300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas LEO visiting Chicago

Hello to the Illinois forum. I couldn't find the State of Chicago forum, so this seemed like a good place to put this

I'll be visiting Chicago with my wife in two weeks. We'll be in town for three days, and was just looking for advice, heads ups, etc.

Also, though it's allowed by the LEOSA, how does CPD look at off duty carry by out of state LEOs? I've read the Chicago and Mayor Daley seem to frown quite a bit on firearms in the city.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Im sure you will be just fine in our wonderful dictatorship, hopefully when you come here in two weeks the weather will at least be in the 40's.....I do suggest that you take your wife to Margies Candies for some of the best homemade ice cream sundaes you will ever have. They are located at 1960 N. Western Ave which is in Chicago Bucktown Neighborhood.

Comment

Thank you Captain!
      sigpic
      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

If the weather is nice, I'm a big fan of touring the lakefront/museum campus. However, the weather might not yet be quite up to par for that.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Off duty carry

I say F- Daley, you have a right to carry per HR 218, just keep it concealed and you will be fine with your creds, I am from Illinois, and sometimes carry when I am in DC.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
            Hello to the Illinois forum. I couldn't find the State of Chicago forum, so this seemed like a good place to put this

I'll be visiting Chicago with my wife in two weeks. We'll be in town for three days, and was just looking for advice, heads ups, etc.

Also, though it's allowed by the LEOSA, how does CPD look at off duty carry by out of state LEOs? I've read the Chicago and Mayor Daley seem to frown quite a bit on firearms in the city.

I could easily tell u wat neighborhoods to stay away from, for example... all of 79th street; STAY AWAY!!! Or if ur going to be in that direction 4 watever reason, be sure 2 bring ur gun. But there r good parts that the city have 2 offer. My advice: Stay in the Downtown Loop area. It's safe, and enjoyable, just expensive, tho. (Beware of the 10.25% tax)

Comment

Go ahead and carry and keep it concealed. I don't think you'll get too much trouble. I carry in Chicago all the time.
              "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

welcome to chicago!

if your flying into midway just make sure that your by the baggage pick up sooner rather than later, security is not that great and the exit is right there, i've flown a dozen times over the past two years and have not have a problem, but better safe than sorry.

as for the ccw, i would'nt leave home without it, as long as you have your star and id, you will be good to go.

on a side note, if you trade or collect patches i would be interested in doing so, i dont have many from texas, PM me if your interested

here is a money saving tip for ya... if you want to go to the observation deck on the hancock and not pay the fee just go to the bar level, its directly below the observation deck, you can walk around for free and get the same view

enjoy your stay
                mike
                Last edited by PROBY; 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM.
                In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

Originally posted by PROBY View Post

here is a money saving tip for ya... if you want to go to the observation deck on the hancock and not pay the fee just go to the bar level, its directly below the observation deck, you can walk around for free and get the same view
                  Great advice! And since it costs about $8 for a drink up there, you can basically get the same view + a drink for the same price as going up to the observation deck.
                  "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

Again, thanks guys... I'm certainly going to look into all of this!
                    sigpic

Comment

I've got to throw all my support behind ArcherCapt for the Margies Candies idea. It's off the beaten path, and it's an old school candy/soda shop place with, arguably, the best sundaes and home made ice cream I've ever had.

That used to be my 'hood, and since moving back to Chicagoland, I haven't been back. This has wet the whistle for sure!

If you're planning to head that way, the "Bucktown" neighborhood has a lot of fantastic restaurants and bars, not to mention music at the "double door" if that's your thing. For a non-"Chicago-Style" hand tossed pizza with a great brew pup in that neighborhood, check out "Piece".

Have a great time, it's a great city.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post

carry two guns

Mayor Daley can frown all he wants about guns in the city. All sworn personnel can carry guns anywhere in the U.S. (you probably already knew that)

Comment

Hey guys... got back Sunday and had a blast. Margie's Candies was a great idea, we stopped there Sunday on our way back out the Blue Line to O'Hare. Met a lot of CPD, and met NYPD, CHP, and San Fran PD that were at the River and the Columbus St Parade... She already wants to go back. Thanks again!
                          sigpic

Comment

Glad you enjoyed, must have brought the nice weather with you cause it isn't out of the ordinary to have it still be snowing! But trust me, you have it better down there than we have it up here, here's a nice place to visit, but...you know the rest
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

Glad you had a great time!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6740 users online. 304 members and 6436 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X