300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internship

I am new to the forum and a criminal justice major at Illinois State. I am looking to do an internship in the southwestern suburbs of Chicago this spring. I was curious to see if anyone on this forum has done an internship and see what type of LE work I should expect.

I did a very short internship (only three days) with the Chicago Police Department. They had me at the the headquarters building on Michigan, which is just like any other giant office building, except everyone has guns, and the name plate on everyone's desk or cubicle has "P.O." in front of their name. I worked with the division (I can't remember the exact name, I think it was Neighborhood Activities or Special Activities or something like that) that is in charge of giving officers awards for heroism, and working with the families of fallen officers. There wasn't a whole lot for me to do, just stuff like making copies and putting the award certificates in alphabetical order by district, but the best part of the internship (which greatly increased my desire to want to be a police officer) was that I actually was able to attend the monthly awards ceremony (which I also helped with by putting the chairs in rows, and cleaned up after). Before each officer received his/her award, a short story was read about what he/she had done, why he/she was receiving the award. Some of the stories were really moving, and it was great to be sitting next to the friends and family of the officers who were so proud of them. Made me think, 'I hope that can be me some day'. I think I may have also shook Phil Cline's hand, but I don't remember.

Anyways, now that I'm done rambling and reminiscing, I dunno what you can expect from your internship, but it will probably be like any other internship: mostly doing mindless tasks like making copies and putting things in order, but a great learning experience nonetheless.

P.S. I forgot to mention also that everyone there was nothing but nice to me, and even gave me a CPD shirt when I left. They even told me a few war stories
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

If I were you, being young (I’m assuming you are), like myself, I would go to a department where there is action. What area are you exactly talking about? How far southwest of Chicago are you looking at? From my experience with my internship, I learned a lot with what I saw. The more you see for yourself, the better you can see what the job in fact consists of and with that, you'll really know if this is what you desire to do. The PD I accomplished my internship at was a fairly medium sized dept., but active. I saw a lot and learned more. On an internship, you don't want to look bored and give an impression that you don't want to be there. Ask questions! Just looking out for you…. Good Luck with your internship!
      You never know, it may lead to a job within the dept. (if that's what you are looking for right now) It did for me.

ChiCity- What was the reason behind a 3-day internship? Aren't they usually as long as a semester in college or over the summer?
      Last edited by JM17; 09-18-2008, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I know couple of Internship that you could do but they are in the city.. Mainly at 26th& california

message me if you are interested...

Comment

Ya, the reason it was so short is because it was only over spring break. My school had this thing called "externship" program (the meaning of that word I dunno, I guess it means "really short internship"). I went to the office and told them I was going back home to Chicago for spring break and that my interested field was law enforcement, and that 3-day gig is what they gave me. I wish it could've been for the whole week, but I took what I could get, and it was still a great experience, albeit short.

Fun fact: The guys on the top floor on the west side of the building can see U.S. Cellular field from their offices and use binoculars to try to watch the game.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

I did a full internship for CPD at 35th & Michigan. It lasted an entire semester. The Sergeant who was my supervisor had me figure out which beat in each district had the highest amount of shootings for the month and put together a spread sheet so each of his officers who was in charge of gang intel for the area that district was in could go to that beat meeting and talk to the people about it.

So I spent a good amount of time looking on the CPD intranet figuring this stuff out and putting it together then when the Sergeant handed out my spreadsheets and told them they had to go to these beat meetings there was a lot of grumbling and complaining. "Who put this thing together? Oh..." (dirty looks) I wanted to be like "Hey, it wasn't my idea!"

Other than that I filed a bunch of papers from gang shootings and did some ride-a-longs. I treated it like a job interview but it wasn't because even though the commander loved me, they can't help you get on CPD any faster. (Obviously, because this was over two years ago). So it was pretty useless except for satisfying my college requirement and doing some fun ride-a-longs.

Comment

Originally posted by GMCKID View Post
              I know couple of Internship that you could do but they are in the city.. Mainly at 26th& california

message me if you are interested...
              I PM'd you

Thanks guys for the input

Comment

My brother interned at OPS...when it was called that. He loved it, which is odd since I doubt real police officers have a positive feeling towards OPS/whatever its new name is. But he's done with the CPD process...didn't pass the psych.

Comment

question for those who did an internship... I am just curious, was it paid or unpaid?

Comment

Originally posted by rafalhc View Post
                    question for those who did an internship... I am just curious, was it paid or unpaid?
                    Unpaid. It's more for the experience and knowing what you are getting into rather than getting paid...

Comment

Internships

Post Deleted By Author
                      Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Post Deleted By Author
                        Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Go for it!

Not everything will be fun (you have to earn your keep too), but you will learn so much and have a better idea of if this is something you really want to do every day.
                          The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

Comment

Originally posted by LEJAmav View Post
                            Will you be doing a full-time or part-time internship (how many hours)?
                            I would prefer a part-time. I called dupage county sheriff's office - from what I was told, they have a great internship program. The only problem is that it's 14 weeks - unpaid 40 hours a week M-F and I can't afford not to work for 3 months.
                            Addison is a neighbor city so I will call them.

LEJAmav - can you tell me something more about that security dep.?

Comment

pm me

Post Deleted By Author
                              Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:31 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4356 users online. 219 members and 4137 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X