replied
    Originally posted by RyBaK477 View Post
    get_low I sent you a pm.--- 116 class secretary/treasurer
    No, you didn't. Integrity issue here...

Leave a comment:

• RyBaK477
    replied
    Originally posted by get_low View Post
    Come on people, you only need to be in the 40 percentile to pass the power test. I don't consider myself "in shape" and I ended up in the 70s and 80s. Just don't kill yourself preparing and you should be fine.

Regarding the original question, I know one guy that failed even though he did 40-some sit ups. Why? A lot of those they didn't count because he didn't interlace his fingers behind his head. Just do it correctly and you'll be fine.
    get_low I sent you a pm.--- 116 class secretary/treasurer

Leave a comment:

• get_low
    replied
    Come on people, you only need to be in the 40 percentile to pass the power test. I don't consider myself "in shape" and I ended up in the 70s and 80s. Just don't kill yourself preparing and you should be fine.

Regarding the original question, I know one guy that failed even though he did 40-some sit ups. Why? A lot of those they didn't count because he didn't interlace his fingers behind his head. Just do it correctly and you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• ESCMarine
    replied
    Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
    bad news- I failed the run i didnt realize how important it was to hydrate the night before and a little bit before. It was 22 laps around this small track and by lap 15 my tounge was dried up along with my mouth and i felt like i was going to die. The sit and reach was no problem, the sits up they did let you put your arms on your chest. I did the 37 sit ups in about 37-38 seconds and i benched 230 no problem. Im starting to realize alot of muscle is bad for cardio and running. I also think running in a circle 22 times played mind games. I usually run 1.5-2.0 miles on a treadmill at the gym @ about 6.5mph and have no problems. Oh well i guess Gurnee wasnt meant to be but im thankful for the experience of my first power test.
    Not trying to make you feel more down then you already do, but do not count on a treadmill, it is good for calorie burn, but not for actual running.

You have to run on the street, the gravity holding you to pavement is what makes you put an effort in. do that for a 1,2,3 mile run. Stay at a 3 mile relatively fast, like at a 24 minute pace for the 3 mile. then when you do the power test you would be able to push harder for the mile and a half.

Leave a comment:

• 0311Grunt
    replied
    Although it will never be changed, I personally believe that a distance run for the power test should be changed to a sprint....maybe .25 of a mile in a certain time, or an obstacle course, 100 yard dash, climb a couple fences, couple flight of stairs ect...any cop who has been on the street knows it is very unlikely to chase an offender 1.5 miles on foot. Just my 2 cents. SO for the POWER work on the distance, but for the streets, work on your inital burst of speed...and remember your not chasing these people wearing shorts and running shoes, you got boots, a vest and a full duty belt to run with, and your not on a soft treadmill, your running thru icy gangways and yards/alleys

Leave a comment:

• ChgoPaintball
    replied
    Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
    Chgo - didn't you complete the academy not too long ago? You should be in tip top shape man!

Yes 1 year ago. I let myself go a little bit. Am i ****ed about it....yes. So since I have a lot of free time, im always at the gym.

Leave a comment:

• ChgoPaintball
    replied
    Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
    If you could only run beside me on these tests haha id be running them in 12 and under! I think im going to lay off the weights for a few weeks and just run.
    I do push ups at home (also with the "perfect pushup") and Im at the gym every other day running. Want to run outside but its freezing out.

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    yeah i realize not the best way to put it, but you all know what i meant

Leave a comment:

• A1CSpooky
    replied
    Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
    When I tested for my current PD they did NOT allow you to wear any kind of headset while running. While it is a great idea and I work out and run with an IPOD all the time, I would not count on it as your pace maker, there may be a PD out there that does not allow it.

if you're using an IPOD as a pacemaker, we've got bigger problems to deal with than the P.O.W.E.R test...hahaha jk

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    This is a very good point....

When I trained for the power test I ran on an outside track (the actual test was on an indoor track...15 laps). I trained while listening to an IPOD because I knew I'd be able to use one on the test. I had 4 songs on there all of which totalled around 15 minutes or so. I knew by the end of song one I had to complete a certain number of laps to be on or ahead of pace. The same by song two, etc.

If song 3 was coming to an end I knew I was in trouble as I had only 13:46 to finish the test. Song 4? Forget about it!!

