300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    I want to say they tested in Jan, April, and now and Nov or so of last year. From what I hear, they can't hold on to the new guys. Some have left right after getting out of school.
    Chicago took a couple of the new guys fresh out of the academy. Harvey doesn't lose guys to depts like Dolton or Markham, they lose guys to "better" depts.
    "It's a whole lot better to go up the river with seven studs than a hundred ****heads."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Comment

• Originally posted by itsme37 View Post
      Chicago took a couple of the new guys fresh out of the academy. Harvey doesn't lose guys to depts like Dolton or Markham, they lose guys to "better" depts.
      They need to pay those guys, simple and plain. They're paying them peanuts, not funding their pensions..to work in a town that has been jumping since forever. Never fails, every FORMER HARVEY COPPER I know except one that was only there a year had multiple OISs, multiple stories of coppers getting shot, coppers lighting up offenders...it's been like that for years but they won't pay them and actually have some old school draconian policies for appearance etc., not letting people eat outside their beats, just some stuff you wouldn't expect in a town that busy.

Comment

• The solution is very simple, guys should stop applying to departments such as this. No one is forcing someone to apply for crap pay and crap working conditions.
        www.saveavet.org

Comment

• Originally posted by dogcop View Post
          No one is forcing someone to apply for crap pay and crap working conditions.
          Some people will do anything or work anywhere to get their foot in the door. At one point in my life, if my opportunity hadn't presented itself, I would have been desperate enough to have applied there.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

The solution is very simple, guys should stop applying to departments such as this. No one is forcing someone to apply for crap pay and crap working conditions.
            Not all of us can get on your dream department. That is if yours ever hires, lol. Where ya been Doggy? Haven't seen you in forever.

Comment

• The pay is not crap. Unless you come from money, 64k a year is a damn decent paycheck. Of course, like all LEO's, more money is wanted (some dont deserve it), and in the hood you would like to see the hardworkers make more money, but it doesnt happen that way. The f-d up thing is last week was hot as balls and guys are riding around in vics with no A/C.
              "It's a whole lot better to go up the river with seven studs than a hundred ****heads."

Comment

• Hold up harvey makes 64 a year???? I'm sure I heard like 39k

Comment

• I thought it was 39k to start then with in the first year it goes up by 10k depends on the contract in place at the time of hire correct?

Originally posted by kevmat9 View Post
                  Hold up harvey makes 64 a year???? I'm sure I heard like 39k

Comment

• Not sure of the current raise in salary but about 5 years ago starting was 39k, after one year it was 48k, year 3 was 56k then 60-64k top, not sure which one it was. With all the court time and OT that you will have, you can easily clear 80

Comment

• Not worried about pay anyway as long as I have a career going with health insurance I would be more then happy

Originally posted by itsme37 View Post
                      Not sure of the current raise in salary but about 5 years ago starting was 39k, after one year it was 48k, year 3 was 56k then 60-64k top, not sure which one it was. With all the court time and OT that you will have, you can easily clear 80

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                        They need to pay those guys, simple and plain. They're paying them peanuts, not funding their pensions..to work in a town that has been jumping since forever. Never fails, every FORMER HARVEY COPPER I know except one that was only there a year had multiple OISs, multiple stories of coppers getting shot, coppers lighting up offenders...it's been like that for years but they won't pay them and actually have some old school draconian policies for appearance etc., not letting people eat outside their beats, just some stuff you wouldn't expect in a town that busy.
                        At this point, I don't even think it is about the money. People just know from experience and word-of-mouth how hard it is to get hired as a PO these days. Harvey, like a handful of departments in the suburbs are just certification-mills. Test at Harvey, know you have great odds at getting on, get certified, apply at a better area department as a certified and prosper. Eventually Harvey will catch on and actually start making PO's sign contracts upon hire which state that can't leave for a certain amount of time like other suburbs have done.

Comment

• It's not even about getting on a "dream" department or having top tier pay. Respect from the Administration and the ability of the Department to allow you to operate in safe conditions, meaning working equipment. Like I've said time and time again, I'm not dissing or slamming any Harvey Officers. What I have issue with with the conditions in which they are made to work in. But guys also have to realize that granted I love being a Police Officer, this is not a career worth putting yourself in harms way based upon the incompetence of the Government that runs it.

Lets say I really wanted to be a Chef, I know chances are I won't walk right into Morton's Steakhouse and have my prime job. But I also wouldn't work where there was no regards for sanitation, the deep fryer frequently overflows and burns guys, grease is left on the floor for guys to slip on, and customers come in and urinate on the floor.

In regards to departments in the Chicagoland area, if you asked 100 Cops around the area which PD would you never work at, I bet of 90 or more would say Harvey. There is no reason to work for such a dysfunctional corrupt city government.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

It's not even about getting on a "dream" department or having top tier pay. Respect from the Administration and the ability of the Department to allow you to operate in safe conditions, meaning working equipment. Like I've said time and time again, I'm not dissing or slamming any Harvey Officers. What I have issue with with the conditions in which they are made to work in. But guys also have to realize that granted I love being a Police Officer, this is not a career worth putting yourself in harms way based upon the incompetence of the Government that runs it.

Lets say I really wanted to be a Chef, I know chances are I won't walk right into Morton's Steakhouse and have my prime job. But I also wouldn't work where there was no regards for sanitation, the deep fryer frequently overflows and burns guys, grease is left on the floor for guys to slip on, and customers come in and urinate on the floor.

In regards to departments in the Chicagoland area, if you asked 100 Cops around the area which PD would you never work at, I bet of 90 or more would say Harvey. There is no reason to work for such a dysfunctional corrupt city government.
                            Agreed, and to add on to that, if you asked those same 100 officers if they know a guy that started in Harvey and has became successful in his new dept, 90 of them would say that they do.

Comment

Not sure of the current raise in salary but about 5 years ago starting was 39k, after one year it was 48k, year 3 was 56k then 60-64k top, not sure which one it was. With all the court time and OT that you will have, you can easily clear 80
                              Three years to make 56k for base pay while riding around in a vic with no A/C..PLUS the things I mentioned before is still a rip off.

Comment

Agreed, and to add on to that, if you asked those same 100 officers if they know a guy that started in Harvey and has became successful in his new dept, 90 of them would say that they do.
                                The ones that I have encountered, oh yeah...they do well at other departments and are respected.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9311 users online. 257 members and 9054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X