300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Park

I see that they are testing and have increased their starting wage. What can anyone tell me with regards to personnel, work environment, shift, etc. I would think it can be a busy place at times with various types off calls. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

I don't work for Forest Park, but these are my observations of the geography and area:

Forest Park stays very busy. There is a strip along roosevelt with the K-Mart, Wal Mart, Ultra Foods, and a few other places. On the North side of town they have a huge strip of bars on Madison street that keep them busy in the evenings, especially on weekends.

They also have 2 entrances to the I290 in their town, as well as 2 blue line stops and 1 green line stop, both being the end of the line. Those stops all have convenience stores, liquor stores, and gas stations that seem to be very busy.

It is a very diverse neigborhood in every respect. There are some very nice areas and some not-so-nice. There is some of every chicagoland ethnicity. There are heavy residential areas, heavy commercial, and mixed. Lots of churches and schools.

They border Oak Park, Berwyn, Maywood, and the busy part of River Forest, all of which are very busy.

There are several major roads that run along and through the town.

I really don't know anything about work environment, personell, or shifts.

Edit:
    I almost forgot from a non-working perspective it is a very fun town with lots of parades and parties, great bars, and great food.
    Last edited by Item9; 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

im kind of skeptical my friends brother got hired at a neighboring town from forest park and got laid off 2 weeks after the academy. So that area kind of is sketchy for me.
      Please let me know, Thank you.
      US Army 13M

Comment

No substantive "real" experience with the dept. But, I've met a few guys/women on the force there, and they were very cool. Spoke to Oak Park folks about them, and they have a very good working relationship with the Forest Park folks, and consider them good folks deserving of respect.

Don't know about the Dept. Inner workings, but when riding along with Oak Park, the folks I met were very positive about the dept, and suggested I look into testing. But, I'm an "old guy" so I was out. Any time someone tells you to test for their dept. I consider that a vote of confidence in the dept, and how happy they are there.

Speaking to residents, and people who work there, I have heard nothing but good things about the personnel.

Item9 has the basic layout, and potential for "fun" pretty well covered. I mean, c'mon, it borders Maywood!

Comment

I don't know how it is now, but Forest Park has been or close tobeing bankrupt in the past years. A buddy of mine is a Detective there and he has been demoted to street patrol some years back. Otherwise, it is a good dept. to work for.

Comment

2 Reruits are currently in the academy, you can PM me if you have any questions
            Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherJG View Post
              I don't know how it is now, but Forest Park has been or close tobeing bankrupt in the past years. A buddy of mine is a Detective there and he has been demoted to street patrol some years back. Otherwise, it is a good dept. to work for.
              Damn... that sux monkey balls...

Comment

I was actually hired to be an Auxiliary officer, but my department wouldn't sign the seconday employment form to work there so I never got the chance to work. But from what I saw, they officers were pretty good. No big deal though, they never told me that Auxiliaries don't get paid. I also tested for full time, got my interview years ago, and the Board members were my age! No joke, one of these guys showed up for my interview in shorts and flip flops. The City attorney seemed rude and I remember some time ago that the officers were trying to oust their bosses from office.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherJG View Post
                  Almost every town has money issues now a days

Comment

Took the power and written today. Looked like 55-65 people left in the room during the written out of around 170 applications.

Good luck to everyone! I'm excited to find out the results.

Edit: Anyone hear back for their interview yet?
                    Last edited by Item9; 06-18-2009, 07:39 AM.

Comment

My edit doesn't bump this. Has anyone heard back about their interview yet?

Comment

I haven't heard anything yet either. From what I understand from the letter that was attached to the final eligibility list, we should hear something soon though. Good luck though.
                        Last edited by Z71Mike; 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

its a great dept. not much money but every town is like that nowadays

catch most of the junk that comes from the city...not a bad town by any means...they pay for all your gear, your firearm is up to you as long as you qualify it. 3 shifts, morning, swing and midnights.

chief is great, they recently promoted my old fto to sgt after a sgt left, great group all together
                          Waiting...I would rather be snowboarding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17977 users online. 374 members and 17603 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X