300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit issue

How heavily is the credit portion of the background check weighted for CPD? I know I'm gettting ahead of myself, because the next test hasn't even been announced yet, but seeing as how there is a good amount of time between now and when the CPD would check my credit (if/when i get that far) I have a major decision to make. here's a little background info, 3 years ago I entered the electricians apprenticeship in chicago and had to do 3 mos. of schooling w/o pay and then once we were let out into the field I was making about $7 less an hour than I was at the previous job. My wife and I had a good chunk of money saved up that got us through the 3 months without a problem, but the pay cut and an unplanned pregnancy put us way behind. We ended up putting alot of daily expenses on credit cards, (gas,groceries,utility bills) counting on the raises i was supposed to be getting to pay them off. However things did not go to plan, and now we are faced with filing bankruptcy. Here's the question, would I be better off filing for ch.7 or trying to pay everything back? I won't have everything paid back in time for it to have cleared up before the application process, but would it look better to try and pay back and have a crappy credit score, or file the CH.7 quickly and work on rebuilding credit from there? I was just wondering if there were any recruiters/BI's out there who had some inside info on if one route was worse/better than the other as far as the application process goes.
    "He who makes a beast out of himself, forgoes the pain of being a man "

I will just throw this out for information.... This is what I have seen happen with applicants to the Indiana State Police. I don't know anything about how CPD deals with this issue so this is just food for thought.

When it comes to credit and having a bankruptcy on your credit, it is not just the fact that you have bad credit in your background, it is what you are doing about bad credit.

If you have unpaid debts, are you making arrangements and paying them? Do you have a current history of making payments on time since your issues? Have you accepted responsibility and started correcting past issues? Have you set up payment plans to get the debt taken care of? Is there something catastrophic that shows why you had bad debt? Do you have multiple bankruptcies? How recent are they? How far apart were they? If you have debt, are you now living within your means? Are you still showing poor purchasing and payment history?

Those are things we ask or look at. A recent history of correcting credit issues and showing you are not going back to the old ways will usually get you through our backgrounds.

Just my two cents on the credit topic.
    SPSC 262

Comment

If I recall, they do ask on both the background and the psych if you have ever filed BK or had any bills sent to collections.....now this was 3 or4 years ago when the economy was much better...I'm pretty sure a BK would have given you an automatic DQ then, not sure about now with the way things are....try to call a credit consolidation place that you see on TV all the time...Here's the thing, you got to do what right for you and your family, you don't want to face being sued or have a Lien against you....call your credit cards and see if you can cut a deal...tell them if they don't, you have no choice but to file BK and they will get nothing...if they don't bite, look into colsolidation....make BK your last option until u get the job...after you get the job, if you need to file, then go ahead, many people have, especially now a days. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info......I've already explored options on the credit cards and bankruptcy, I pretty much know the in and out on both processes, I was just wondering if there was definative right or wrong on this one. Seems like with todays economy and the inceasing number of people with credit problems, there may be no telling what's best until CPD makes that decision themselves......Should I e-mail the recruiting dept. and ask them? I'm sure I'll get the generic "we can't advise you on that" response. Anyone else have anything to add?
        "He who makes a beast out of himself, forgoes the pain of being a man "

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4206 users online. 230 members and 3976 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X