Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question. I have recently moved to IL from NY. I understand it is essential to wear a suit and tie during the application process. Does the same apply during the Orientation and Written?

Comment

Originally posted by mshean1 View Post
      Quick question. I have recently moved to IL from NY. I understand it is essential to wear a suit and tie during the application process. Does the same apply during the Orientation and Written?
      Go casual to the orientation and written (jeans, polo, etc.) unless they specifically say the P.O.W.E.R. test is on that same day; if so then you can wear comfortable work out wear.

Comment

Originally posted by mshean1 View Post
        Some departments put on the apps that "professional attire" is required for the orientation, so make sure you read everything. I usually wear a shirt and tie but not a suit if it states that.

Comment

Originally posted by rolt View Post
          All departments need more cops like you.
          Well thank you much for that. That has basically the way I have felt from day one reference tickets. Now it is all a choice and I would not look down on a cop who enjoys ticket writing as long as the tickets are legit. It's funny, I have backed up some of our new guy's and they are still afraid about having high "numbers" even though my PD doesn't pressure it, but I understand where they are coming from. One guy was in a bit of a slump, he pulls a stop and I back him. By the time he is getting there, he is writing a book. I ask out of curiosity what the tickets were. It was for no rear plate light, "obstructed" view cause there was an air freshener from the rear view mirror and failure to signal a turn. This was at like 2am and it was on a side street with no other traffic. I said, "wow, this guy must have been a real jerk", him, "No, not really, but I've been in a slump". This guy had no crim history and was nice. You could tell he was just a working guy, turns out he works in the trades. I said to my co-worker, "You realize with the tickets it is a must appear, so he's going to have to take a day off work, and with mandatory court costs and the fine, this is gonna probably cost this guy $400". To which my co-worker said "Oh", and you could tell it really sunk in for him, he wasn't just writing tickets, he was potentially affecting someones life and financial well being. Now if these were "real" violations, then write the guy up, but these were as minor of violations as you can get. Sure, pull the guy over, make sure not drunk, no warrants, no attitude, but if all good, write a warning and get on with it. Good news is I really think my co-worker got it.
          www.saveavet.org

Comment

My son has his learner's permit and twice now while driving at night with me, he forgot to put on the headlights. I asked him "Do you know how many guys are in the penitentiary because they forgot to put their headlights on?" Had to explain that one to him..

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
              I'm sorry, but 40 tickets a month is a ton if the the Department has any kind of call volume AND if you don't savor ticketing the average working man/woman. I think there was one month in my 10 years that I hit 40 in a month. In my OPINION traffic tickets are lame unless you really are looking for the badguys. I'm not going to give some working stiff a $75 fine cause he did a Hollywood stop on a stop sign unless he really deserves it, def not in these economic times. I feel traffic is a means to truly find the bad guy, dope, guns or warrants, not to just generate revenue and have "look at me" numbers. So if Northlake is at all busy, it is obscene to say 40 tickets in a month, as if writing tickets makes someone a good cop. So let's see, I could either hunt, pull 10 cars over, write no tickets cause 9 out of the 10 have a pretty good record and are good people. the 10th car I pull over, I write my one PC ticket, get the driver on a warrant, then pull out dope or a gun. OR I can sit on a stop sign, pull 10 out of 10 people over that run it and write all 10 Tickets. So Officer A has ONE ticket but got a warrant and a gun. Officer B got TEN tickets but nothing else. CLEARLY Officer B is the better Officer! On average I write 10 to 15 tickets a month, and those are usually as a result of an arrest. But that is just my style and my opinion.

What I find funny is call volume has nothing to do with your example. Both officers (A and B) are pullng 10 people over which negates call volume as being an issue. Officer A just happened not to write 9 out of those 10 and Officer B did.

Comment

Where did you see the fee was fifthy, I tested in their last test and did not pass the oral. I see no mention on blue line for and app fee.

Originally posted by ende333 View Post
                sorry but i think northlake is just trying to make some cash as their fee is 50 dollars to fill out an application, also they will try to find any reason to then void the app after getting the fifty bucks, i filled an app out after getting out of the army, put my cell number on there with my address, a week later had to change my number, got a letter a few weeks later telling me the app was void because the number on app was not working, total bs if u ask me

Comment

Originally posted by Elginguy View Post
                  Where did you see the fee was fifthy, I tested in their last test and did not pass the oral. I see no mention on blue line for and app fee.
                  I checked out blueline and saw that the fee is 20, now but im pretty sure i paid 50 in 06, Funny story thou, i spent 18 months in Iraq with the Army, and when i came back i spent the weekend at a hotel over there with my girlfriend, on Sunday when we checked out ( we never left the room that weekend ) I had a ton of tickets on my car from the whole weekend seems NPD went every day there and gave me the same 5 tickets three days in a row! Now mind u my plates were expired and such but as i said i was gone for 18 months and carried my orders with me in case there were any problems. So a month passes and i have my hearing at the northlake city hall, the officers tells the judge how they went there and gave me tickets and how they were thinking of towing my car!, so its finally my turn i tell the judge that the officers were right about my car! tell him why and give my dd214 and de-mob orders. The judge makes everyone stand up reads out loud my awards section on my dd214 ( ph; arcomm with valor; etc ) and throws out my tickets and tells everyone to appauld me! It was a funny site to see!

