300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints from a CPD officer

Thought everyone interested in applying for CPD would find this interesting, I did. It came from this website. I think many of us seem to discuss these isssues from time to time.

http://www.chicagodefender.com/artic...-officers.html

The number one problem facing the CPD is the fact that we are short, upwards of 2,000 sworn personnel, and this is being concealed. The officers know it, they see it and they feel it. Morale is in the toilet. There is no leadership or support being displayed, at any managerial level. The CPD wrongfully stripped and fired some officers. This has had long-lasting repercussions within the rank and file. The disciplinary process is not fair and objectively based. The promotional process is primarily based upon clout, not on knowledge or competency. The existing merit system leads to great frustration. We work six straight days in a row with CPD's archaic work schedule. The work schedule further increases stress levels. The residency requirement is killing the job, by keeping qualified younger officers away. The media hammers the CPD unfairly, on a daily basis. The contract has been expired for 15 months, with no resolution in sight. The squad cars, computers and radio batteries don't function properly. Other times, there are not enough squad cars, radios and batteries to equip all the officers working. Equipment shortages and malfunctions place officers in additional danger. Officers routinely find themselves semi-involuntarily working alone. Working alone resulted in Officer Richard Francis's murder in July. The contract stipulates that officers work as two man units, during the hours of darkness. If officers complain about being assigned to work alone, retaliation will come about. Compensatory time is routinely denied, due to manpower requirements. Chicago is an exceedingly expensive city to reside in, with a very high cost of living and the worst public schools in the nation. Chicago has the some of the highest taxes in the nation,IE. sales tax. The officers are also picking up an overall feeling of hopelessness and despair, this is downright dangerous. To be fair, Superintendent Jody Weis inherited a shipwreck of monstrous proportions from Phil Cline. This situation did not just arise under Weis's tenure, but has been festering for sometime. This situation was definitively made much worse under Cline's tenure. Many officers, initially applauded the appointment of an esteemed outsider taking the reigns. Officers believed that change was forthcoming. Some of Weis's initial moves immediately changed that assumption though. Weis sought and obtained Federal charges against Bill Cozzi, this was the icing on the cake. Chicago Police Officers work in some of the nation's worst Hell holes. These officers are routinely involved in life and death situations; that are to say, unnerving. Chicago is the third largest city in the nation, but now has the highest homicide rate and violent crime rate in America. NYC has a population of 8.6 million, while Chicago has 2.86 million. This year,Chicago is exceeding NYC's homicide rate. City politicians claim that there is a 430 million dollar deficit. Yet, there is over 800 million dollars sitting in the TIF Funds, 500 million dollars sitting in a bond fund from the lease of the Chicago Skyway, and who knows how much money accrued from the lease of Midway Airport. Last year's record property tax increase was to fund police hiring, and to settle labor contracts. Where has all this money gone? Ironically, the politicians claim broke. This all, coincidentally coincides, while the police contract is being negotiated; and allegedly justifies the critical manpower shortage. Officers believe the monies are being diverted for the 2016 Summer Olympics. This is occurring at the expense of Chicago's children, residents, visitors, tourists and officers' safety. Many chess experts, view the knight as one of the most important strategic game pieces. The knight is a necessity to win a chess game. Knights guard and defend the King, at all cost. What happens when the knights are all turned into pawns? Remember, we are the eyes and ears, and the pulse of the third largest city in the United States. Overall pressure is building in society; fueled by the impending economic woes, the daily stress, terrorism, the wars, the disgust with corruption, and the moral decay in society. We know and feel that something is seriously askew. You could call us the blue canaries, yet we still stick it out, and keep you safe. It's okay, joke about us,scorn us, denigrate us and look down upon us. Realize one thing, when we fail or fall in battle: Who will protect you and yours, in this AntI-GuN asylum state, called Chicago, Illinois???

Originally posted by latindawg View Post
    Thought everyone interested in applying for CPD would find this interesting, I did. It came from this website. I think many of us seem to discuss these isssues from time to time.

