300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State Patrol

I would appreciate some info on the Illinois State Patrol.

Amount of people applying for a particular class on average.

Specifically, when would the next class start if known.

What is the top pay currently under the contract, or a salary guide.

Normal number recruits for academy classes and approx percentage of drop outs.

Thanks

I would appreciate some info on the Illinois State Patrol.
    It's the Illinois State Police, not Patrol.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/

Amount of people applying for a particular class on average.
    6000 to 10,000 per year whether there's a class scheduled or not.

Specifically, when would the next class start if known.
    Currently scheduled to start in May 2009. Testing begins in November. Need to have the application in October.
    http://www.illinoistrooper.com/

What is the top pay currently under the contract, or a salary guide.
    I don't know what the current contract is as it was just negotiated. The contract that ended July 1, 2008 a 1 yr Troop was at just under $50,000 and a 25 yr Troop topping out at about $95,000. That's base salary and does not include any overtime or things like uniform cleaning allowance.
    There's about a 7% increase between ranks. Merit ranks are Trooper, Sergeant, Master Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain.

Normal number recruits for academy classes and approx percentage of drop outs.
    Classes normally run about 50 to start. The curent class started with 105. As of last week, which they're not quite 1/2 way thru, they were down to 91.
    15%-20% normal attrition rate.
    183 FBINA

Comment

ILL Capt INI

Sorry for the gaffe;

Thanks for the quality information.

Comment

No problem. Glad to help.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called sons of God."
          Last edited by OCSO418; 07-23-2009, 02:47 AM. Reason: entered in error
          Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called sons of God."

Comment

Does ISP get take home cars
            Every sworn has take home car. We do 'driveway to driveway' time. You go on the air in your driveway and that's when your shift starts. You go off the air end of shift in your driveway. No driving to HQ to check in and no driving to a certain location on your own time.

and do they get to use them for personal use?
            Can't answer this accurately as I've been retired 2.5 yrs. Here's what it was when I retired. For Troops and Sgts they cannot use the squads off duty. I doubt that has changed. For command officers off duty use is authorized anywhere in the state. I don't know if that has changed.

What weapon's does ISP carry; duty weapon?
            Glock 22 is issued. Senior command and some investigations people can elect to get a Glock 23.

rifle?
            AR issued to everyone. I don't know what they have for the current issue. Some were government surplus and some Bushmasters. I know some in the current cadet class got older government surplus.
            Also, 870s are issued to everyone.

taser?
            As of a year ago no tasers had been approved. We did a 6 month test with selected persons carrying tasers. After the 6 months they were all pulled back in. When I retired they had not made a decision on issuing tasers. I haven't checked on the current issue since I retired.

Does ISP allow pursuits?
            Pursuits are authorized but they are 'limited'. Pursuits have to meet certain criteria, ie, danger to the public if person not immediately apprehended, nature of crime, etc. No pursuits for something like a burned out headlight if that's all that's known.

Patrol briefing?
            Done several ways. Because of the area involved in the various districts coming to HQ for patrol briefings is not feasible. For example, my last district covered 7 counties and 4000 sq mi. To put that in perspective the entire state of Connecticut is a bit over 4800 sq mi. Or that's larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined. I had people living 1.5 hrs away from HQ. No way would it be practical to have everyone come into HQ at the beginning of every shift. So shift briefings are handled a couple of different ways. All cars have computers. Any messages/updates are sent to the Troop's in-car computer. When he comes on the air his computer has all the updates and latest news. We also do bulletins, flyers, etc.

Don't know what other info you might be interested in. Just ask and I'll answer what I can.
            183 FBINA

Comment

More Q's

I noted that the highest % of new grads from the last class went to Chicago for their initial assignment.

1. How frequent do transfers happen. Ability to transfer.
              2. Is the first assignment semi-permanent.
              3. Chicago assignments are the local Interstates ?
              4. Typical work schedule/shifts/time.
              5. Overtime money or time give backs, availability of OT.
              6. Transfer to Champaign-Urbana area is that a "hot" area for Troops
              wanting to move into/transfer there.
              7. Duty assignments are they divided by highway/interstate and rural
              policing or you handle a specific area ?