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                    What I find funny is call volume has nothing to do with your example. Both officers (A and B) are pullng 10 people over which negates call volume as being an issue. Officer A just happened not to write 9 out of those 10 and Officer B did.
                    This example has nothing to do with call volume, but quantity vs. quality. Ofc A did quality work, Ofc B did quantity. In your profile, you state you are a Part time Officer. Is that still the case? So maybe your "mission" when you are on the street is to write 20 tickets in the 4 hours you are on the street, I don't know, I don't know how many hours a week you work and if you are solo or if they pair you with a full timer. But in my experience of doing this for a decade, written thousands of tickets and driven hundreds of thousands of miles on this job, in my OPINION, 40 tickets a month is a lot to give for QUALITY stops and just ticketing people because you can is lame. I don't know, maybe some guys get their rocks off with high ticket numbers and feel like you are making a difference in the world. Just because you can ticket someone doesn't always mean you should, but hey, whatever. In this day and age of bad economic times and the Police not really being highly regarded by alot of society (even 'good' society), if you think it is in best interest of the Police to give everyone tickets, even the average hard working guy due to a few equipment violations or minor mover, then so be it.
                    Last edited by dogcop; 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

This example has nothing to do with call volume, but quantity vs. quality. Ofc A did quality work, Ofc B did quantity. In your profile, you state you are a Part time Officer. Is that still the case? So maybe your "mission" when you are on the street is to write 20 tickets in the 4 hours you are on the street, I don't know, I don't know how many hours a week you work and if you are solo or if they pair you with a full timer. But in my experience of doing this for a decade, written thousands of tickets and driven hundreds of thousands of miles on this job, in my OPINION, 40 tickets a month is a lot to give for QUALITY stops and just ticketing people because you can is lame. I don't know, maybe some guys get their rocks off with high ticket numbers and feel like you are making a difference in the world. Just because you can ticket someone doesn't always mean you should, but hey, whatever. In this day and age of bad economic times and the Police not really being highly regarded by alot of society (even 'good' society), if you think it is in best interest of the Police to give everyone tickets, even the average hard working guy due to a few equipment violations or minor mover, then so be it.
                      Still part-time...work the full 8 hour shift solo....anything else you'd like to know that has nothing to do with the topic at hand? Should I post my resume for you to review? I love how we went from discussing a dept. that asks for 40 tickets a month to you making a smart-*** comment about me writing 20 in a 4 hr shift.

The "thousands" of tickets you've written seems to contradict with the roughly 1800 I come up with when I take your statement of "I average 10 to 15 tickets a month" multiplied by the decade you've been doing this.

Your opinion is your opinion....no need to capitalize it. You're certainly entitled to yours as I am to mine.

You've restated your position and I will restate mine: 40 tickets a month is NOT A TON. That's two tickets a shift!!!!!????? I know there isn't any way to quanitify the term "ton" but 2 tickets a shift? If I ticketed everyone I could just because I could I'd end up with a HELL of a lot more than 40/month...and that is just working part-time.

Are you at all familiar with the town of Northlake? They've got North Ave. and Lake street that run through that town. Have you seen the amount of traffic that goes through there during the day (or night for that matter)? Believe me....2 tickets could be done in 15 minutes.

There is a town not too far from Northlake that asks their officers to write 10 a shift. Yes, you read that correctly....T E N tickets (not state...compliance).

Comment

would that by any chance be the village of Stone Park. I used to live in Bellwood and I dont remember a time I drove down Manheim road and did not see someone getting a ticket. I knew to drive 5 miles under the speed limit in that town!

Comment

Topped Out...not really interested in going back and forth with you. I never stated anything I said wasn't just my opinion. No, I'm not stating a "resume", I was stating my experience. And yes, there is a big difference between experience that a full timer and a part timer sees, but that really doesn't matter to this discussion anyway. Basically I'm not going to get into a ****ing match with you with an off topic discussion anyway.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

Topped Out...not really interested in going back and forth with you. I never stated anything I said wasn't just my opinion. No, I'm not stating a "resume", I was stating my experience. And yes, there is a big difference between experience that a full timer and a part timer sees, but that really doesn't matter to this discussion anyway. Basically I'm not going to get into a ****ing match with you with an off topic discussion anyway.
                            Fair enough bro. We've both got our opinions so let's just leave it at that.

Stay safe out there.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                              There is a town not too far from Northlake that asks their officers to write 10 a shift. Yes, you read that correctly....T E N tickets (not state...compliance).
                              10 tickets a shift means that they don't get too many calls for service.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
                                10 tickets a shift means that they don't get too many calls for service.
                                Correct...the town I'm referring to (not Northlake) does not get many calls for service far as I know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8518 users online. 170 members and 8348 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X