300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy but true story

Hey, I was talking to a girl that my wife works with, and a huge problem that she has been dealing with came up. She used to live in Pontiac, IL and one night she was at her house drinking, at the time I believe she was 18, she is now 19. The police came and wrote her for underage consumption, under the Liquor Control Act of 1934 section 6-20. She refused to take the PBT, and they took her to jail, where she then submitted to the test. I think she blew a 0.01 and they told her she was going to be written for zero tolerance. She was told by the officer in the car on the way to the station that he was gonna make sure that her license gets suspended. She went to court and paid a fine and she thought that was that. She was pulled over about a month later by the same officer, and he told her that her license was suspended and he wrote her for that. She went to the dmv and got a license abstract and it said that her license was clear and valid. So she kept driving. She got pulled over again, and the officer wrote her again for driving while suspended. This time, he wrote a different DL# down on the ticket. She again went and got an abstract 3 days later and it said that her license was clear and valid again, so she gave them the license number that was on her ticket and they said [I]that[I] license is suspended. She asked them whose license that is, and they said it is hers and that there are 2 DL#s on file for her. The mysterious DL# did not have her address or anything on file, just her name and that license number. Later on, her actual license came up suspended. Now she will not be able to drive until january 2010, and she has a kid to take care of and it has been really hard for her, and quite frankly I feel bad for her, she is a very nice girl and I don't think she has been treated fairly. I told her that i would look into it and see what i can dig up. The whole situation sounds really screwed up to me and I am just a rookie so i figured i would see if anyone here might have some sort of insight. I have yet to find out whether her parents were there when she was originally arrested for drinking, because if that is the case, this whole thing is pretty invalid so i will ask her, I will also find out why the police were there to begin with. She did say that after all of this happened she kept getting visits from the police about stupid stuff like her dog barking and got a L/O ticket for it one of the times, but the "complainant" did not show up in court. They also wrote her for her dog running loose and said that they found it and had to bring it back to her yard, and on the ticket the dog's name was written and it was her old dog's name who has been dead for over a year. She said they were bothering her for everything you can imagine to the point that she moved back to joliet to get away from the police down there. It all just seems like completely unnecessary crap.

Let me suggest that you are being sucked in by someone who has only told you part of the story.

First, the police do not randomly go door to door, asking to if there are any minors drinking inside and arresting those that voluntarily admit their violations. Something had to be going on at the house serious enough to warrant a police presence. Second, the section you cited says that consumption by someone under 21 in the privacy of their own home is not a violation. So again, I think your friend has left a lot out of the story.

Next, when you go to court, the judge tells you your penalty - fine, license suspension, etc. This is usually followed up by a written notice from the Department of Motor Vehicles, advising you of your license suspension. Cops don't get to make up their own, secret new driver's license numbers for suspects out of the blue. She knew, or reasonably should have known her license was suspended.

As for the dead dog ticket and "stupid stuff" visits, would an entire department conspire to needlessly harass a lone teenager just because she got arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol and drove on a suspended license? They don't need to conspire. Her normal conduct already ensures their continued employment. They are no doubt grateful to her.

You are being hustled here. The simple fact is that there is absolutely nothing you can do to be of assistance to this woman without getting yourself in trouble. Tell her to consult an attorney to unravel all of these mysteries.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Sounds like she is a bad apple stay away.

The police are always right. They would never purposely mess with someone.

Comment

First of all, you can't get a "Zero Tolerance" suspension unless you are driving. Now if you're under 21 and get arrested/cited for unlawful consumption by a minor, then yes your license can be suspended. As far as the mysterious DL number, yes this can happen. A person's DL number is derived by their full name, sex, and date of birth. Ergo, if some clerk somewhere accidently typed a person's name wrong (even by one letter or without a middle initial), the state will then create a license for that name and suspend it (example: John Smith instead of John A. Smith). So if the officer sees her driving and soundexs her name and that "phantom" DL number shows up and that's the one he runs through LEADS, it's gonna pop up suspended. I've seen it several times. And like the other posters have said, you're only getting part of the story. When people drink and then get arrested, sometimes they're not the most pleasant people to be around. This might have caused the arresting officer to hold a grudge. Is this right/professional? No, but don't eliminate this possibility.

Comment

Second that - Zero Tolerance is only if you are caught behind the wheel.

There's a new administrative policy for SOS that went into effect this year that says if they receive a report from the local liquor commissioner of a report of guilty conviction for any alcohol related offence by a minor, even a local ordinance violation, they will suspend the offenders driver's license for three months. That's probably how it got suspended.

As far as the problem with the DL, sometimes there are mistakes such as spelling mistakes or DOB mistakes which cause the SOS database to not recognize the offender and when the conviction is data entered, the system thinks it a new person and creates a new, similar file number. I had this happen when a revoked employee I caught on a traffic stop gave me his boss' information, but he gave the wrong middle initial, so it created a new file number like it was a new person, and a few months later the boss got a pending suspension letter in the mail. Man was that a suprise!

Thats probably what happened, a clerical error on the part of the officer or the clerk who entered the cit as cubsfan stated.

