300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion Timeline

I'm new here and seriously considering throwing my name in the hat for the CPD. I've already read a bunch of material on here about the academy, the lengthy hiring process,ect. With all that being said, what I want to know is, what's the progression you have to go through to make detective or sgt. and what kind of timeline would i be looking at? 15 years? I'm excited to be able to get on the streets, but I know how I am and would eventually want for something more. I'm just trying to find out what I'm in for if i get lucky enough to get in, or maybe it's not what I am envisioning and i should go elsewhere. I guess what I'm getting at is, is there [I]really[I] ample opportunity for advancement, or am i kidding myself? Just trying to gather some info. Thanks.
    "He who makes a beast out of himself, forgoes the pain of being a man "

Going at this hiring rate, it'd probably take 15 years to get hired!

Comment

"IF" you do get hired, it maybe quite lengthy to see promotion. If CPD is where your heart is at, then stick with it. However, as a general rule, PD's that are heavily recruiting, on an ongoing basis, usually provide a faster route of being promoted or placed into special assignments (vice, narcotics, gang unit) because they are short handed and open slots are harded to fill. Remember, being promoted or placed into a special unit only occurs if there is an opening. The fewer the openings the more competitive it becomes to be placed in one of the slots. You may be on the street "X" amount of years and be the best street cop on the PD, but if there's no open slots you will stay in patrol.

Comment

For CPD, the rule of thumb is that you have to be on patrol for 3 years before you can go to a specialized unit (Gang, tact, ect)....as far as Sgt or Det, I THINK you have to be on for 5 years before you can take the test....you need to have the 60 credit hrs for Sgt....Det you don't (meaning if you get on with your Miltary service, you need 60 hrs to be a Sgt, LT, ect, but you can be a Det).

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. My heart is definately in this. I've tried some other things, it usually takes about 2 to 3 years and i end up bored to tears. I love This city, I grew up in the south burbs and still work all around the city to this day. 2 more questions.....I heard through a co-worker of mine, who's father is CPD and he says the dept. will give you up to a year to move within city limits, is this true? I have a family and it's a little tougher to pick up and move at a moments notice. Also, do you guys get overtime? How often is the overtime available? ok i guess that's 3 questions. But, thanks again for helping.

Comment

I believe you have to be a resident of the city by the day you start the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by archercapt32 View Post
              I believe you have to be a resident of the city by the day you start the academy.
              What Archer said.. The City is very serious about residency. Have to be a resident on the day of hire. Don't worry, they'll give you 2 weeks notice to uproot your family and find somewhere to live..(We got called on Friday night to be at the academy on Mon. morning, but then we had to be city residents to take the test).

OT. You can get OT by filling your "key" dates for court (Misd., Traffic, etc). Make felony arrests, you can get OT for court prelims (Det's get the Grand Jury OT) and when (if) it goes to trial. As far as working the airports or projects at 1 1/2, forget about that until you have a few years on. As far as being a CTA "scab" and working it at straight time, you can do that when you are off probation; you may get a couple days per month. The more good felony arrests (not PCS pinches) you get, the more Trials at 26th St. you get in the hopper to make court OT on..

Comment

thanks a million. You have been extremely helpful. I really hope they test soon so I can give it a shot. Are there any neighborhoods out there where the public schools are decent? I've been told that I am pretty much looking at private school tuition in addition to my new, higher living costs. I have a few friends who live in Beverly and west beverly who recommend it, but they don't have school age children. I've heard that pretty much anywhere you go, CPS are not where you want to put your kids if you actually want a quality education for them.

Comment

If you have kids I would highly recomend becoming the police in the suburbs. Chicago public schools are horrible. Drive by one or listen to a police zone when they let out. On top of that the private schools know this as well and gouge you. You could put you child through college for the price of one of these schools.

Comment

Beverly area: Catholic grade school for 2 children is 5,000. Catholic High School for 2 children is 17,000-18,000. In my area, Mt. Greenwood School isn't a bad elementary school, but you will have to go Cath. H.S. whether you are on the south or northwest side..
                    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I just graduated from catholic high school in 2005 so I believe I can help. I went to St. Francis Borgia grade school and tuition when I graduated was 8,000 per year and books were included. I attended Holy Cross high school on the north side for my freshman and sophomore year of high school and tuition was 6,400 a year. However, I finished my last two years at Mount Carmel on the south side and tuition was substantially cheaper at 5,300 a year including books due to the strong alumni association that donates so much money. I can give the "411" on the majority of the Chicago area schools, PM me if you'd like further info.

-Mike

Comment

Wow, that's an eye opener. I have 3 kids......seems like kind of a stretch to get them all in private school. That is, unless I don't have to move until my wife finishes her nursing degree. Which, based on the length of the application process and the fact that a new test date hasn't even been announced, may be possible. Oh yeah, one last thing. When i looked on the CPD recruiting website, they listed "home purchase assistance" as a benfit of being a part of CPD. What exactly does that consist of?

Comment

Originally posted by mike9817 View Post
                          However, I finished my last two years at Mount Carmel on the south side and tuition was substantially cheaper at 5,300 a year including books due to the strong alumni association that donates so much money. -Mike
                          $8100 per student (if you have 2 enrolled and pay the whole year up front, you get approx. $700 knocked off of the total)as of this year, books and activity fees NOT included (add approx $700-$800 per student for books / activity fee). If your kid will be taking the MC bus to school, add another $1200 per year, per student. This is as of the 2008/09 school year (I have the cancelled checks to prove it).

All the southside Catholic HS's (Mount Carmel, Br. Rice, St. Rita, Marist, St. Laurence, De LaSalle are about the same give or take $100-200 per Year). I've heard from others that St. Ignatius is about 10K per year.

The home buying assistance is a program to put the police in homes in the worst parts of the city. It's great if you don't mind being one of the few houses on your block not boarded up, or mind you kids being security for GD dope dealers (or hey, your daughter having a Latin King "Inca's" kid at 14 isn't all that bad ..LOL).
                          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

So I'm guessing the home buying prog. is kind of useless unless you are batman.

Comment

Holy crap, my years at UIC were cheaper than that!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9399 users online. 325 members and 9074 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X