300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cable View Post
    And what percentage of Harvey coppers do you think are "dirty"?
    Me? No idea. I could probably do a google search though if I had the time and get you some numbers. Or stories of mishandling evidence. Or any number of things.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

• Nissan becareful what you say on this board, You're on probation? I'm just giving you heads up. Becareful and good luck taking care of our prisoners we send you.

Comment

• What does CCDOC top out at and how long does it take? I bet it isn't as high/as fast as Harvey. Not to mention they at least are the police. So this forum went from saying that the Harvey PD is not as reputable to others and has had bad history to actually calling some of their officers corrupt? Wow, if people actually knew what went on there you would all be disgusted with yourselves. The CC commissions website has a whole paragraph about how they promise they wont hire based on politics, as do the forms for the physical test. You think that happens because they do things fairly? Until you have had the experience that others have had on here you shouldn't talk about the subject. I don't know what you did before you were a Deputy Sheriff recruit, nor do you know what I have done in my life, but you better have a little more than a couple months in the academy in your history before you start calling out departments that you probably never even met someone from. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of inmates that were locked up by the Harvey police, until you have locked ANYONE up, or at least graduate the academy and turn a couple keys, I would suggest to not comment on things you don't know about. As for myself, I will not continue to argue anything other than the pay issue I previously called you out on. Good luck on the inside, hope it's everything you want it to be.
        Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

• Originally posted by NissanGTR2012
          When there is something going on with Cook or Chicago Police, the SunTimes are all over that story. I'm sure if Cook had The FBI come in (besides the federal mandate), that we would have heard it a long time ago. It would be front page news on the SunTimes. The media would file a FOIA in a heartbeat to get that story.

It would be front page news because IT'S COOK COUNTY AND CHICAGO POLICE!!!!!

You need to realize that there are very few departments in the Greater Chicago Area that haven't been investigated by the department of Justice over the last 20 years. Harvey makes news because the mayors a crook who appoints other crooks to positions of power, and for some reason, can't get caught.

I know the Sun Times has reported those stories, but not promonently. No PD is free of having a few bad apples

Comment

• Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
            What does CCDOC top out at and how long does it take? I bet it isn't as high/as fast as Harvey. Not to mention they at least are the police. So this forum went from saying that the Harvey PD is not as reputable to others and has had bad history to actually calling some of their officers corrupt? Wow, if people actually knew what went on there you would all be disgusted with yourselves. The CC commissions website has a whole paragraph about how they promise they wont hire based on politics, as do the forms for the physical test. You think that happens because they do things fairly? Until you have had the experience that others have had on here you shouldn't talk about the subject. I don't know what you did before you were a Deputy Sheriff recruit, nor do you know what I have done in my life, but you better have a little more than a couple months in the academy in your history before you start calling out departments that you probably never even met someone from. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of inmates that were locked up by the Harvey police, until you have locked ANYONE up, or at least graduate the academy and turn a couple keys, I would suggest to not comment on things you don't know about. As for myself, I will not continue to argue anything other than the pay issue I previously called you out on. Good luck on the inside, hope it's everything you want it to be.
            Uh...its pretty well documented that there were corrupt cops there.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
              There were corrupt cops. Are there still corrupt cops.

Other that the recent tavern shooting, some domestic issues, and a couple of acts of utter stupidity, when was the last time they've been in the news for corruption?

Comment

Jeff I am gonna go on a limb here and make an assessment. You possess less than 5 years on the job????? Anyone with more would be a bit more careful in their blanket assessments of cops and other departments and when they spoke they would speak from a position of both authority and experience. If you want an example read some of the posts by ChiTownDet. He is not talking about what he read in the paper, he talks of what he has known, done, and seen. I try to do the same thing and I present examples of precisely what I am talking about. Harvey has had problems.... no doubt. There AINT a single agency in Cook County that hasnt experienced corruption on some level, not a single one!!!! I will call you on it right now and say name your own agency and I GUARANTEE I WILL find you an episode of incompetence, corruption, favoritism or a coverup......NAME YOUR AGENCY. BY the way....we get it you dont like Harvey....did they not hire you and now it is your job to magnify their flaws. You are acting like the old lady making the noise complaint about the party next door. The party isnt bothering anyone....they are just ticked because they weren't invited.

