Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June '06, almost everyone think I'm......................

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June '06, almost everyone think I'm......................

Almost everyone (including family) think I'm crazy for waiting so long for this job. Especially, since I got promoted to management on my current job four months ago. My new job pays $70k +, but I'm behind a desk/computer most of the time now. The craziest thing to me is my brain is telling me this a great opportunity for me and my family [the new job]. But, my heart says otherwise. I feel excited about becoming a LEO. My son recently was attacked on his way home from school. And this incident really refueled my desire to protect those that are preyed on and can't protect themself. I must be crazy to even consider this given the salary difference.

Hang in there and follow your heart. You won't regret it!

Money isn't everything. I also took a pay cut when I came on this job, will take another one if hired by my dream department and will work longer toward retirement if I leave my current department. All that said, I'm going to follow my heart.

The waiting for CPD is crazy but if it's really what you want it will be well worth it. Look on the bright side, you're gainfully employed while waiting for CPD. Some people aren't. Some people are working a whole lot harder for a whole lot less. Or worse, unemployed.

I wouldn't trade a career in L.E. for anything. It really is the best job on earth!

Comment

I was in a similar situation as u, but here is the the way u got to look at it...as long as u keep your nose clean and get thru probation, your have outstanding job security (don't worry about the layoff threats, it won't happen). After a year on CPD you'll be making 55K and change plus you get 1800 a year in clothing and 2100 plus a year in duty availabilty, plus OT pay options for court and holiday...after probabtion (18 months) u go up to 58K plus change and u can work side jobs if you desire after probabtion...if your a worker and go to court alot, lots of CPD make 80K a year before there 5 yrs....plus we are without a contarct, once it gets settled, you can bet on pay raises all around.
      Is sitting behind a desk on a computer something u want to do day in and day out for 30 yrs? If so, I'm in no positon to tell u not to....but I did the switch from that work for many yrs to the CPD, one of the most refreshing things about the switch is when I'm off work, or on vacation, I don't get those annoying phone calls saying "Sorry to bother you on your day off, but we are looking for that file, where did you put it?"

Comment

That's one of the things that I was telling the wife. OT would be great, because where I am now if I work 8 or 12 hrs it does not matter. I'm salary now, NO overtime.

Comment

By the time they call us June 06'ers in its gonna be insane to look at all their faces at work when I walk away from my job.

Comment

I was in the same place as you, I took about a 50% pay cut to get into LE. I start the academy on Monday, and I can say after experiencing LE in the Air Force, I'd probably do it for free! Remember this- a man can make a billion dollars in his lifetime, but most people don't remember someone for how much cash they made, they're remembered for what they did with their life. Don't give up, it'll be worth it!

Comment

You say you start the academy on Monday. May I ask when did you take the original test?

Comment

Good for you, man. Go with your heart.I could be a cop next day in a country where I came from(Poland-my family there is in police from generations), but CPD is my dream and I will get there.Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by St. Leroy View Post
                  You say you start the academy on Monday. May I ask when did you take the original test?
                  I think it was about a year ago, all these tests I've taken tend to run together

Luckily the dept I tested for was pretty small, so the the process was pretty expedited once they got to me on the list.

Comment

So you are not going to the CPD academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4132 users online. 180 members and 3952 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X