300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Situps

From what I believe, you have to have your fingers interlocked, and they cannot become unlocked, while you do the sit-ups. That is the chicago standard, and during the test, you have to do what they say. If not, they will "yell" at you and if you cant stand being yelled at, good luck. You also have to remember, you have to treat the power test like it is an interview, because it is part of it. The testers do watch to see who is "sandbaggin" and who is going all out. It doesnt reflect your score so much as it might sit in the back of their minds. So just prepare, as for the holidays and eating too much, like others said, just eat a small breakfast, fruit and water maybe, and bring a snack for the way home. Good luck to all
    "It's a whole lot better to go up the river with seven studs than a hundred ****heads."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Comment

OK, I'll bite...

CRAZY!

The hands behind head is much more difficult. It's something to do with the body mechanics and eliminating the ability to use any upper back muscles on the upswing. Even keeping your hands over your ears is easier than laced behind your head.
      Take it from me, I'm a victim of thinking improper form was "good enough". Failed in the first shot at sit-ups. I had been doing 100s of crunches etc a day up until a week before the test. Converting 1 week out to "real" sit-ups was an eye opener.
      The only solution is to lace 'em and crank 'em out every day. I know your test is tommorrow, and it sounds like you'll make it, but keep doing those laced sit-ups until the academy, because I've been told they'll demand them there with no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Nader629 View Post
        im not a P/O but you shouldn't lose sleep over it, if you fail that portion from what ive seen they allow you to do it one more time you just need to get to the back of the line departments that i applied for thats what ive seen them do. This is what i do i dont eat befor i show up, i have a some type of fruit, and a bottle of water. This will help especially when your doing the sit ups PM if you have some questions on the power test. Good Luck!
        I dont know of any dept that gives you two chances, if they do now things have changed and PD's must be more desperate for people

Comment

Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
          I dont know of any dept that gives you two chances, if they do now things have changed and PD's must be more desperate for people
          someone point these depts out that are desperate for people
          Please let me know, Thank you.
          US Army 13M

Comment

Ok, I'll add my two cents.

The first P.O.W.E.R. test I ever took, I failed, because of the sit-up portion. I had been practicing by doing sets of thirty sit-ups on an incline bench with a fifteen-pound weight on my chest. I thought for SURE I was ready. Then a week before my test I tried to do sit-ups on the the floor with my hands behind my head-- I ran out of gas at 25 sit-ups, couldn't do a single one more. So, as it as already been stated, hands behind the head seems to work a different muscle group and can be more difficult. I've found that when I'm at the gym working on the P.O.W.E.R. sit-up, the following days I feel the soreness in my quads and hips, not in my abs. (However, I do happen to have long legs and a short torso, so maybe that's why).

To answer your original question, some depts. are strictly hands behind the head, some tell you that you can either do hands behind the head or crossing your chest, others don't care and don't give any direction on it. The most lenient I've seen was Evanston, which directed everyone that they must either do hands behind the head or on the chest, yet was letting people pass who were doing neither and people whose backs weren't even close to touching the mat (air crunches I guess). The guy who I was paired with was flailing his arms like he was fighting an invisible person on every sit-up after about 20, but he somehow flailed his way to 37 and he passed. ---So the point of this long paragraph, is that it's very possible that they will let you do arms on the chest.

In regards to getting a 2nd try, I'd say that the majority of depts. I've taken the P.O.W.E.R. with have given people a 2nd try on either the sit-ups or bench press. Evanston even gave folks a 2nd try on the run. Most of the people scoring each part of the test feel bad for the applicants who try really hard and just come up a little short, so they say, "Tell you what, take it easy, come back in [designated amount of time], and try again" so they don't feel as bad. HOWEVER, I'd advise you to not bother taking a second try, because if you couldn't do it the first time around, you sure as heck won't be able to do it the 2nd time around, especially after you wasted all that energy trying to do it the first time. As pitiful as it was for you the fail once, it is even more pitiful to fail twice, so just take take your wounded pride, walk out, and resign yourself to working hard and making sure you pass your next P.O.W.E.R.

In terms of diet, I eat a couple of eggs scrambled and some whole grain toast before every P.O.W.E.R and I've never had any problems. Usually when I work out in the morning I just eat an apple or a banana before hand and have found that that gives me enough energy to get a good workout without making my stomach feel full or uncomfortable. The biggest thing for me is watching what I eat the night before, making sure I don't overeat or eat anything too fatty or spicy that would give me gas or cause me digestive problems the next day.

Finally, if your test is on a Saturday, try not to do any ab work after the Tuesday before. The last thing you want is to get partway though the sit-up portion of your test and realize you are still a little bit sore from the last time you worked on your abs. At least for me, that would be one more thing that I'd have to battle mentally to get my body to do something it doesn't want to.
            Last edited by ChiCity; 12-20-2008, 02:58 AM. Reason: typos
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Just pace yourself consistently so you don't burn yourself out after the first 20. You'll be able to do it. Remember to pace your breathing as well. I'm not very good at the situp portion either but I did manage a high of 47 in 1 minute by properly breathing and pacing myself. If you just lay down and start hammering them out with reckless abandon, you might lose control of your breathing rhythm and fail.

As for breakfast, I usually don't eat on the mornings that I workout, but that's just me. Even when I wake up earlier than usual to hit a 2-3 miles on the treadmill, I don't eat beforehand.

You can do it! Keep your pace and breathing consistent.