http://www.chicagodefender.com/artic...-officers.html

The number one problem facing the CPD is the fact that we are short, upwards of 2,000 sworn personnel, and this is being concealed. The officers know it, they see it and they feel it. Morale is in the toilet. There is no leadership or support being displayed, at any managerial level. The CPD wrongfully stripped and fired some officers. This has had long-lasting repercussions within the rank and file. The disciplinary process is not fair and objectively based. The promotional process is primarily based upon clout, not on knowledge or competency. The existing merit system leads to great frustration. We work six straight days in a row with CPD's archaic work schedule. The work schedule further increases stress levels. The residency requirement is killing the job, by keeping qualified younger officers away. The media hammers the CPD unfairly, on a daily basis. The contract has been expired for 15 months, with no resolution in sight. The squad cars, computers and radio batteries don't function properly. Other times, there are not enough squad cars, radios and batteries to equip all the officers working. Equipment shortages and malfunctions place officers in additional danger. Officers routinely find themselves semi-involuntarily working alone. Working alone resulted in Officer Richard Francis's murder in July. The contract stipulates that officers work as two man units, during the hours of darkness. If officers complain about being assigned to work alone, retaliation will come about. Compensatory time is routinely denied, due to manpower requirements. Chicago is an exceedingly expensive city to reside in, with a very high cost of living and the worst public schools in the nation. Chicago has the some of the highest taxes in the nation,IE. sales tax. The officers are also picking up an overall feeling of hopelessness and despair, this is downright dangerous. To be fair, Superintendent Jody Weis inherited a shipwreck of monstrous proportions from Phil Cline. This situation did not just arise under Weis's tenure, but has been festering for sometime. This situation was definitively made much worse under Cline's tenure. Many officers, initially applauded the appointment of an esteemed outsider taking the reigns. Officers believed that change was forthcoming. Some of Weis's initial moves immediately changed that assumption though. Weis sought and obtained Federal charges against Bill Cozzi, this was the icing on the cake. Chicago Police Officers work in some of the nation's worst Hell holes. These officers are routinely involved in life and death situations; that are to say, unnerving. Chicago is the third largest city in the nation, but now has the highest homicide rate and violent crime rate in America. NYC has a population of 8.6 million, while Chicago has 2.86 million. This year,Chicago is exceeding NYC's homicide rate. City politicians claim that there is a 430 million dollar deficit. Yet, there is over 800 million dollars sitting in the TIF Funds, 500 million dollars sitting in a bond fund from the lease of the Chicago Skyway, and who knows how much money accrued from the lease of Midway Airport. Last year's record property tax increase was to fund police hiring, and to settle labor contracts. Where has all this money gone? Ironically, the politicians claim broke. This all, coincidentally coincides, while the police contract is being negotiated; and allegedly justifies the critical manpower shortage. Officers believe the monies are being diverted for the 2016 Summer Olympics. This is occurring at the expense of Chicago's children, residents, visitors, tourists and officers' safety. Many chess experts, view the knight as one of the most important strategic game pieces. The knight is a necessity to win a chess game. Knights guard and defend the King, at all cost. What happens when the knights are all turned into pawns? Remember, we are the eyes and ears, and the pulse of the third largest city in the United States. Overall pressure is building in society; fueled by the impending economic woes, the daily stress, terrorism, the wars, the disgust with corruption, and the moral decay in society. We know and feel that something is seriously askew. You could call us the blue canaries, yet we still stick it out, and keep you safe. It's okay, joke about us,scorn us, denigrate us and look down upon us. Realize one thing, when we fail or fall in battle: Who will protect you and yours, in this AntI-GuN asylum state, called Chicago, Illinois???
    with all the corruption going on in chicago i can't believe Daley is still the mayor,i hope the people of chicago realize mayor daley is the problem in chicago and vote him out.

Comment

All my friends on CPD say Weiss is also one of the problems. If someone files a complaint on you. Chances are you will be suspended the next day. No one wants to be the first on a call so they dont have to deal with the people in case they do get a complaint. I hear so many bad things about the morale of CPD. I have fam on there to trying to get out but arent having much luck. Seems like none of the burbs like CPD officers to much??
      Please let me know, Thank you.
      US Army 13M

Comment

Originally posted by latindawg View Post
        The number one problem facing the CPD is the fact that we are short...
        Well, we have no way of knowing if that actually was written by a CPD officer. Based on some of the things he(she?) writes, it sounds like an insider, but it could just be someone like you or me who would like to be hired and is just echoing the things they read on boards like these. But yes it's tough. It's nice to think that it would all go away if Daley was gone. But when election day comes, where do you think the other candidates came from? When you are in a city as corrupt as Chicago, how do you even get your foot in the door, let alone rise to the top of political viability, without having taken a few shortcuts or greased a few palms along the way? Impossible. It's called a machine for a reason. Where did Blagoevich come from? Oh yeah, now I remember, he made his name running against George Ryan who, even in light of everything we know about Blago now, was still worse.