Now she's in big trouble, because she's been caught driving while suspended, not once, but twice. The officer told her in the beginning her license was going to be suspended, thats good enough notice for me. She may though get a break from the judge since the suspension went on the duplicate file and nor her original file and she most likely did not receive the notice drivers get in the mail from SOS when theres a pending suspension warning them not to drive after a certain date.
          Last edited by rgw1977; 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM.
          What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Ditto what everyone else is saying about the duplicate file. Chances are good that she never gave a middle initial that date and that's what her duplicate file is. Run an abstract (a police one) on her actual file and see if it has the original issue date of the DL and compare it to the duplicate. That will give you the answer.

Also, the courts have ruled in other cases the person does not have to receive written notification that their license is being suspended.

Comment

Edit button isn't working.

Don't run her info because you know her personally. But if you come across a legitimate similar situation in your powers as an officer, heed the above advice.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Let me suggest that you are being sucked in by someone who has only told you part of the story.
                Sucked in?? I only said it was confusing.

First, the police do not randomly go door to door, asking to if there are any minors drinking inside and arresting those that voluntarily admit their violations.
                I did not say they were there for no reason!!! I said I do not know why they were there!

Second, the section you cited says that consumption by someone under 21 in the privacy of their own home is not a violation.
                In the privacy of their own home with permission and under supervision of the parents!

Cops don't get to make up their own, secret new driver's license numbers for suspects out of the blue.
                I KNOW THIS, I was simply confused as to where the new license number came from and the officers who posted after you POLITELY explained that to me!!!

As for the dead dog ticket and "stupid stuff" visits, would an entire department conspire to needlessly harass a lone teenager just because she got arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol and drove on a suspended license?
                Did I mention any type of conspiracy??

You are being hustled here. The simple fact is that there is absolutely nothing you can do to be of assistance to this woman without getting yourself in trouble. Tell her to consult an attorney to unravel all of these mysteries.
                I am not being HUSTLED! I heard of what she was going through and it simply did not fully make sense to me (being a rookie), and part of what did not make sense had NOTHING to do with getting the full story or not!! Such as the second license number. I said nothing about going on some sort of mission, or doing anything that would get me in trouble, I simply told her that I would try to get a few answers to help her clear this up! That is why I posted on here, and others have actually answered my questions WITHOUT being a-holes about it. I did say that i am a rookie, what I did not say is that I am an IDIOT. I do not appreciate being responded to as if i were a moron! If that was not your intention, which is what it seemed to be when I read your post, then I apologize for misinterpreting your response!

Comment

Everyone else, thank you

Comment

Why does she keep being pulled over?

And all of those problems at her home? Sounds like she is trash and you're being hoodwinked.

Reminds me of the POS 23 year old that was just "on the new" in RCDC yesterday because he bought cigarettes for an inmate.

Again, why are you even caring about trying to help her? You like her? Find better company.

Comment

Originally posted by rolt View Post
                      Why does she keep being pulled over?

And all of those problems at her home? Sounds like she is trash and you're being hoodwinked.

Reminds me of the POS 23 year old that was just "on the new" in RCDC yesterday because he bought cigarettes for an inmate.

Again, why are you even caring about trying to help her? You like her? Find better company.
                      I agree with rolt she must be causing scenes in the home and neighborhood for the neighborhoods to call the police. The officers on patrol must see lots of undesirable activity to investigate her 99.9 % the officers are just trying to keep the area from going bad. A lot of people from high crime neighborhoods will move into quite neighborhoods and think that its the norm to do things that were normal in the hoodz as they call them or she just might be watching to much Maury. I sure dont want one of these out of control teens next door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUgDMgp1ziw

Comment

Misc

Things;

1. You state you are a rookie, therefore you may be under some type of probationary period with your new job. If you want to keep said job, make sure anything that you contemplate doing in assisting this girl in not AGAINST some regulation that you may or may not have studied before today.

2. Make especially clear what type of search YOU may do in the various record search systems available to LE and the policy WITHIN your Department.

3. Rookies usually have a teacher/coach assigned to make sure you don't foul up, check with him/her to make sure you aren't and what you want to do won't put you in the meat grinder towards suspension/fire with cause. You may very likely not be under the same protective umbrella that tenured Officers have in your Department.

4. ***/U/ME that some parts of the story are phony, not told properly, parts left out, events passed over, sequence of events turned around. People lie.....GASP.....ESPECIALLY to LE....and you should be prepared for some parts of the story you retold to be "inaccurate".

5. Have her find an Attorney that specializes in DWI/Alcohol related offenses, those kind know more about EVERYTHING than a rookie and most of the time are not expensive to hire.

Comment

Originally posted by BIPDTRK View Post
                          Everyone else, thank you
                          You said you're a Rookie, that's why you care about a situation like this.

Give yourself some time on the job and you too will become an a-hole. Your response to a similar situation years from now would have you saying something like this:

"So what", "Who cares", "I have better things to do than listen to this BS story", "She's full of crap"

I'm sure that my fellow brothers in blue could come up with some more quotes.
                          For some reason whenever I watch 'COPS' I want to move to Texas.

Comment

"Oh really mother ****er".
                            Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

Comment

Sounds like there is something you are not being told

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5497 users online. 382 members and 5115 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X