Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from Harvey's PD Orientation. This was probably one of the most informative orientations I've ever took part of. We got a chance to meet several commanders, city officials, and even the Mayor made a great speech. It looks like the city is really trying to turn things around with more economic development, and adding more officers to there already 70 sworn officer roster.

In all 120 applicants showed up. That's amazing because Harvey didn't advertise on the BlueLine, so I was expecting no more than 60 applicants. I'm not the least bit worried because a lot of applicants didn't look that physically fit. They have 2 weeks to get into shape, and that doesn't look possible. In all Harvey is looking to hire 6 Officers out of an eligibility list of 15.

Starting pay is $35,000 - after one year it's $44,000. Residency is 22 miles. And if at anytime a Rookie quits before 2 years he/she has to pay the city of Harvey $3,000 - $4,000 as stated in a signed contract.

Written test is the same written test every other South Burb has (COPS/Research Managment). The written test date is next Saturday (November 1st, 2008). Power test is a week after that. The 6 officers hired will start the academy in Jan 2009.
    Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

I agree with StephDakel, surprising number on the turnout this morning but in all reality, most of the people are not going to finish the run in time. Using universal machines which makes it easier on the bench press, but the situps and the run with finish the rest off. Best of luck to all that show up next saturday, I'll see you all there.
      "It's a whole lot better to go up the river with seven studs than a hundred ****heads."
      "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Comment

I always heard that the COPS test was the hardest, going over the material it seems like the easiest I've ever been exposed to. Does it usually drop a lot of people?

Comment

Drops a lot of people.

Why, I have no idea. Out of the 5 times I've taken this test, I've never failed it. How people fail a test when they give you a study guide is beyond me. Me and my bestfriend joke all the time wondering when they're going to change the format.

I think the numbers are going to go like this.....

120 will test
          80 will past the written test
          30 will past the P.O.W.E.R test
          15 will be pass the oral board

....those are my rough numbers, what do you think?

Comment

Those numbers seem pretty realistic, might even be less than 120 testing. A lot were just there for jobs. I'm upset about how they kept stressing they want to hire women, I'm sure most of those women wouldn't make it a year. Do you think that white people get Affirmative Action points? Harvey seems like a pretty strict department with high standards, I'm actually looking forward to getting on with them. They pay about as much as CPD too.

Comment

Not sure what being white or affrimative action has to do with anything, I'm going into a career where the only color that matters is blue.

Anyhow, like you said....some of those folks couldn't of possibly been looking for a career in law enforcement. The P.O.W.E.R test is going to be a day of giggles for me. I can't wait to see how many people fail the run after 1 lap around the track. As for people showing up for the test, trust me they will....after paying a $50 application fee you can bet all 120 people will show.

Were you surprised how many current police officers were applying?! I sure was.

I agree with you about the Dept. I've applied to other agencies and to be honest, Harvey seems like one of the better agencies as far as the relationship with officers and admin. Also you can tell that the admin. is trying to regain respect, and be more picky with applicants.

Good luck!
              Last edited by StephDakel; 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM. Reason: application fee

Comment

Once on the job all we see is blue, before we get hired we see minorities and quotas, lol. The only confirmed cop I saw was the Dixmoore officer that the mayor called out. I saw some guys that looked like cops but wasn't sure. I'm assuming one of the spots is going to him for sure, are the 6 slots for the academy or for hiring?

Comment

I was one of the first guys to arrive, so I overheard a couple of guys ranting about what Dept they work for. Plus my best friend currently works with several other officers who were there.

What was that whole thing the Mayor did when he called out the Dixmoore cop? Did he say something about he was getting certified (the mayor)???

By the way, all 6 slots are slated for hire in Jan 2009.

Comment

I guess him and the Doxmoore cop are boys and he was just saying "wassup". So does the six slots mean if they hire six current officers they wont hire anyone for the academy? I don't know if the six slots is just the number they are willing to send to the academy or the number they are hiring period. What departments are they from?

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                      I always heard that the COPS test was the hardest, going over the material it seems like the easiest I've ever been exposed to. Does it usually drop a lot of people?
                      It does drop a decent amount of people. Before they allowed more time, it used to drop a lot of people. Then people started complaining and they doubled the time allowed for the test.

The POWER test usually drops probably 25% of the people. Almost anyone can run a .5 mile but stretch that to 1.5 and not that many can do it without preparation. Forget about the situps!

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                        I guess him and the Doxmoore cop are boys and he was just saying "wassup". So does the six slots mean if they hire six current officers they wont hire anyone for the academy? I don't know if the six slots is just the number they are willing to send to the academy or the number they are hiring period. What departments are they from?
                        LOL....are you purposely trying to confuse yourself?!

6 slots is just what it means.........6 slots! That means they want 6 more police officers. Certification, and the academy has nothing to do with it. They were pretty clear when explaining that at orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                          6 slots is just what it means.........6 slots! That means they want 6 more police officers. Certification, and the academy has nothing to do with it. They were pretty clear when explaining that at orientation.
                          Actually it's now 5 opennings. You forgot the "Wassup" to the Dixie-mo copper. You know he's a shoe in...

Comment

^^I hate to admit it, but you're right. It was pretty evident that the dixiemore cop is a shoe-in.
                            Last edited by StephDakel; 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I would assume all the coppers are shoe ins, so there are probably only one or two slots open now.

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                                I was one of the first guys to arrive, so I overheard a couple of guys ranting about what Dept they work for. Plus my best friend currently works with several other officers who were there.

What was that whole thing the Mayor did when he called out the Dixmoore cop? Did he say something about he was getting certified (the mayor)???

By the way, all 6 slots are slated for hire in Jan 2009.

The mayor was put on dixmore p.d. as a favor, he got certified last year.

The guys who are already cops will have first shot at those 6 slots........also Harvey has a history of having issues with white officers.

One of the upper admin is top notch but the mayor and his brother (who is really a plumber by trade but holds a director postion) really controls what goes on around there.......

Not to mention that there were numerous articles in the paper and internet about how Harvey wasnt properly paying the pension fund for the P.D.
                                ALL of you guys would be wise to google and research Harvey, you might find the article from retired chief Joshua about what went on at HPD during his tenure in reagrds to the mayor and his boys.
                                Just an FYI

Alot of the guys on here that are telling you about Harvey are in the know, I havent read anything on here thats false yet.

You went to an orientation and you hear what they want to tell you, appearances arent everything.
                                Last edited by BPD99; 10-26-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7837 users online. 372 members and 7465 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X