When election day comes, not only is it long-odds for anyone running against Daley to win, but it is long-odds that there will be any less corruption if they win.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

I dont think daley will ever get voted out which sucks
          Please let me know, Thank you.
          US Army 13M

Comment

Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
            All my friends on CPD say Weiss is also one of the problems. If someone files a complaint on you. Chances are you will be suspended the next day. No one wants to be the first on a call so they dont have to deal with the people in case they do get a complaint. I hear so many bad things about the morale of CPD. I have fam on there to trying to get out but arent having much luck. Seems like none of the burbs like CPD officers to much??
            The Fed is one of the problems. The biggest slap in face that Daley did to us is saying "Not one of you 11-13,000 people are qualified to run this Dept. Then give the wheel of the ship to someone that's never been the Police and never ran any type of PD (or organization) before. Then let him give his retired Fed pals CPD gold stars like a prize in their trick or treat bag. On another blog, the best quote I saw was when the Fed was new here and got decked out in our uniform, including leather jacket and too big for his alien- head hat is " He looked like a sad, little, boy playing dress up on Halloween."

If you get a CR#, no one is getting suspended the next day. It's a pretty long process before (if the CR# is sustained) that you will get time.

I also have seen guys on the street not being as proactive (car stops, investigative street stops) as they once were, but never saw guys avoiding being first on the scene of in progress radio jobs to avoid dealing with the public. Morale is the worst that I've seen in 23 years on CPD. It ain't going to get better any time soon.

Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
            I dont think daley will ever get voted out which sucks
            Problem is, he has a war chest in the millions $$$, and who's a viable candidate against him? Jessie Jr., Bobby "Minister of Defense" Rush, Rev./Sen. "You can't pull my entourage over" Meeks.? I fear Daley will be in until he has a grabber, ala "Harold the Great," and gets carried out on a stretcher to a CFD ambulance (no "body snatcher" van for "Da Mare.")

Comment

Got this from another website....prob one of the biggest complaints about CPD is the lack of ability to promote if you dont have clout!

"Years ago I became a insider down at the Hall (as we call it) and if any of you Po's or Sgt's, Lt's actually think you made ANY type of promotion list legally, brother I got a bridge to sell you!

When the results came back to the Hall from the testing company we would make certian criteria requirements to change the test scores to promote who we wanted or needed, weather it be psycholigical, physical or educational or racial it did not matter we changed or rigged the results plain and simple accordingly to the fifth floor! Remember he knows nothing about what the hall people do!

People were put on the lists because they knew someone or their family was previous rank. A little nod or hey that's so and so's friend or that's old charlie's neice or that's WHAT THE MAN WANTS. You could study for ever and know every G.O. back and forward and recite it in your sleep but you would never make it to the top of the lists. IT IS AND STILL IS HIS DEPARTMENT. The first several hundred on top of the list are hand picked! So if you actually think you made it on your own, yeah right!

Sit back and think which boss liked the way you worked or and told you, Hey you could make a good Sgt. or Det. some day "Take the test". It could be a very suttle comment or pat on the back! Like I said no one is promoted with out the approval of the Hall! NO ONE! Plain and simple. We had in some cases ten months to over a year before the results were posted and mailed out. During that time, Thats when the phone calls were made or names were proposed! Some made, some dropped!

Iam retiring in a few days, and W.C. Fields said it best their's a sucker born every minute! and Chicago is the biggest sucker of all, You voted him in!"
              Last edited by archercapt32; 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The days of changing test scores ended when they started meritorious promotions in the Sgt, and Lt. ranks. They always had 20% merit on the Det's list. Usually you knew who they were because they were shot or injured LOD, got in some gigantic shootout, really good arrests, etc. Now it's 30% merit for Sgt. and Lt. People that are merit also do something somewhat funny. When you ask if they are merit, they dance around the answer, as if ashamed of it, because they usually can't give you any reason why they should be merit. Another thing is that the city won't tell you what criteria is used for merit promotions. It's amazing how many of these merit Det's, Sgt's, and Lt's, not to mention exempt Capt's (which was a tested position until about 7 years ago) have the same last names as aldermen, state rep's, state senators,or are related to firms that do a lot of bussiness with the city.

The last straight tests that were given were the ones I took for Sgt. and Det , and got made Det. off of in 1994. An outside testing firm gave it, kept the info on the test takers and we were known to the city by a number. The city will never do it again because the racial numbers were not to their liking and they cut the Sgt. list off about 100 shy of what the Mayor said he was going to make. After that is also when they instituted the college requirement for Sgt. and Lt.,though you did not need the college to get hired or promoted prior. People prior to the requirement should have been grandfathered in, as they did for other things (uniform requirements, weapons,). Nothing like springing on people that have worked for them for years and are in the middle of raising families that now you need college to go any farther in this Dept.