I hated the idea of using or looking at a stopwatch so I figured the IPOD would be the next best thing.

When I tested for my current PD they did NOT allow you to wear any kind of headset while running. While it is a great idea and I work out and run with an IPOD all the time, I would not count on it as your pace maker, there may be a PD out there that does not allow it.

Leave a comment:

• ChiCity
    replied
    When I trained for the power test I ran on an outside track (the actual test was on an indoor track...15 laps). I trained while listening to an IPOD because I knew I'd be able to use one on the test. I had 4 songs on there all of which totalled around 15 minutes or so. I knew by the end of song one I had to complete a certain number of laps to be on or ahead of pace. The same by song two, etc.

If song 3 was coming to an end I knew I was in trouble as I had only 13:46 to finish the test. Song 4? Forget about it!!

I hated the idea of using or looking at a stopwatch so I figured the IPOD would be the next best thing.
    That's genius.

I would do that if I had an Ipod.

For me, I only run on a treadmill, I've had no problems with the run. When you are preparing yourself for a power test tho, the trick is to make sure that you can run your 1.5 mile at 6.7 speed on an incline. (The treadmills at my gym you can adjust them to have an incline, I assume most treadmills do this, but if you are on a real old school treadmill I guess you could just throw some plates or books under the front). I try to run every day, but I usually do it in 4 half-mile intervals between my lifting sets. I try to go for the 1.5 mile maybe once or twice a week. ANYWAY, getting back to the incline, start on 0.5, and every week push the incline up by another half-unit. Don't move on to the next incline until you've run your 1.5 mile at least once on that level. Once you are able to run a mile and a half on a 3.0 incline or greater, nothing -not wind, snow, dry mouth, little track-- will be able to stop you, you will feel like you are running downhill.

I'm not a runner myself, the most I've ever done at once is 2 miles. However, I have never failed the run portion of the POWER.

You are right, being all muscle is definitely hard on cardio. I learned this from Joe Rogan watching a UFC fight: Your heart has to pump oxygen to all of that muscle mass, so the more muscle mass you have, your endurance will take a hit.

One more thing on the dry mouth. I always bring a bottle of water with me to the run for that very reason. I put it down somewhere nearby whatever we are running on, close enough that I could grab it without leaving the running area. I've never had to use it, but I'd always figured that if my mouth got unbearably dry, I would just stop for a second, grab it, take a sip and keep running. I don't think any dept would fail you for that, as long as you don't leave the designated running area and you aren't in peoples' way. Or you could use it as your carrot on a stick, tell yourself that you can treat yourself to a life-sustaining sip of water as soon as you finish all your laps.

Leave a comment:

• Edge06128
    replied
    i woulda brought my ipod but i didnt think we could use them a few people there had them now i know for next time

Leave a comment:

• TOPPED_OUT
    replied
    Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
    2 main reasons why people fail the run when they think they're ready:
    1) They train on a treadmill and never get out and run on a track. A treadmill will help your cardio but it's not the same as running on a track.
    2) People who are 8 mile/min runners have never run with a pack before and the outpace themselves. When the pack starts out the sub-5 minute milers take off in a dash and those only capable of doing 8 minute miles try to keep up instead of knowing their own pace. After about 2 laps the 8 minute people are toast, cramping, and won't finish in time.
    Seen both of these causes many times.
    Get off the treadmill and run on the street or track. Time yourself so you know what your split times are. When you get your times below what is required then you'll be ready for the test. Then don't worry about the other runners. Watch your split times, stick with your pace, and keep chugging. The people who finish the 1.5 miles in 7 minutes get the same passing grade as those who finish it in 12 minutes.
    Remember that what you're taking is a screening test. The test that matters is the one at the academy. The PD you tested with may have allowed you to put your arms on your chest. That won't cut it at the academy. If you don't pass the academy test which is mandated by the ILETSB then you're out. And don't think the academy won't boot for not passing either. Happens every class. Train to pass the state standard and you'll be OK. Just train to "get by" on a dept test and you'll liable to be sent home the first week. End of LE career.

This is a very good point....

Leave a comment:

• Edge06128
    replied
    yes the test was run by public safety recruitment and they guy administering the test was just a helper not a leo not anyone affiliated with gurnee PD so i think thats why we got to do it anyway we wanted to

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13118 users online. 239 members and 12879 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X