Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have heard from several people that the town cant make me live in town due to a law, maybe it is federal. Anyone else know??

Comment

Originally posted by RJSPPO View Post
      If Riverdale has a ridiculous residency requirement like that, maybe that would explain why they need to test for new officers every 9-12 months. ****heads live on nearly every street corner in that craphole of a town. Great place to work as a copper if you want to stay busy, but I personally would NEVER live there under ANY circumstance.
      There has to be a loophole.
      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
        Thanks everyone for the reply. I have heard from several people that the town cant make me live in town due to a law, maybe it is federal. Anyone else know??
        Read the Municipal Code for the town. It will have the residency rules spelled out. If it's in the Code, it's enforceable..

Comment

But it there is a state or federal law that states the twon can not force me to live in town, then that would outweigh the municipal ordinance.

Comment

There is none. It's up to the dept, municipality, or county.
            183 FBINA

Comment

It could be a ordinance or it could even be a policy in your general orders. If the rule exists follow it. When you apply I assume or more accurately I hope you were smart enough to be aware of the policies before you took the job. If there is a residency or proximity requirement you agree to abide by it when you took the job. Chicago has a resd requirement, ISP has a resd req you actually have to live in the State of Ill, upon acceptance of the job you agree to be assigned ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois. OKay nice, Cook COunty ha s guys living all over the place as do other agencies. If it is the policy accept it or do not take the job. Were any of you ever in the military, did you questions the rules in place or did you accept it and know that there were consequences if you couldnt get squared away. If you really want to be a cop get squared away. If you dont want to live where they tell you, work somewhere else.
              You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                ISP has a resd req you actually have to live in the State of Ill, upon acceptance of the job you agree to be assigned ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois.
                And when a Trooper gets to his district the district commander decides which county or city the Trooper lives in.
                As cityblusuit said it's part of the job. If a person wants to live in a specific city or county then they should look for a job in that city or county.
                183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                  And when a Trooper gets to his district the district commander decides which county or city the Trooper lives in.
                  As cityblusuit said it's part of the job. If a person wants to live in a specific city or county then they should look for a job in that city or county.
                  I am surprised they have not negotiated that out in one of the contracts. Do many guys violate that or stretch the limits of where they can live?
                  SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
                    I am surprised they have not negotiated that out in one of the contracts. Do many guys violate that or stretch the limits of where they can live?
                    There's no stretching it. It's policy. Everyone knows it when they come on the job. There are good reasons for it. We need people all over the state not just in the central locations. It does no good for a district which covers 4000 sq mi and 7 counties to have all their Troops living in the same county or city and maybe an hours drive to an edge of the district.
                    183 FBINA

Comment

We have a residency clause in our contracts but it was just expanded, instead of having to live in the county, we can now live within 30 miles of the jail. They explain this is needed for resonse times to be kept reasonable. Our county is 720 sq. miles.

Comment

Not to belabor the point but as I said you read the fine print before you took the job. Via negotiations you may be able to get your agency to amend their policies. But dont expect it. This argument can be made on several levels as to what a department is allowed to do, telling you where to live, what kind of weapons you can carry, what degree of indemnification exists for you off duty, and expectations for off duty behavior, if you must have a degree or 60 hours etc etc etc. The rules are generally quite clear and the reason may not always be made clear to you. Just like in the military, there is a reason for everything it may not be clear to you but that doesnt mean it is stupid. JUst like a child, a parent is not obligated to explain every decision the child simply needs to accept that the parent is doing for the benefit of the child. My big picture issues and responsibilities as a police officer became quite different when I became a detective and my issues became different when I became a Sergeant. I imagine those people way up top have a different view on what they need to accomplish and dont always have time to explain or dumb it down...I believe that is what they call policy or when personified, an order. MAybe ISPCAPT can expand on what I am trying to say. The bottom line is that those of you trying to get in the door, get in the door first, do your time, learn the job, get off probation, dont rock the boat, and pick your fights with the brass judiciously.
                        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Nothing I can add to what cityblusuit wrote. As usual he explained the issue very well.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

Residency requirements aren't an unreasonable thing per se. We just had our contract changed so our residency isn't as constricting as before. Now if we didn't get the changes we wanted, does that mean we should sue the village to get our way? Absolutely not! Personally, I think departments should have some incentives on living within their town/county. For instance, if you live in town, you can have a take-home squad otherwise you share one. A town near mine has that policy. Cook County police used to be able to live anywhere and take their squad anywhere. Now those guys who live out of the county can't have a take home squad anymore. I remember in the academy one of the instructors lived in Pontiac and worked for Cook County. That was a nice waste of Cook County tax dollars for the longest time until the rules changed.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can tell most of you are from Chicago or large depts and things are different there than here in these small depts. Guess thats why you guys make the big $$s. Thanks for the input!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11027 users online. 397 members and 10630 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X