The Challenge remains....name the agency...I will identify the corruption as you take the holier than thou position with Harvey
                You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NissanGTR2012
                  You have your opinion and I have mine. We will leave it at that. If you want to apply for this dept, by all means go for it. As far as Cook County goes, getting hired based on politics and making a gun dissapear are two COMPLETELY different subjects. I'm gonna leave it at that.
                  Really? Again you arent even out of the academy and you are speaking of which you have NO knowledge.

There are PLENTY of things in the county that go "missing" or disapear. You just dont hear about it as much cause of the size of the county.

Hmm am i mistaken or werent there a FEW occasions over the last few years where inmates escaped after "beating up" an officer, which later was revealed he helped. Or what about a gun brought in by an officer which aided in and escape?

DO NOT think the county is even close to clean. You havent even worked day one yet............ all i can say is CYA.

Best advice my LT. gave me after PTI, C.Y.A.

Comment

Absolutely incorrect. It can't be said about most departments. That's why people are saying what they are about his one. To compare a department with 10,000 cops to one with fifty or sixty is a bad example. Justifying and excusing poor management doesn't help anyone.
                    I can draw a map of the metropolitan area and start in the center with chicago or I can grab a copy of a UCR report listing the names of every state, county, and local LE agency and cite elements of corruption and incompetence....from top to bottom. I can cite examples of agencies with 10 thousand or more officers (LA, near 10k CPD, NY) I can further cite examples with 50 or 60 Maywood, Country Club Hills, Harvey....I can go on
                    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

• Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                      Jeff I am gonna go on a limb here and make an assessment. You possess less than 5 years on the job????? Anyone with more would be a bit more careful in their blanket assessments of cops and other departments and when they spoke they would speak from a position of both authority and experience. If you want an example read some of the posts by ChiTownDet. He is not talking about what he read in the paper, he talks of what he has known, done, and seen. I try to do the same thing and I present examples of precisely what I am talking about. Harvey has had problems.... no doubt. There AINT a single agency in Cook County that hasnt experienced corruption on some level, not a single one!!!! I will call you on it right now and say name your own agency and I GUARANTEE I WILL find you an episode of incompetence, corruption, favoritism or a coverup......NAME YOUR AGENCY. BY the way....we get it you dont like Harvey....did they not hire you and now it is your job to magnify their flaws. You are acting like the old lady making the noise complaint about the party next door. The party isnt bothering anyone....they are just ticked because they weren't invited.

The Challenge remains....name the agency...I will identify the corruption as you take the holier than thou position with Harvey
                      So in the same post that you caution me against making blanket statements, you try to make some about me based on your assumtptions? All wrong by the way. Good try though. If facts get in the way, attack the person. I never tested in Harvey. I also have more than five years on. I don't have a particular dislike of Harvery, I'm sure there are some great guys there. But to act like there hasn't been a problem there, more so than most other agencies, is wrong. You know it and I know it. Thats great you want to defend them, but most departments don't have repeated incidents. EVery agency will have screw ups, but not ongoing patterns. Not all kinds of evidence issues. Not guys trying to run dope.

I'll name some agencies, and you give me some examples of the rampant corruption you speak of:

Romeoville
                      Barrington
                      Elmhurst
                      Hoffman Estates

There you go. I picked from a variety of places in the metro area.

Comment

• http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.c...in-harvey.html

Four Harvery coppers out of how many?

15 officers caught in FBI drug sting
                        December 2, 2008 1:48 PM | 25 Comments
                        Authorities on Tuesday announced that 10 Cook County corrections officers and sheriff's deputies, four Harvey police officers and one Chicago officer were charged with providing protection for what they thought were a dozen large-scale shipments of cocaine and heroin.

The FBI says it launched the yearlong sting after widespread reports from informants and other cops that law-enforcement officers in southern Cook County were engaging in robbery, extortion and distribution of narcotics and weapons.

"I ain't always been in law enforcement," a Harvey cop allegedly bragged to the drug dealer whose business he was paid to protect. "I sold a lot of weight at a young age, I just never got caught."

His luck ran out Tuesday, though, as federal authorities unsealed charges against the Harvey police officer and the 14 other law-enforcement officers.

The drug dealer was an undercover FBI agent who secretly recorded his conversations. Two civilians were also charged.

