Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forbes listed chgo as miserable place ?

what is bringing the decline of a once: ' city that works' ?????
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

A quote from HBO's The Wire comes to mind (Baltimore has many parallels with Chicago). "'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make **** in this country. Build ****. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets."

High taxes and political corruption.

Comment

I think that rating was a little harsh and basically completely unscientific. Also written by ivory tower New Yorkers looking to take Chicago down a couple notches.

Come on, Detroit less miserable? Cleveland?
      This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

I'm sorry but Detroit is the most miserable excuse for a city in this country. Hell the mayor was arrested last year!!!
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          I'm sorry but Detroit is the most miserable excuse for a city in this country. Hell the mayor was arrested last year!!!
          That's not to shocking when you consider Daley is next...

Let's see, the city of Chicago...

Pros-
          Architecture
          Social life
          Unique ethnic neighborhoods

Cons-
          king daley
          corrupt daley cronies
          cost of living such as but not limited to.. housing, utilities, food
          taxes
          communist gun laws
          torn up roads that never seem to get fixed
          commute times on the highways
          did I mention city corruption?
          horrible public school system
          ..catholic schools aren't much better (I'm a product of one)
          Un-appreciated police force, often hung out to dry by the liberal media

I'm sure there's more but it's late and I'm tired.

Regards,
          Mike

Comment

I was going to post on this, but mike9817 pretty much said it all. There are plenty of great things about Chicago, but every day I see more and more people who really are just miserable. Talk to Chicago coppers and see if they don't agree.

We also can't forget the misery that we Cubs fans face...
            "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

Last year Travel and Leisure Magazine named Chicago the THIRD BEST city to visit. Somehow in one year we've lost our way and become utterly miserable.

While taxes and corruption suck, things like traffic and unemployment aren't all that different from other major cities. They are far from making me miserable.

Also keep faith that Chicago has the most bars per capita in the United States, just in case you are miserable.
              This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

I believe they were talking about the Bears quarterback situation, not the city itself.....

Comment

That was a complete insult, Chicago above FLINT! Detroit! Cleveland!??? Everyone I know who has visited Chicago loves it, anyone I know who has moved from Chicago misses it.

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                    Last year Travel and Leisure Magazine named Chicago the THIRD BEST city to visit. Somehow in one year we've lost our way and become utterly miserable.
                    Great place to visit and great place to live are two different things. I love it here, but the cost of living, the taxes, the crime, and corruption do leave a bad taste in your mouth after reading about it and living with it year after year.

Comment

Perhaps I'll have a more accurate opinion on this after I move. But I think the insult for some lies with the other cities on that list (no offense to anyone who may reside in Flint, Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit).

You have all these dying Rust belt cities, then Chicago, which at least in some of the media's eyes has become the epicenter of the country (due mostly to the recent election; olympic bid). It just reminds me of "one of these things is not like the other."

Don't remind me of the cost of living. Just got my apartment in the DC metro area....Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by FourAces325 View Post
                        Great place to visit and great place to live are two different things. I love it here, but the cost of living, the taxes, the crime, and corruption do leave a bad taste in your mouth after reading about it and living with it year after year.
                        Is Chicago expensive? Absolutly, but compared to NYC and LA we're cheap...hell look at smaller major cities like Boston, San Fran and San Diego, it's ridiculous....The winter sucks, especially when your a cop and outside in it, but there are some many great things about Chicago.....I think the author of the artical mistitled it by putting as "Miserable" maybe "Challenging" but not miserable!!

Comment

Originally posted by FourAces325 View Post
                          A quote from HBO's The Wire comes to mind (Baltimore has many parallels with Chicago). "'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make **** in this country. Build ****. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets."

High taxes and political corruption.
                          I bought the boxset and I see so many parallels between the Baltimore that they depict and Chicago. It is a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                            Hasn't Jody Weis been in charge of the CPD for about one year?

Comment

See, the Cubs are bringing this city down!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8945 users online. 242 members and 8703 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X