300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency Laws in ILL.

I work for a small town in ILL. Can they make me live in that town legally? I have been told there was a law that states that I do not have to but can not find it nor am I sure if it is ILL law or federal law? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PB

If you work in a really small town usually they make you live within 30 miles of the town.
    ****I heard Cicero requires you to live in Cicero****. On the other hand Glencoe does not require the Officers to live there since the average home price is around a million dollars.

If you have the money to contest this in court good luck. It is bullXxXx you should be able to live where ever you want.

Us County guys got this covered we live from Wisconsin to Indiana.

******Sorry for the incorrect info Cicero used to have a residency requirement*****

I guess it changed because Cicero is a Sh*thole. Well some parts are
    Last edited by Jail Guard7160; 01-17-2009, 02:34 AM. Reason: The info i gave was 5 years old OPPS

Comment

Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind residency requirements? Do they think you do a better job if you live where you work? If this is indeed the reason, it's sad that they think you would compromise your ethics and integrity and say, "ahhh, screw it I don't live hee anyways." The way I feel, I would give the same amount of effort no matter where I work or live. Or is it a money thing? Do they want chicago money to stay in chicago? Just thinking out loud, or...well in type.
      "He who makes a beast out of himself, forgoes the pain of being a man "

Comment

Some of it is response time.

Comment

Back when I worked for a small town, of 1,400 it was required that full-timers live in the jurisdiction so they could respond to emergencies off-duty since there may have only been 8 or so cops on duty in the whole county.

While living there I was successful in getting that changed to 15 minutes response time. I had to convince a semi-open minded Village Board that response times were not a viable arguement.

I used the fact that there was not 24 hour coverage in the Village, the Sheriff's Department would respond regardless, the fact that I had to be called at home, wake up, get dressed, get a squad and go to the scene would take roughly the same amount of time it would take for a Sheriff's squad to arrive. There was also another Village that had 24 hour coverage relatively close by.

I also used the fact that if they wanted me to respond from home a take home car was needed or they'd have to put in writing that the Village insurance would cover me in my non-emergency personal vehicle that was not equiped to handle violent prisoners and the amount of liability that posed for the Village. My personal auto insurance has a specific exclusion if I use it in the line of duty, they do not cover me or the auto. What about exposure to other violent subjects once you've arrested someone and the family doesn't like you anymore? You can't just throw a bad guy in your POV. What about on-call time? If you're required to be on-call are you compensated? You should be. What makes your PD attractive to new applicants, especially FT people? Opening up a radius living requirement makes the department more attractive in my eyes. What will retain you there? Hiring and firing is expensive for departments.

The other thing was that I looked into forming a unionized PD of 1 FT and 3 PT guys. That will shake things up in the small town. If they require you to live there, be creative in why it benefits the Village to allow you to live w/in a reasonable area that will still make you part of the community and "officer friendly" who's accessible while you can maintain your sense of "away from work" and security. One other thing I'd keep track of is threats made against you, your home or family and any occurences of vandalism to your property while living in the Village and any liability that poses for you and the Village.

As I stated before, personnel costs are expensive with hiring, training, retaining, insurance etc. Do your homework, find out what comparable departments benefits, pay, training, living requirements and other comparable topics would be. Put this information into a short, concise, accurate, professional looking report and present it to your board.

I'd play to political game and get a board memeber or two into your corner before you present it to the board as a whole as the board member may give you pointers on how to present it.

Good luck.
          Last edited by woodtik25; 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

cicero you have to live in cicero??? LOL im surprised anyone works for them if thats the case!
            Please let me know, Thank you.
            US Army 13M

Comment

Cicero used to have a residency. Back when I lived there and tested there, you had to be a resident of Cicero for 5 years to take the test and had to have letters of recommendation from 3 residents who lived in Cicero for 5 years or longer. If you weren't a hometown boy with a "hook," you weren't getting on Cicero Police or Fire.

Now, Cicero will give you 5 points on the test after you pass a Spanish fluency test. I believe you also get 5 points for military. For those of you test-takers out there, you know that 5 pts. can separate 20 spots or more on a suburban list..Separates hundreds of spots on out promotional lists.

I was near the top of a list that the Town was going to hire all 16 of us ,as they hadn't hired any coppers in the prior 4 -5 years. It was so bad that Cicero was running only 2-3 cars on weekend nights in Town, had only In-car radios, and pretty much everyone was 1-man, except the wagon. Most of the guys I knew carried sawed off shotguns (knew one Det. there that had a double bbl sawed off right on the floor of the car with him all the time). and carbines (Mini14's) in the car with them. (only about 100+ bars in that Town at the time). The list got thrown out over a lawsuit from a female that didn't pass the PAT.

Cicero got rid of their residency about 5 years ago. Now you can live between Rt. 22/ Rt. 80, Lakefront/Rt. 59. Which is most of the metropolitan area.

