Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sheriff of Cook County not wearing a uniform...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sheriff of Cook County not wearing a uniform...

Hey. I noticed that Sheriff Thomas J. Dart, as well as former Sheriff's Sheanan, O'Grady, Elrod, and Oglivle never wore a uniform. But, just about every other Sheriff (Lee Baca from Los Angeles County, CA, Paul Kappas, from Will County, IL just to name a couple) wears a uniform. Now I understand that being Sheriff comes w/ the privalege of not wearing a uniform everyday, but just about every head law enforcement official wears a uniform (Supt., Comissioner, Sheriff, Chief, Director, etc.) sometimes, such as press conferences. I feel that if we can wear a uniform, so can they. And in my opinion, it shows a form of respect towards the rank and file, as well as the dept. I know I will probably get some opposition, but it's just an opinion that i formulated, and I would like to hear ur opinion(s). Especially from fellow CCSD.

Were talking about the County. Look around in Roll Call when you have your fellow officers wearing 8 different badges. There is no professionalism. Those Departments are light years ahead of the county. Give it another 40-50 years and watch quote me, we will be getting Windows 95. Not to mention cell doors that lock!
    Code:
    <iframe src="http://www.iconator.com//box-one.php?id=1665042" width="100" height="100" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" background-color="transparent"></iframe>

Comment

I have been in uniform for many years, but my current assignment is in plain clothes. If you have a good boss, who cares if he wears a uniform or not. I have worked with some great cops that did not always have boots with a pristine shine. I have also worked with some cops that looked like a recruiting poster on duty all of the time. We didn't get a whole lot of work out of them, but, damn, they looked good. And frankly a whole lot somewhere in between.

I just don't think it matters all that much.

Comment

These other Sheriffs that you have mentioned, that wear the uniform, all have come up through the ranks with the Department. That’s the way it should be too. I think that if Dart was to come out wearing a uniform, he knows along with everyone else that he would look flat out ridiculous. Yea he might be the boss but I don’t think he has earned the right to wear it. He should stay in his “casual attire”.

Comment

hes a politician, not a cop and never has been a cop, he does not belong in a uniform, just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
            hes a politician, not a cop and never has been a cop, he does not belong in a uniform, just my opinion
            +1!!!

I also have that same feeling about when I see J-Fed playing dress up on TV....HE LOOKS RIDICULOUS!

Comment

Originally posted by ofc8269 View Post
              These other Sheriffs that you have mentioned, that wear the uniform, all have come up through the ranks with the Department. That’s the way it should be too. I think that if Dart was to come out wearing a uniform, he knows along with everyone else that he would look flat out ridiculous. Yea he might be the boss but I don’t think he has earned the right to wear it. He should stay in his “casual attire”.
              So the Sheriff of Cook county was never a law enforcement officer? He is just a politician? What the hell? Why would the people of cook county vote for a sheriff with no law enforcement experience?

After he became sheriff, did they make him at least have to go through the police academy?
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                So the Sheriff of Cook county was never a law enforcement officer? He is just a politician? What the hell? Why would the people of cook county vote for a sheriff with no law enforcement experience?
                Because the voting majority of people in Cook County are liberal Democrats. Don't forget this is the land of Blagojevich, Stroger, Daley, Obama, Jesse Jackson, etc..

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post

After he became sheriff, did they make him at least have to go through the police academy?
                Negative.

Comment

It's time to get some local police friendly politicians (if there be any) riled up to change State Law. I find it quite redicilous that a person can be elected or appointed into a law enforcement position and not be a State Certified Peace Officer! At least they are not allowed to have arrest powers but who are they to lead us and tell us how to do our job, what we are and aren't doing wrong! No wonder a 14 year old can sneak into the CPD, J-Fed snuck is way in!
                  What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Ugh

The Sheriff, by virtue of the office that he holds, has arrest powers. A Sheriff does not have to the go to an academy to have powers of arrest.

55 ILCS 5/3‑6021) (from Ch. 34, par. 3‑6021)
                    Sec. 3‑6021. Conservator of the peace. Each sheriff shall be conservator of the peace in his or her county, and shall prevent crime and maintain the safety and order of the citizens of that county; and may arrest offenders on view, and cause them to be brought before the proper court for trial or examination.

~

Comment

I know that this is the Illinois sub-forum, but for whatever it is worth the Minnesota POST Board prohibits anybody who is not a licensed peace officer in Minnesota to be elected or appointed to the office of sheriff. I am told that a few years back a sheriff was elected that was not a licensed peace officer. Evidently the POST Board made an agreement with him that he could not carry a firearm until he became licensed and that he would need to be licensed in order to run for re-election the following term. Evidently he did not comply and did not run for re-election. It seems sort of strange that in a rural county the sheriff was allowed to hold office, but yet was not a licensed peace officer and could not legally carry a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by The Axolotl View Post
                        The Sheriff, by virtue of the office that he holds, has arrest powers. A Sheriff does not have to the go to an academy to have powers of arrest.

55 ILCS 5/3‑6021) (from Ch. 34, par. 3‑6021)
                        Sec. 3‑6021. Conservator of the peace. Each sheriff shall be conservator of the peace in his or her county, and shall prevent crime and maintain the safety and order of the citizens of that county; and may arrest offenders on view, and cause them to be brought before the proper court for trial or examination.

~
                        IL. Municipal Code authorizes municipal police (Chief and other Officers) and IL. Counties Code authorizes (Sheriff, Deputies, Special Deputies, etc.), However the Illinois Police Training Act and the Illinois Administrative Code state that a person can not posess peace officer status, and thusly can not place anyone under arrest, unless properly certified / trained according to Board (I.L.E.T.S.B.) rules which are set, some by Statute and some by Administrative Code and Board policy.

Thats where I form my opinion on the matter - see http://www.ptb.state.il.us for more information.
                        Last edited by rgw1977; 02-01-2009, 03:08 AM.
                        What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Originally posted by RadioCheck View Post
                          Were talking about the County. Look around in Roll Call when you have your fellow officers wearing 8 different badges. There is no professionalism. Those Departments are light years ahead of the county. Give it another 40-50 years and watch quote me, we will be getting Windows 95. Not to mention cell doors that lock!
                          LMFAO... u kinda have a point.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioCheck View Post
                            LMFAO... u kinda have a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                              I have been in uniform for many years, but my current assignment is in plain clothes. If you have a good boss, who cares if he wears a uniform or not. I have worked with some great cops that did not always have boots with a pristine shine. I have also worked with some cops that looked like a recruiting poster on duty all of the time. We didn't get a whole lot of work out of them, but, damn, they looked good. And frankly a whole lot somewhere in between.

I understand where ur coming from, i just expressed my opinion, but our Sheriff NEVER wears a uniform... then again, we're not even uniform as a department. We have different badges 4 each unit, different patches, different color uniforms, etc.

I just don't think it matters all that much.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11147 users online. 479 members and 10668 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X