300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas PD

Anyone who is interested in a CAREER in LE, consider Dallas! I completed everything in two days, and was a very fast two days. I started Friday morning at 8 am with my physical, by 1030, i was taking my written test, by 1pm i was taking my poly, by 3pm i was taking a nap in my hotel. Day two started off at 745 waking up, 9am I arrived at the PD HQ, (an hour early) and by 1015, (my appointment time) i was back in my hotel knowing that I would be offered a job as long as my background checked out!!! If anyone needs any info, let me know. The weather is warm, the department is busy, no state income tax, good starting wages, and the ACADEMY goes a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNG way, very respected!!!!

Some things in life I just can't figure out. The physical test could be passed by a 400 pound, completely out of shape individual. However, if your eyesight, without correction, is worse than 20/100, they don't want you. Corrected to 20/20 or not.

Good luck to you though, Dallas has the best retirement I have EVER seen.

Comment

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I agree with Tom. Advances with contact lenses make it very difficult to lose one, even when direct pressure is placed on the eye. I understand the importance of vision in LE, but we don't live in the age of hard contacts that fall out when you sneeze.

Dallas is a cool town, department look professional (although my only experience is watching them on First 48). My aunt lives there and loves it.
      This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Exactly, CHItoDC. I have worn soft contacts for 20 years, and I have never lost one. Football, Hockey, you name it. Even a kick to the head that knocks you unconscious.

Comment

they are somewhat flexible with eyesight, i overheard an applicant discussing that with a recruiter at the event, you may want to contact them to see what they say. as far as the PAT goes, you have to meet standards that closely match those of ILEA entrances standards first week of the academy.

Comment

isn't there academy like lone as hell, though? isn't it like 35 weeks or sumthin?

Comment

TX is hiring alot of people. I'm in the process with Houston and I applied middle of december and my file was sent up to the chief to get signed off on friday. Houston also doesn't have a written or an oral board in their testing process.

Comment

I was born and raised in Illinois and just finished the Dallas Police Department's 32 week academy and am in the FTO phase on the mean streets of South Dallas. If you have any questions, ask away. Just do it on here so all can see so that I don't have to send a lot of PMs.

Comment

For those that tested I just want to make sure I read this physical test correctly:

6.5 inch verticle jump
                  14 situps in a minute
                  300 meter run in 110 seconds
                  4 pushups in 1 minute
                  1.5 mile run in 19.09 minutes

Is something there posted wrong? This seems pretty darn easy. Is this a statewide physical standard?

Thanks folks. I've been reading the Dallas website. It is very appealing. Plus, I've been thinking of going somewhere warm.

Also,
                  the salary seems very low relative to what I've been looking at in the Chicago area. Any information about improvements in that? How is the cost of living in Dallas compared to Chicagoland?
                  Last edited by Item9; 02-22-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                    6.5 inch verticle jump
                    14 situps in a minute
                    4 pushups in 1 minute

No F'ing way.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                      For those that tested I just want to make sure I read this physical test correctly:

6.5 inch verticle jump
                      14 situps in a minute
                      4 pushups in 1 minute

Is something there posted wrong? This seems pretty darn easy. Is this a statewide physical standard?

Thanks folks. I've been reading the Dallas website. It is very appealing. Plus, I've been thinking of going somewhere warm.

Also,
                      the salary seems very low relative to what I've been looking at in the Chicago area. Any information about improvements in that? How is the cost of living in Dallas compared to Chicagoland?

Those are just the testing PT standards. It's just to make sure you're in decent shape. Make sure you can do better as the academy is very physically challenging. During the Academy you take the PT test 3 times and you have to pass the Cooper Test at a higher percentage. Evetually you have to run the mile and a half in around 13:00, 29 push ups, 40 sit ups and a 17.5 jump and the 300 in 59 secs. Some of those numbers might be off by a few. All and all, it's really not that hard. PT and DT arevery hard in the academy. You're constantly doing push-ups for punishment or the dreaded plank.

A lot of people think it's a cake walk because we're hiring so many, the truth is only 10% of those that make it to the interview pass it, then there's the background investigation and that narrows it down more. My academy class started off around 50 and 10 quit the first week. The Academy is paramilitary from the 1st day to the last day. It wears on you, but it's all for a reason.

The cost of living is cheaper in Dallas. Cnn's cost of living calander shows $42,000 in Dallas is equal to $52,295 in Chicago. We also have one of the best , if not the best, pension in the country.
                      Last edited by formerdispatcher; 02-22-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

this is pretty darn close to indianas ILEA standards
                        Please let me know, Thank you.
                        US Army 13M

Comment

is that vision waiverable
                          Please let me know, Thank you.
                          US Army 13M

Comment

You could be half dead and still pass that "physical test"... I'm shocked.

Comment

Yes, the initial test does not compare to the POWER test, but just because you can pass the physical test doesn't mean you're going to get hired. Our process is very quick though if you have the stuff they want. The Oral board is the biggest obstacle to overcome, that's assuming you've told the truth about your background and you pass the polygraph.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14878 users online. 426 members and 14452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X