Residency rules are in place so that the municipality can keep a tighter grip on their employees, and so some tax dollars stay in town. No other reason. One town I worked for had a residency for people hired after 1976. Their reasoning was that you are more "in tune with the community" if you live there and are available for the riot that never happened. That was nice, but I remember a winter morning when everything in that town came to a stand still when it snowed because the plow driver (who had no residency and lived 30 miles away) got snowed in at home and couldn't get to work, while all of us slid around in our orange and white squad cars...
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-15-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
                I work for a small town in ILL. Can they make me live in that town legally? I have been told there was a law that states that I do not have to but can not find it nor am I sure if it is ILL law or federal law? Any help would be greatly appreciated!PB
                Sorry to have rambled on and not answered your question, but the only way you would have any chance of successfully getting around residency is if it was not in place when you were hired, then instituted after you were hired. Otherwise it's pretty much that you knew the rules going in when you applied. No state law prohibiting residency. How a lot of places are getting rid of it is through the Police union contracts and collective bargaining. Most are winning their grievances through this route. Chicago had a law passed in Springfield that our residency can't be decided through collective bargaining.

We have a lot of the newer guys here crying about the residency and that houses are so expensive that they can't afford one, schools are expensive, etc. Believe me I wished we didn't have a residency, buy you knew the rules going in. If residency is something you can't live with, don't apply to places with it..

Comment

Can someone please explain Riverdale's new residency requirement. I've heard so many rumors....something like you can live 20 miles within Riverdale when hired, but if you ever move, you have to move to a spot in Riverdale.

Is this true?
                  Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
                    I work for a small town in ILL. Can they make me live in that town legally? I have been told there was a law that states that I do not have to but can not find it nor am I sure if it is ILL law or federal law? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PB
                    You really might want to consider whether or not you want to sue for this. If you plan on remaining on the department for a career then by all means. But if you are not planning on remaining on the department you should consider the impact that type of lawsuit could have when background investigators from other departments check you out.
                    They could view you as someone who rocks the boat and rule you out of the process. Not saying it is right but it is reality.
                    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

If you look at the Illinois Counties Code and the Illinois Municpal Code, the only residency requirement specifically stated is that Municipalities may require that Auxiliary Police Officers be residents of the Municiality they serve. But just because it does not state that in the law does not mean anything. There is also nothing stated reference college degrees, but many departments require them also. What's next, sue a department you want to work for because they require a degree and you don't have one?
                      What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                        Cicero used to have a residency. Back when I lived there and tested there, you had to be a resident of Cicero for 5 years to take the test and had to have letters of recommendation from 3 residents who lived in Cicero for 5 years or longer. If you weren't a hometown boy with a "hook," you weren't getting on Cicero Police or Fire.

Now, Cicero will give you 5 points on the test after you pass a Spanish fluency test. I believe you also get 5 points for military. For those of you test-takers out there, you know that 5 pts. can separate 20 spots or more on a suburban list..Separates hundreds of spots on out promotional lists.

I was near the top of a list that the Town was going to hire all 16 of us ,as they hadn't hired any coppers in the prior 4 -5 years. It was so bad that Cicero was running only 2-3 cars on weekend nights in Town, had only In-car radios, and pretty much everyone was 1-man, except the wagon. Most of the guys I knew carried sawed off shotguns (knew one Det. there that had a double bbl sawed off right on the floor of the car with him all the time). and carbines (Mini14's) in the car with them. (only about 100+ bars in that Town at the time). The list got thrown out over a lawsuit from a female that didn't pass the PAT.

Cicero got rid of their residency about 5 years ago. Now you can live between Rt. 22/ Rt. 80, Lakefront/Rt. 59. Which is most of the metropolitan area.

Residency rules are in place so that the municipality can keep a tighter grip on their employees, and so some tax dollars stay in town. No other reason. One town I worked for had a residency for people hired after 1976. Their reasoning was that you are more "in tune with the community" if you live there and are available for the riot that never happened. That was nice, but I remember a winter morning when everything in that town came to a stand still when it snowed because the plow driver (who had no residency and lived 30 miles away) got snowed in at home and couldn't get to work, while all of us slid around in our orange and white squad cars...

Cicero has absolutely no residency requirements and no Spanish fluency test, unless that is to get foreign language points which I don't believe they have anyway. You get five points for military and five if your certified. If no military then you must have 60 credits (I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                          Can someone please explain Riverdale's new residency requirement. I've heard so many rumors....something like you can live 20 miles within Riverdale when hired, but if you ever move, you have to move to a spot in Riverdale.

Is this true?
                          Yes, unless they changed it in the last 3 years or so..Better pick where you buy your house wisely..

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                            Cicero has absolutely no residency requirements and no Spanish fluency test, unless that is to get foreign language points which I don't believe they have anyway. You get five points for military and five if your certified. If no military then you must have 60 credits (I believe).
                            I saw the list 2 years ago that had the adjusted scores for those that passed a Spanish fluency test (You got 5 extra points for passing it). If there are no boundries for residency, then that changed in the last 2-3 years..The ones I listed above were the boundries established when Cicero got rid of their residency requirement to live in Town.

Comment

If Riverdale has a ridiculous residency requirement like that, maybe that would explain why they need to test for new officers every 9-12 months. ****heads live on nearly every street corner in that craphole of a town. Great place to work as a copper if you want to stay busy, but I personally would NEVER live there under ANY circumstance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11150 users online. 429 members and 10721 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X