300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago PD

So I have learned from this board that they are currently on a hiring freeze? Is that correct? Does anyone know once the new year starts if they are going to start hiring again? Any CPD officers that can tell me about the department? Do they offer the 20 year and out gig?

I have been a cop for about 11+ years, mainly in small rural areas in Wisconsin. I am getting really bored with the type of work I deal with on a daily basis and I dont have no room for advancement. I need more action packed work so I have been looking at bigger departments. We have little to no action in our area and its making me unmotivated and I am getting really complacent (thats my fault, I know). My wife would love to move to Chicago. Any input on CPD appreciated. My goal is to become a detective/investigator someday.

The last test was Nov 2006 and no one has a clue when the next test will be. A lot of us heard rumors earlier in the year about a possible test in Nov 2008 and others thought there might be a test in Early 2009, but that was before the mayor released the budget and said that they only have the money for 200 new hires. Those 200 will come from the 2006 exams. The CPD is short handed, however Mayor Daley feels that funding the Olympics in 2016 is more important than hiring police.

For a 75% pension I believe you have to work 29 years and 1 day. You can leave at 20 years but I believe you will only get 50%.

Best of luck and im sure others will jump in with more info!

Comment

From what I've read, those 200 hires for 2009 should just about take care of the rest of the February 2006 testers. After that, you have the June, August and then November testers.

Take me for instance, I'm a November tester and I definitely wouldn't get hired in 2009, late 2011 or even 2012 is more of the reality.

Being that Chicago does not allow lateral transfers, you'd have to start the process over again. Even if they gave the test tomorrow, you probably wouldn't get on until 2012 at the earliest.

But then again, if they do get the olympics, you can be sure that the money will come from somewhere and there would be a mass hiring, most likely shortening the time it takes to get hired.

Comment

Why would you want to put new recruits through the academy when you can spend millions on restoring Buckingham Fountain.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsSox View Post
          Why would you want to put new recruits through the academy when you can spend millions on restoring Buckingham Fountain.
          as the guiness guys would say, BRILLIANT!!!!!!
          Please let me know, Thank you.
          US Army 13M

Comment

IL Edmond I would really hope you got in the academy before 2012, thats a six year wait. Sooner or later the city will have to hire. They are extremely short handed, not to mention Chicago is about 6 days away from being the murder capital of the US. That says alot when the city has more murders than NYC and over 100 more than LA, especially when they are paying a FED Supt. over 300,000 a year! Who knows maybe Daley is just waiting for Obama to throw some federal money this way, so that they can hire more police.

Comment

What kind of specialized units/divisions does CPD have?

Comment

Originally posted by Rattlehead View Post
                What kind of specialized units/divisions does CPD have?
                it's only one of the biggest departments in the country, what specialized unit are you looking for?

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...alized%20Units
                Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Wow, it is going to take that long? That is unreal. Other larger cities have 2-3 hiring processes a year, what gives with CPD? Does anyone know if they allow people to do ride alongs. I would love to do that for a weekend to check it out. I just can't imagine waiting that long though.

Comment

you need to have juice to do ride alongs
                    US Army 13M

Comment

Why don't you look into Milwaukee? If you want to live in a large metropolix like Chicago you can always live here and work in a suburb. Many Chicago suburbs feel just like Chicago neighborhoods but sometimes offer better pay and benefits. With 11 years on and a wife you might want to think about that. Especially since Chicago does not have a lateral program you will start over with no seniority and no pension built up. Some suburbs do offer said program and penion buy-ins however.

Comment

I actually looked into Milwaukee PD tonight. For the life of me I can't find their salaries anywhere on their website. Probably right in front of me but couldn't find it.

EDGE- what do you mean you have to have juice to do a ride-along?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnylawman109 View Post
                          EDGE- what do you mean you have to have juice to do a ride-along?
                          meaning you have to know someone to pull strings to get one of those. I have family on CPD and they told me wasnt happening. While another person on here there father is CPD i think a Sgt and he got to do one.
                          US Army 13M

Comment

I feel bad for one of my close bud, he was a Nov 2006 tester. And I tested for my Department Aug of this year and now I'm heading into the Academy on Jan 5th and he is still on the background phase. So I feel for the guys who want to be a Chicago Cop, to be honest that was what I was shooting for too but I couldn't afford to wait that long. But with the department that took me on, I'm very excited to work with them and give them my all. What I'm trying to say in a nut shell is, There are other great Departments in the state of IL not just CPD. If you want to be a Cop here just apply everywhere and anywhere you can and let everything fall into place. I was very blessed because to be honest this was the only department I applied for. I wish you all the best and I pray that every good, squared away men get hired.
                            Last edited by 2/75th RGR RGT; 12-26-2008, 11:23 PM. Reason: typos
                            sigpic
                            Train hard,fight easy!
                            "OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM" 2004-2005

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Comment

Nevermind, answered my own question.
                              Last edited by MorseAve1134; 12-27-2008, 02:24 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10539 users online. 419 members and 10120 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X