300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedford Park PD

Does anybody have insight into Bedford Park's PD? Pros/Cons any direct experience?

thank you

According to their ad on the blueline they have a pop of 1,000 and a force of 40. Typo?

Comment

Just 2 blocks south from my house (border of Chicago and BPark). Industrial with some commerce by Ford City Mall. Borders Chicago, Burbank, Summit, parts of Bridgeview.

I would think it haves its good moments. Thats all i could think of.

Comment

i grew up not to far from bedford. Its low income to low middle class with lots of industrial and is a pretty big town by not so pretty towns. I would be willing to be you would see alot of action. Im applying since its 7 min from my house!
        Please let me know, Thank you.
        US Army 13M

Comment

i grew up not to far from bedford. Its low income to low middle class with lots of industrial and is a pretty big town by not so pretty towns. I would be willing to be you would see alot of action. Im applying since its 7 min from my house!
          Please let me know, Thank you.
          US Army 13M

Comment

I was a Bedford Park Officer for 8 years until leaving to my current PD a few years ago. I'll give a brief "mixed bag" review. Here's the good: First and formost, the guys in Patrol are great, and yes there are 40 Officers so it's not extremely small. Very friendly, good Officers. I still talk to some buddies and it would appear that some of the equipment is starting to get better. Rumors of Chargers and finally having up to date MDT's, but there is nothing "cutting edge". They have Tasers, a handful of Rifles, etc. There can be some active stuff, remember that the town borders Chicago along 65th St and Cicero Ave. Yes, the population in the "Village" is about 600, but the daytme population with all the Hotels and Businesses and Traffic I would have to say should put it into the 15-20,000 range. I did deal will alot of Englewood scum and remember the housing projects are just down Cicero by Midway airport. I also got to "play" alot in Summit and the neighboring towns. Summit, Bedford, Burbank, etc. might only have 5 cars on a piece, so when something big goes down, all have to help. I was on some very fun, crazy, dangerous calls in my time, but by and large it will be Retail Thefts, Car Burglaries, Burg Alarms and running traffic Also, the pay is good and they are now on 12's. The town itself is bigger than what most people think. It goes west of Archer to almost I-55, but that area is hard to get to. East border is splitting Cicero Ave down the middle between BP and Chicago. North border is 65th Street and South border is roughly an imaginary line running about 7700 S. bordering Burbank. It's about 6 square miles.

Now the bad: You really weren't allowed to go hard after the badguy's. You really weren't allowed to dig deep into dope stuff or go real hard into doing "deeper" Police work. There is a new Police Chief who was the Captain. If this will change things, I don't know, but I did find it frustrating to want to work a case further and not be allowed too. Here is the WORST thing of all, that little Village area of 600 residents RUNS THE WHOLE TOWN. They couldn't care less what happens east of Harlem Ave. as long as their Kingdom is protected. There is a Beat that is ONLY for the residential, so ONE squad for TWELVE hours will be tasked with patrolling a 4 square block neighborhood for the WHOLE shift. NO I am NOT kidding! This is one of the reasons I left. You are strongly discouraged from going into the Station or onto Archer. They want you IN THAT VILLAGE. The residents EXPECT to see you passed their house every 15 minutes and this is NO JOKE. Maybe this has changed with the new leadership but I highly doubt it. So if ou want exciting Police work for the that day, you will NOT get it when you have that Beat, and time will go slooooooow. Another downside is the Station basically stinks. It's clean, etc., but has no real modern technology and has been outgrown, very no frills. Also, there really are no spots to advance to. There is no Tac, Traffic, etc. There are 2 Detectives, and then you have your Sgt's on up. That is it, no other jobs to do. Like for me, I started the first and only K-9 Unit in the history of the Village. It was run successful and then the program was axed after several years (and I'm sure never to return). THAT is the main reason I left. The bad thing is the "old timers" don't want to do hardnosed Police work because their morale is basically shot and they are ready to retire and the young guys are basically told to "not dig too deep".

So here it is in a nutshell, pay is good, getting better gear. There can be some exciting calls, but nothing that crazy, you will have slow nights for sure! The radio band is a mess, on one radio band is BP, Summit, Justice, Burbank, Bridgeview, Willow Springs, Hickory Hills and Hodgkins!!!! There are also SIX separate Dispatches so the whole Band is just a mess. It's a small Dept., not much room for movement and again not really allowed to really run and gun. And remember most of all, protect the KINGDOM so the 600 people can sleep well at night, but never mind the guns and dope being trafficked down Cicero...lol. So I won't say if my opinion is good or bad, I had my strong reasons why I left and I am much happier I did. The larger/busier/better equipped Department I'm on now is much better suited to me and I am much much happier and have NO regrets leaving. Again, BP isn't good/bad, I just outgrew it, your results might vary.
            Last edited by dogcop; 11-26-2008, 06:24 AM.
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

Is there a residency requirement?

Comment

Thanks dogcop.

Comment

Originally posted by Art25 View Post
                  Is there a residency requirement?
                  highly doubt it.....if there is it's probably something like you must live within 20 miles of the town.

Comment

No residency or radius, you can live where you want. Also, all uniforms and equipment is issued, they are on the Quartermaster System. So there is no "uniform check". It has it's pros/cons, I personally like getting my $900 uniform check at my new place, but Quartermaster System isn't all bad either. Also Glock 22's are issued and nylon gear. The worst thing they have to change is the uniform shirts...lol. They are baby blue-ish, and NOT CPD blue, they are pretty ugly.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                      No residency or radius, you can live where you want. Also, all uniforms and equipment is issued, they are on the Quartermaster System. So there is no "uniform check". It has it's pros/cons, I personally like getting my $900 uniform check at my new place, but Quartermaster System isn't all bad either. Also Glock 22's are issued and nylon gear. The worst thing they have to change is the uniform shirts...lol. They are baby blue-ish, and NOT CPD blue, they are pretty ugly.
                      I def will NOT be applying there then. If I am going to enforce the Law, I will enforce the Law well-dressed.

Comment

So they issue your gear? What about personally owned gear? Personally owned firearms, duty belt, and other stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                          Thanks for the info, dogcop! Does any one know if they are actually hiring or if they are just doing a list? Oh and does anyone know what written test they use?

Comment

You can do some of your own gear such as flashlights, change out your mag holders, etc. But NO to personally owned weapons other than backup gun. No to different duty gun, shotgun or rifle. When I was there you could check out a shotgun (Mossberg) and some AR's are getting into guy's hands. They should be hiring a few. Retirements are coming up. No clue what written is used.
                            Last edited by dogcop; 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM.
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

Thanks for the information dogcop.

Any insight on the town of Justice?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7969 users online. 292 members and 7677 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X