The entrance test is just as bad, nothing like giving you some computer generated number linked to your SSN to tell you where you ranked. The city will never run a straight test, nor give an entrance test telling you the exact number that you ranked on the test. See how the burbs handle it. They post a list and it tells you you are # whatever and then goes on to cross out names and give the dates that they are hired.

Have to remember, this city is all about racial politics and money, fairness has no place in Lil Ritchie's Kingdom.

Comment

I agree substantially with every post here so far. I blame Daley and his cronies. I also blame the public for not standing up and voting him out.

Comment

That is such a shame......I can't imagine morale being very high in conditions like these. This doesn't give much hope to a guy like me, hoping to be able to belong to the agency responsible for protecting a city I love. My goal, should my lotto numbers get pulled, would be to get promoted to det. or higher if the opportunity presented itself. But being that I'm not even in there yet, seems like I have a better chance of building a snowman in hell. But I'm not the type of person who gives up easily.....maybe I'll just start hitting the suburban depts. a little heavier.
                    "He who makes a beast out of himself, forgoes the pain of being a man "

Comment

So many emotions going through my mind as I read through this thread. Everything that you officers/civilians are saying is what I've been hearing at family dinners for the past five years. I have more Chicago police officers in my family than I can count including both of my parents, and I still find it so depressing when I think about the hiring process and how long it takes. All I've ever wanted since I was a child was to be like my dad, running and gunning in the old 14th district on midnights, making a difference on the street; I fear this will never happen. While I wait for King Daley to die or be ousted from office, I will endure my enlistment in the Marine Corps checking the blue line every month or so.

I will readily post Chicago hiring information as it trickles down through my family, and I will do my best to keep the rumors at bay. Last I heard, we had 9,100 officers on payroll. I listen to my dad's district almost every night on the scanner, and let me say that 200 hires is a joke. It sounds like you guys need another 5,000.

-Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by mike9817 View Post
                        So many emotions going through my mind as I read through this thread. Everything that you officers/civilians are saying is what I've been hearing at family dinners for the past five years. I have more Chicago police officers in my family than I can count including both of my parents, and I still find it so depressing when I think about the hiring process and how long it takes. All I've ever wanted since I was a child was to be like my dad, running and gunning in the old 14th district on midnights, making a difference on the street; I fear this will never happen. While I wait for King Daley to die or be ousted from office, I will endure my enlistment in the Marine Corps checking the blue line every month or so.

I will readily post Chicago hiring information as it trickles down through my family, and I will do my best to keep the rumors at bay. Last I heard, we had 9,100 officers on payroll. I listen to my dad's district almost every night on the scanner, and let me say that 200 hires is a joke. It sounds like you guys need another 5,000.

-Semper Fi
                        They have an email notification if you go to the Chicago PD website.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky134 View Post
                          That is such a shame......I can't imagine morale being very high in conditions like these. This doesn't give much hope to a guy like me, hoping to be able to belong to the agency responsible for protecting a city I love.
                          I honestly am amazed that anyone still loves this dive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiCity View Post
                            Well, we have no way of knowing if that actually was written by a CPD officer. Based on some of the things he(she?) writes, it sounds like an insider, but it could just be someone like you or me who would like to be hired and is just echoing the things they read on boards like these. But yes it's tough. It's nice to think that it would all go away if Daley was gone. But when election day comes, where do you think the other candidates came from? When you are in a city as corrupt as Chicago, how do you even get your foot in the door, let alone rise to the top of political viability, without having taken a few shortcuts or greased a few palms along the way? Impossible. It's called a machine for a reason. Where did Blagoevich come from? Oh yeah, now I remember, he made his name running against George Ryan who, even in light of everything we know about Blago now, was still worse.

When election day comes, not only is it long-odds for anyone running against Daley to win, but it is long-odds that there will be any less corruption if they win.

Just a small little technicality, George Ryan did not run for re-election. Blago ran against JIM Ryan in '02 (no relation to George). However, Jim didn't stand a chance with his last name being Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiCity View Post

Just a small little technicality, George Ryan did not run for re-election. Blago ran against JIM Ryan in '02 (no relation to George). However, Jim didn't stand a chance with his last name being Ryan.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11143 users online. 429 members and 10714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X