Getting good information, thanks in advance Capt.

Comment

Wow Capt,

Looks like you have some serious typing to do on this thread. All your information is great and very appreciated.. Thanks

Comment

1. How frequent do transfers happen. Ability to transfer.
                  Where a person goes from the academy depends on which districts have the greatest needs and that person's class standing. Highest ranking new Troop gets to pick first, bottom Troop in the class gets whatever is left.
                  Current Troops get to transfer to open districts then new Troops fill in the vacancies that remain or backfill for the Troops who transferred. Every district is always short people but the Director and his staff decides which districts have the greatest needs.
                  By policy a new Troop is suppose to remain in their first district for a minimum of 2 yrs. That has sometimes been waived if there are quite a few classes going. A Troop can put in to transfer to their district of choice as soon as they get to their district even tho they might not be eligible to transfer. What that does is put them in line for their district of choice so by the time they have their 2 yrs in they've moved up the list.
                  How long before a person will get their transfer can't be determined. If they want to transfer to a real popular district that doesn't have much turnover of Troops then the line can be long. If the district they want doesn't have many retirements or people leaving then the vacancy will be slow coming. But if they put in for a district that is large and has a lot of people constantly transferring out then they might get their choice rather quickly. It also depends if a person transfers then can that district get someone to fill that vacancy the person just created. Too many variables to give a solid answer.

2. Is the first assignment semi-permanent.
                  Don't know what you mean by semi-permenant. New Troops are suppose to stay 2 yrs in their first district. There have been rare occasions where the Director has waived policy and "dumped the list" meaning letting everyone who wants to transfer go ahead and transfer thereby clearing the waiting list. This is rare and occurred when there were classes in and several classes scheduled in the future.

3. Chicago assignments are the local Interstates ?
                  Depends. The Toll Road district is just the toll road. District Chicago works mostly the interstate but that's because that's where they're needed with all the traffic. In that area every town, village, city has their own PD which are all generally very good depts so there is no need for the Troops to patrol those locations. They patrol their jurisdictions and the ISP picks up the other areas. There have been a few situations where towns have lost their entire PDs for whatever reason or because of on-going mismanagement by the town leaders which has required the state to actually take over and run the town until a new town government is in place. When things have gotten that bad that means the feds or state AG has been investigating the town government.

4. Typical work schedule/shifts/time.
                  Every district is different. Each district commander sets up their district's work schedule however they think it will work best for them. How that process is done in the district is also left to the district commander.
                  Some have permanent shifts, some rotate shifts, some have permanent mids and rotate days/evenings. Some have swing or power shifts in addition to regular day/evening/midnight shifts.
                  Days off are all over the board depending on the district. Some fixed days off, some rotating, some Kelly, some modified Kelly. It just depends on how the district wants to work it. In one district I commanded the Troops wanted to work 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 1 off, etc, with rotating days off. That's what the Troops wanted so I let them decide. Seemed like a screwed up system to me but they liked splitting their days off so didn't matter to me as long as I had coverage. My last district we had a Kelly system, advancing days off, working 10 hr days, where in a 7 week cycle they would have four weeks in a row with 3 days off and then 3 weeks in a row with 4 days off. Their 4 days off in a row advanced so they would have Thurs, Frid, Sat, Sun, then the next week Frid, Sat, Sun, Mon, then the 3rd week Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues. Then they'd go into their 4 week cycle with 3 days off in a row each week. I had the shifts set up working 6A-4P, 3P-1A, 10P-8A. That gave me double shift coverage for the morning work traffic particularly during the winter when we had the most problems, the afternoon work traffic wasn't so bad as businesses in the area varied their quitting time from 4P to 5:30 P so traffic really wasn't a problem. Then between 10P and 1A I had double shift coverage for the prime DUI time.
                  By contract I could vary their shifts 2 hrs either way on quick notice so if there was a major problem area or something came up where we needed more Troops for short duration I could adjust schedules to get more Troops but with 10 hr overlapping shifts still have people on the road without having to pay OT.
                  In addition I had a squad which concentrated on working drug interdiction.
                  Schedules weren't cut in stone tho. What may be a schedule in a certain district this year may be entirely different next year. It all depended on what that district's command needed for coverage.

