from the places the cadets are housed and man thats like a hop skip and a jump haha
                  Please let me know, Thank you.
                  US Army 13M

Comment

Update:

Well, were on day three. Bromley is "ok" but if I didn't have a 10 month old daughter at home eating me out of house and home with all the baby food and formula, I'd eat out. Mr. Miller and Mr. Deakin warned us the first day about abiding by the curfew and alcohol regulations, and other regulations and the second night more than nearly half the class was out past curfew and they brought alcohol back to the apartments and had a party. This morning during one of our breaks, Mr. Miller chewed *** big time! I think the class size is about to shrink in half, well see.

Comment

rgw1977, How many times did Deakin say "gin mills" referring to bars when warning the class about drinking? "Local Gin Mill" was his go to phrase anytime he mentioned anyone going to a bar in our class.

Comment

Update:

Originally posted by Fredbird28 View Post
                        rgw1977, How many times did Deakin say "gin mills" referring to bars when warning the class about drinking? "Local Gin Mill" was his go to phrase anytime he mentioned anyone going to a bar in our class.
                        Several Times! - Miller's keyword is "Capstone." This is the "capstone of our career."

Re: The Party!

They did not kick anyone out of the class and kept true to their discipline policy and it was just another *** chewing, thank God!. They pulled everyone out of class who then missed approx. 30 minutes of lecture to do it. Great part is the one guy who did not drink, but the party was in his room and he didn't rat everyone out, he got in just as much trouble as those who drank and got his *** chewed also for not telling. Miller compared it to him seing X beat up Y and not doing anything about it. Kinda a stretch. One is a violation of a law and the other is a violation of a rule. Whatever, it is what it is. Were all still here and thats all that matters.

Glad to be home and on break for the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by MJN325
                          To each his own, but this is not always true. I know plenty of PD's that accept the P/T training and 2 week transition. It's not all about the Academy. It's about the FTO program and learning on the street. I tell all my recruits to forget everything they learned at the academy. I don't want to hear, " Well, at PTI they told us"..........Honestly, i'd rather work with some guy who busted his ***** P/T to get a F/T spot than some F/T recruits i've seen lately..
                          Its funny how things really come full circle.....I remember how F/T officers used to make a big deal around negotiation time about P/T's and the fear that they were taking their jobs. And lets not forget the drama "weekend warriors" were subjected to in the Guard and Reserve. P/T people live and die and sacrifice just like their F/T counterparts, sometimes even more.
                          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                            Its funny how things really come full circle.....I remember how F/T officers used to make a big deal around negotiation time about P/T's and the fear that they were taking their jobs. And lets not forget the drama "weekend warriors" were subjected to in the Guard and Reserve. P/T people live and die and sacrifice just like their F/T counterparts, sometimes even more.
                            ...and for less money, too!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16791 users online. 527 members and 16264 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X