300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power test question

in the sit up part of the power test can you have your arms at your chest or do they have to be locked behind your head?
    Please let me know, Thank you.
    US Army 13M

From my experience every department I've tested for before I got on had been different. Most say you must have your arms interlocked behind your head, while I've seen a few that allow you to cross your arms across your chest. I would practice with them behind your head, as this is the style you'll most likely come across...

Comment

grrr thats gonna suck i hve always trained with my arms on my chest thats how PFT's were given in rotc now im kinda freakin out about my power test with gurnee tommorow because im going to be really aggravated if i fail this test because of sit ups
      US Army 13M

Comment

Originally posted by Edge06128 View Post
        grrr thats gonna suck i hve always trained with my arms on my chest thats how PFT's were given in rotc now im kinda freakin out about my power test with gurnee tommorow because im going to be really aggravated if i fail this test because of sit ups
        im not a P/O but you shouldn't lose sleep over it, if you fail that portion from what ive seen they allow you to do it one more time you just need to get to the back of the line departments that i applied for thats what ive seen them do. This is what i do i dont eat befor i show up, i have a some type of fruit, and a bottle of water. This will help especially when your doing the sit ups PM if you have some questions on the power test. Good Luck!
        Last edited by Nader629; 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM.
        Countryside Police Department
        Written: 5/3/08 Passed 71
        Oral Group Interview: 5/14/08 Passed
        Background: To be scheduled
        Polygraph: To be scheduled
        Phys: To be scheduled
        -----------------------------------------------
        Justice Police Department
        Written: 9/13/08 passed, no score given
        Oral: 12/19/08
        Background: To be scheduled
        Polygraph: To be scheduled
        Phys: To be scheduled

Comment

You did your situps in ROTC with your arms on your chest?! I am an Officer in the National Guard (I didn't go through ROTC though to get my commission) and I am surprised you did situps that way because the Army APFT is very strict and clear about your hands being interlocked behind your neck for the situp portion of the test. You'd better get used to doing them that way if you're going to get a commission in any component of the Army!

Most of the POWER tests I've taken required your hands behind your head (one sheriff's department allowed either option, which I was surprised by) so I would train for the harder (hands behind head) since if you can do that you will be able to do the easier (hands crossed on chest) as well.

I always train well above the standard so that I'm not even worried about passing the physical test when the time comes.

Comment

sorta off topic....

i really dont feel like taking the POWER test on the 30th. i'm not out of shape by any means, but i know this holiday food is gonna have it's way with me.
            Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by ilparkcop View Post
              You did your situps in ROTC with your arms on your chest?! I am an Officer in the National Guard (I didn't go through ROTC though to get my commission) and I am surprised you did situps that way because the Army APFT is very strict and clear about your hands being interlocked behind your neck for the situp portion of the test. You'd better get used to doing them that way if you're going to get a commission in any component of the Army!

Most of the POWER tests I've taken required your hands behind your head (one sheriff's department allowed either option, which I was surprised by) so I would train for the harder (hands behind head) since if you can do that you will be able to do the easier (hands crossed on chest) as well.

I always train well above the standard so that I'm not even worried about passing the physical test when the time comes.
              AFROTC
              US Army 13M

Comment

Edge, do you think you are in bad or out of shape? The POWER test really is very easy. Also once you get that adren dump going, you should have no problems. When I hopped ship from my old Dept and got on my new one, I was over 30, so my standards were easier, and for the run and situps, I did the standard for myself as if I was under 30 years old. I still had 15 seconds left with the situps and was not killing myself. I also did the run in 12 minutes, and I am as far from a runner as it gets. Just get a good night sleep, don't have too big of a breakfast and just knock it out, you should be fine.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Here are the standards. A pdf pamphlet from the ILETSB.
                  http://www.bolingbrook.com/content/1199395343.pdf
                  A dept might allow something different for their selection process but you still have to meet the state standards at the academy. What that means is if PD "X" allows you to put your arms on your chest then all you've done is passed that dept's test. If you don't pass the ILETSB test at the academy then you're gone. Doesn't matter if you passed a dept's test. If you're gone from the academy that means you aren't certified as a LEO and if you aren't certified as a LEO then you aren't for that dept or any dept in IL.
                  183 FBINA

Comment

im in average shape not the best not the worst. Im more of a muscular guy than cardio wise. Last AF PFT i took i maxed out on sit ups in one minute. I did a mini power test the other night nd my buddy whose a PO corrected while i was doing sit ups and the hands behind my head and i thought it was ALOT harder i barely hit my 37 in the minute.
                    US Army 13M

Comment

just outta curiosity what kinda breakfast do you think i should eat before this test. Keep in mind its going to be about a good two hours between breakfast and the test. I guess im just freaking out because all previous depts ive tested with didnt do a power test so this is my first one
                      US Army 13M

Comment

I think bananas give you the most energy out of the fruit category.

Comment

good info thanks
                          US Army 13M

Comment

im in average shape not the best not the worst. Im more of a muscular guy than cardio wise. Last AF PFT i took i maxed out on sit ups in one minute. I did a mini power test the other night nd my buddy whose a PO corrected while i was doing sit ups and the hands behind my head and i thought it was ALOT harder i barely hit my 37 in the minute.
                            you can try to slide your hands up near the top part of your head (rather than at the base of the neck) and just touch your finger tips on the test if they let you - it's easier that way - for the academy though you better be prepared to do them to standard

Comment

Call me crazy but I always found that having your hands behind your head is easier than on your chest. Whenever you get tired from doing situps the hands act almost as a support system....well atleast for me they do.
                              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8079 users online. 233 members and 7846 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X