5. Overtime money or time give backs, availability of OT.
                  Again, too variable to say. If there is a lot of highway construction going on then there could be a lot of OT funding for hireback enforcement details in the zones. If there is no construction projects going on in your district then there won't be any OT for construction zones where the district next to yours could have so much construction going on that they have to force Troops to work all the OT. One year (actually it went about 1.5 yrs) I had $250,000 in OT funds for one single construction projects. The Troops worked so much OT they were getting tired of it. They liked it at first but by about 1/2 way thru the project they were getting tired of working a couple of extra hours every day and working their days off. They made a lot of money on that 1 single project but towards the end Troops were tired and we were having to assign OT and force back Troops just to get the detail covered.
                  If the feds have a big push for DUI enforcement there could be a period of time where there's OT details running every Friday and Saturday night.
                  One doesn't want to get use to living on the OT tho. Like the $250,000 OT project I had. Lots of OT for 1.5 yrs then it got really slow. The pay is good enough that unless a Troop gets in over his head they don't need the OT to make it. Now, right out of the Academy, a new Troop is over $50K without OT. Troops get a step raise every year for the first 5 yrs, then every 2.5 yrs after that until 25 yrs. That is in addition to any annual raises. For example, if a new Troop comes on Sept 1, depending on the contract for that year they might get a raise on Jan 1, maybe another raise on July 1 or whatever the contract says, then on Sept 1 they'll get an anniversary step raise. A 5 yr Troop without OT is mid-60s.

6. Transfer to Champaign-Urbana area is that a "hot" area for Troops wanting to move into/transfer there.
                  That's District 10. Geographically it's a large district. D-10 will often get a new Troop or 2 out of the Academy. Their transfer list is probably like most districts.

7. Duty assignments are they divided by highway/interstate and rural policing or you handle a specific area ?
                  Depends on the district. In my last district I had Troops generally assigned to handle "X" county during their shift. If it's a busy enough county might divide the county up and assign a Troop to each section of the county. Or if there are counties that don't have much going on may assign 1 Troop to handled 2 counties.
                  If I had enough Troops working a certain day might run details where we'd assign a group of Troops to go into an area where there might be a problem, ie, high crashes, high incidents of underage drinking, whatever the issue, and we'd have those Troops "wolf pack" an area with high enforcement concentration.
                  183 FBINA

Comment

Mind if I throw in a question?

Does everyone get Marked Crown vic's?
                    And
                    Does ISP Have a SWAT team or is that more towards County/city?
                    Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
                    Killed in the line of duty.

Comment

Does everyone get Marked Crown vic's?
                      Not everyone gets a CV. Some have Impalas, some Chargers. Use to also have Mustangs and Cameros. Not all are marked. Some are plain white and some are any color imaginable. Some have Harleys.
                      Those are just the patrol people. When you get into the other divisions of the ISP then you'll find just about any kind of vehicle that you will see on any car dealer's lot. Patrol is only a part of the ISP. It's a big agency with a lot of varying responsibilities that many people never see nor know anything about. I don't know the current numbers but just a few years ago there were about 2100 sworn and only 900 of those were in uniform.