Comment

"In regards to getting a 2nd try, I'd say that the majority of depts. I've taken the P.O.W.E.R. with have given people a 2nd try on either the sit-ups or bench press. Evanston even gave folks a 2nd try on the run. Most of the people scoring each part of the test feel bad for the applicants who try really hard and just come up a little short, so they say, "Tell you what, take it easy, come back in [designated amount of time], and try again" so they don't feel as bad. HOWEVER, I'd advise you to not bother taking a second try, because if you couldn't do it the first time around, you sure as heck won't be able to do it the 2nd time around, especially after you wasted all that energy trying to do it the first time. As pitiful as it was for you the fail once, it is even more pitiful to fail twice, so just take take your wounded pride, walk out, and resign yourself to working hard and making sure you pass your next P.O.W.E.R."

Things have changed then, cause when I was testin if u fell one short on the situps or fingers came on done you were done and failed. If you lifted a foot or arched your back on the bench, you failed.

Comment

power test

Some depts will let you slide when it comes to the power test, if and only if you are close, but they will tell you that the academy will not be lenient when it comes to the physical portions of the test. If you cant do it right in the academy, you will fail.
                  "It's a whole lot better to go up the river with seven studs than a hundred ****heads."
                  "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Comment

bad news- I failed the run i didnt realize how important it was to hydrate the night before and a little bit before. It was 22 laps around this small track and by lap 15 my tounge was dried up along with my mouth and i felt like i was going to die. The sit and reach was no problem, the sits up they did let you put your arms on your chest. I did the 37 sit ups in about 37-38 seconds and i benched 230 no problem. Im starting to realize alot of muscle is bad for cardio and running. I also think running in a circle 22 times played mind games. I usually run 1.5-2.0 miles on a treadmill at the gym @ about 6.5mph and have no problems. Oh well i guess Gurnee wasnt meant to be but im thankful for the experience of my first power test.
                    US Army 13M

Comment

Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
                      bad news- I failed the run...I usually run 1.5-2.0 miles on a treadmill at the gym @ about 6.5mph and have no problems. Oh well i guess Gurnee wasnt meant to be but im thankful for the experience of my first power test.
                      Sorry to hear about hat Edge. Dont get discouraged. Take it as a learning experience to improve yourself for the next one. I failed Summit PD last week. I was confident about the run since I can do a mile in 8 mins (run alongside Midway Airport). For some reason doing 14 laps around a track just killed me.

Well getting ready for January. Have a test every weekend.

Comment

thats the thing that kills me is running ALOT of laps like that it something with my mind that i dunno what it is
                        US Army 13M

Comment

btw chgo ill be with at you at all those tests im praying to god that none of these tests have similiar runs
                          US Army 13M

Comment

You guy's miss the run by a little or alot? Here is the deal, you said that the laps, etc., played "mind games", well...that is what alot of this job is about. When it comes to the run, unless someone really is in horrible shape, it is more mental than physical. Take this from a mid 30's guy with 2 knee surgeries, a decade on this job which results in a bad back regardless, and I'm in very good shape, but am a weight lifter not a runner. So my 230 pound frame is far from graceful on the run...lol. But even I pulled it off in 12 minutes for my second PD cause I was HIGHLY motivated to make a change. So I will offer some words of advice and "tough love". It's not that this "wasn't meant to be", it's "you didn't want it bad enough"...and this isn't being rude, it's the truth. When some piece of garbage jumps you on a traffic stop and it's a fight for your life, there is no timeout for a dry mouth. This run is for your FUTURE, take control of it, don't chalk it up to some destiny or not meant to be stuff. Dammit, grab it by the balls, and run, fight, etc., like your life depends on it. All someone has to do is kick it in the *** for 13 minutes, run hard, and that 13 minutes could very well lead you to a career that will last you for 30 years, buy you a house, cars, support a family, etc. So this is NOT a knock on you guy's, basically what I am saying is just friggin' give it your all and offer no excuses. If you were physically prepared for it, your mental is what failed you. And if someone was not physically prepared, well shame on them, I take no pity because it was no secret what you had to do and were given more than enough time. So I don't doubt any of you couldn't physically do it, toughen up mentally, give it your all, and get through the steps for a future you claim you want. Train like hell, do better than the standards, and get that future. Again, I am NOT putting anyone down, just hope to light a fire under your arses
                            Last edited by dogcop; 12-21-2008, 12:34 AM.
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

If you could only run beside me on these tests haha id be running them in 12 and under! I think im going to lay off the weights for a few weeks and just run.
                              Last edited by Edge06128; 12-20-2008, 05:37 PM.
                              US Army 13M

Comment

2 main reasons why people fail the run when they think they're ready:
                                1) They train on a treadmill and never get out and run on a track. A treadmill will help your cardio but it's not the same as running on a track.
                                2) People who are 8 mile/min runners have never run with a pack before and the outpace themselves. When the pack starts out the sub-5 minute milers take off in a dash and those only capable of doing 8 minute miles try to keep up instead of knowing their own pace. After about 2 laps the 8 minute people are toast, cramping, and won't finish in time.
                                Seen both of these causes many times.
                                Get off the treadmill and run on the street or track. Time yourself so you know what your split times are. When you get your times below what is required then you'll be ready for the test. Then don't worry about the other runners. Watch your split times, stick with your pace, and keep chugging. The people who finish the 1.5 miles in 7 minutes get the same passing grade as those who finish it in 12 minutes.
                                Remember that what you're taking is a screening test. The test that matters is the one at the academy. The PD you tested with may have allowed you to put your arms on your chest. That won't cut it at the academy. If you don't pass the academy test which is mandated by the ILETSB then you're out. And don't think the academy won't boot for not passing either. Happens every class. Train to pass the state standard and you'll be OK. Just train to "get by" on a dept test and you'll liable to be sent home the first week. End of LE career.
                                Last edited by ISPCAPT; 12-20-2008, 06:12 PM.
                                183 FBINA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12757 users online. 403 members and 12354 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X