300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Program

Me and a friend of mien are considering going into the explorer program until we are of age to join a department.

Right now I do not know much, so I have some Questions.

The closest departments that I know of t hat have the program are Grayslake PD and Waukegan PD. I know that Waukegan is much busier and rougher. Would it be better for us to go to Waukegan or does it not really matter?

How much time does the program take up. I ask because I ALready go to school full time and work part time.

What kind of training is provided?

Thanks in advance.

Call up Berwyn P.D.. I have a friend who was an Explorer there when we were in high school and now he works there full time. I wish I had done it when I was that age too.

Comment

I know someone who did the Waukegan explorer program a couple of years ago and he loved it.

Sidenote: Berwyn had some guy who failed two portions of the POWER test at the academy the other day. This guy flat out quit on himself, 1 lap into his run he just walked to his car and pulled off. I was shocked, because I thought he was in shape......he was a big muscle bound guy.
      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Dont forget Will county explorers They are awesome...Not that I would know PM if ya are interested.
        Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
        Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I probably should mention that my goal is to eventually join Chicago Police.

So I guess what I am asking is which of the programs you mentioned would help prepare me for that. I assumed Waukegan because it is a bit of a bigger city

Comment

I'm not in, from or have ever even been to Illinois, but I do have some experience with the Explorer program. I spent 6 1/2 years in the program. It has its ups & downs, people come and go, some people are just there to ride along with cops while a small amount actually WANT to be cops and an even smaller amount eventually meet their goals.

I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I had a lot of fun, made some good friends (okay, I only keep in contact with one still), learned some things along the way and it's something else I could put on my resume.

As far as how much time it consumes, it can consume as much as you want probably. We usually had pretty regular special events (traffic control, parking cars, parades, etc.) especially in the summer, meetings every other weekend, training for the color guard if you were part of that and I did a lot of things on my own time once I made rank. I'm a very organized, detail oriented type person who likes things to be a certain way (read: OCD) so I did a lot with updating forms, filing, maintaining our office, etc. I was always trying to make things better, made lots of phone calls for reminders and to get others involved and the like.

As for training, at our meetings we usually did some typical meeting stuff for 30 minutes to an hour, then some type of training. Building searches, car stops (always a favorite), CPR, first aid, traffic collision investigation, crime scene investigation, domestic violence/disturbance calls, radio procedure, handcuffing, run up and down the street with gas masks on to see how hard it is to breathe, etc. Sometimes we had other agencies come in to talk to us about how they operate. We visited other agencies and had a bomb squad demo a couple times. Things of that nature.

The Explorer program is beneficial. When people used to ask, I would tell them, "It's a career enhancement program for someone seeking a law enforcement career."

I think it opens yours eyes somewhat to what police work really is and it's not all glorious like it is on TV. It will help to either confirm or deny your desire to be a police officer before you actually waste your time getting hired and THEN find out it's not for you.

If you're interested, give it a shot. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Thank you NBW. That was very informative.

Comment

Apparently Waukegan has no available spots in thier program right now.

What kind of town is Berwyn? I have never been there

Comment

Originally posted by Rattlehead View Post
                  Apparently Waukegan has no available spots in thier program right now.

What kind of town is Berwyn? I have never been there
                  very different.....
                  Please let me know, Thank you.
                  US Army 13M

Comment

Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
                    very different.....
                    After the massive "white flight" to the far burbs, the west side moved in.

Comment

berwyn has a decent side where elderly refuse to give up there spots where they lived forever but then you have the trash from cicero and the wonderful smell of the crap plant that you can smell 24/7, refreshing!
                      US Army 13M

Comment

Berwyn and Waukegan are extremely similar actually. Waukegan has less of a "Chicago" feeling since it is in Lake County. But they both have large hispanic populations, and also decent sized white populations, and both have busy and good pd's. Waukegan is more up and coming (or at least has more potential) while Berwyn is steady slipping.

Comment

What About Cicero? would that be any good?

I'm looking for a good PD that would prepare me for urban policing in Chicago.

Comment

i had a class @ the cpd academy with a copper from there and know through a friend a cicero cop and they love it tons of action. I dunno if they have an explorer program on here. Try palos park PD to ive seen there "cadets" doing controlling traffic with their tag along at a few small busy intersections in the summer. Plus they help out with any events as well. They get to wear the same uniform as the police do. I know they have explorer programs through high school and college internships as well
                            US Army 13M

Comment

How close to Elgin are you? Elgin has a GREAT program, at least It was while I was an Explorer. If you have questions just call the PD and ask for Community Policing and Crime Prevention someone in that division can help you.

Elgin is a Great Dept and has alot to offer for training. It is a town with a good mix of everything. Not to mention they have been very successful in state and national conferences.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9666 users online. 474 members and 9192 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X