Does ISP Have a SWAT team or is that more towards County/city?
                      Yes, altho the ISP calls it TRT (Tactical Response Team). They are full time teams meaning that's all they do is TRT, no patrol. About 60 guys assigned to 3 teams. Each of the teams has primary responsibility for their area of the state, ie, northern team, central team, southern team. A northern team may have an op but they might be assisted by the central or southern team depending on how many people are needed for the op. So the guys travel all over the state. It takes about 2 yrs of full time training before a person is fully qualified as a TRT operator. They are very busy handling 300-400 call outs a year. Yup, that number is correct - 300 to 400 per year. Those are only high risk ops. Normal drug warrants are not handled by TRT. Those are handled by the task forces/MEGs. Only those where there is an indication the people are armed and will use violence might TRT be used. The ISP's TRT is available to any agency which needs SWAT ops. Several fed agencies use them instead of their own part time teams.
                      They are also the state of IL's primary Weapons of Mass Destruction response team to respond to any terrorist, biological, chemical, or nuclear attack. I won't go into all the toys they have and all their capabilities but suffice to say that they have a lot of pretty neat stuff and have all been thru a lot of training all over the country in situations that can only be imagined. They're a pretty good bunch of guys, very high speed, and slackers don't last.
                      Last edited by ISPCAPT; 09-22-2008, 09:59 PM.
                      183 FBINA

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

One last one for now.
                        Who/what decides what type of cruiser you get? (i know its kinda aesthetic (right word?) But i like cars )
                        And also how might one get onto this team? Start on ISP Patrol then move through the units or so?
                        One last thing (Not sure if i asked you personally ISPCapt but what about ride alongs? Or is the internship thing considered a ride along?

Thanks again!
                        Last edited by shifty277; 09-23-2008, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Who/what decides what type of cruiser you get?
                          If you mean who decides what kind of car the dept buys then that's done by state contract. The dept asks for certain equipment, size, performance, etc and works with Central Management Services (state purchasing agency) to spec the cars that would be acceptable. CMS then asks for bids.
                          If you mean who decides what car you get to drive when you are hired then that depends entirely on what cars are available. If the district has a couple of extra CVs then they'll select one of the CVs. If you report to a district that has an extra CV and an extra Impala then you might get to choose or the district most likely will choose. The district equipment officer has the maintenance records for every squad and if one is more prone to problems then that car will most likely be left as a spare.

And also how might one get onto this team? Start on ISP Patrol then move through the units or so?
                          First, there has to be a vacancy announcement which means the Director has agreed to allow TRT to get new members. They are authorized 60 personnel but seldom have been at full strength. 2 reasons. Every division in the ISP is short people. If you take people from one job to fill another that just creates a vacancy somewhere else. So it's a balancing act to ensure a vacancy in one place doesn't negatively impact too many places. Second reason is it's very tough to get on the team, complete all the training, and stay on the team.
                          Once there is a vacancy posted then Troops can apply. TRT command will contact the applicant's command to get a good feel for what kind of person is applying. If the Troop is a slug or their command doesn't believe the person puts out 100% then that's the end of the application. Selectees are then invited to test. I believe it's still a week of testing but it may be 2 weeks now. Lots and lots of physical testing, teamwork exercises, shooting, and very long hours intended to wear down a person mentally and physically. You live in tents the entire time and don't return home. Once selections are made then the training begins.

what about ride alongs? Or is the internship thing considered a ride along?
                          Most districts have some kind of ride along program for those who are going into LE. It's not set up for just anyone to ride along because they want to spend a day in a squad car. The district commander has to authorize any ride alongs.
                          Most districts also have some kind of internship program. Those are worked thru the colleges. Students apply to our intern coordinator who screens the applicants and has a limited background check run on them. A district then has to agree to take the intern. What the intern does is up to the program that each district sets up. Every district program differs.
                          Internships are non-paying. It's set up so a student who is studying LE can see what the dept is like.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks!

Comment

So much good information here! ISPCAPT your responses are alway so well thought out and written, you bring good cred to the ISP. Thanks!

I am a sworn local officer of about 2 years. I am pretty aggressive, I love doing DUI's, Suspended/Revoked's, and Overweights. I plan on testing for ISP pretty soon here. I crave the open road and I am tired of being confined to city limits.

Anyways, do you know anything about District 2 Elgin? This seems like a great area to work with some variety. Kane County has some busy ghetto area's like Elgin and Carpentersville, mixed with some nicer places like St Charles and Geneva. McHenry County, which seems to be soccer mom land. Same with DuPage. DeKalb County seems some what busy with NIU. Not sure about Lake County.

Do lots of people request this district? Thanks in advance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5304 users online. 301 members and 5003 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X