"When drug dealers deal drugs, they ought to be afraid of the police -- not turn to them for help," U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald said during a news conference announcing the charges.

The transactions took place from August 2007 to August 2008 in parking lots throughout the south suburbs, as well as one at DuPage Airport.

Assigned to ferret out police corruption, the undercover FBI agent took a job at the Skybox, a strip club in Harvey, sources said. Posing as a big-time drug broker, he convinced Ahyetoro "Red" Taylor and Raphael Manuel, both corrections officers, to assist him and reach out to friends to work security as well.

The officers were told to carry their weapons and badges and use them to fend off anyone who might try to interfere in the deal, including other dealers or suspicious police officers, authorities charged.

The 15 officers shared in a combined $44,000 in payoffs for their illicit security work, a total of $400 to $4,000 for each deal, according to the charges.

A 61-page criminal complaint detailed much of the wrongdoing. On one occasion, Harvey Police Officer Dwayne Williams allegedly met the undercover agent at the strip club to discuss an upcoming deal involving a purported 30 kilograms of cocaine and several kilograms of heroin. The complaint quoted Williams as saying that if they were interrupted by other police, he would do the talking.

In another deal, Manuel allegedly told the undercover agent that he and Taylor could interdict any local law enforcement if necessary, according to the charges.

"We know how to politic with the local authorities in case they try to stick their noses in stuff like that," Manuel allegedly said. "Then that way it gives everybody else a chance to split."

Harvey Police Officer Archie Stallworth, 36, who also works as a Metra conductor, counseled the undercover agent to conduct the drug buys at train stations, the charges alleged.

"The best spot for ya'll to do that, believe it or not, is the train station," Stallworth allegedly said. "Fast food places, that's where we [law enforcement] be looking. Sit there all day or they set up surveillance cameras."

Authorities said he also told the agent to conduct the deals in Harvey.

"The only reason I say Harvey's the best [expletive] place to do it is because if anything's going down, we going to know about it," Stallworth told the agent.

Stallworth and the other three Harvey officers have been suspended without pay, and the village will seek their dismissal, Harvey Police Acting Chief Denard Eaves said.

Metra also suspended Stallworth without pay, Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said.

All 10 sheriff's employees have been suspended with pay until a hearing next week. Sheriff Thomas Dart said he will then seek to have them suspended without pay pending their firing.

The sheriff said his office began its own investigation in January after other employees notified department officials of their suspicions about some of the defendants. Dart said he backed off conducting an undercover probe at the FBI's request when he learned of the federal investigation.

Dart said his office has installed stricter hiring policies and background checks to try to weed out problem employees.

"We have put in all sorts of new hiring practices. Lie detectors, psychological testing -- all these things to head these issues off at the pass. Are we still weeding out some bad characters? Yeah, but is there widespread corruption? No."

Comment

• http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...theft-20100511

Harvey Police Allegedly Interfere with Gun Theft Investigation
                          Updated: Wednesday, 19 May 2010, 7:21 PM CDT
                          Published : Tuesday, 11 May 2010, 9:24 PM CDT

By Lilia Chacon, FOX Chicago News

Harvey, Ill. - Harvey Police are under fire tonight for interfering with an investigation into the theft of more than 20 high-powered guns and rifles from a police gun range.

The weapons were taken sometime over the weekend from a facility used by Harvey Police and other departments for target practice and officer certification.

The missing stash includes MP-5 and AR-15 rifles, but the thief was picky and some guns were left behind.

The Harvey Police chief asked the Cook County Sheriff's Department to help with the case, but late tonight the Sheriff's Department withdrew from the investigation.

Steve Patterson with the Cook County Sheriff's Department said his people would help with the case as long as they were allowed to do so without interference from Harvey police.

But when Cook County officers attempted to question people who might have been involved, they realized Harvey Police had not kept their promise to allow a free and clear investigation. After only five hours on the case the sheriff's department pulled out.

"It has become abundantly clear that the work by our officers would not be independent," Patterson said.

The Harvey Police Department has been under investigation for years, for mishandling murders and for corruption involving its officers.

The Illinois State Police and Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms are still assisting.

Comment

• Feds raid Harvey Police Department
                            December 5, 2008 1:49 PM | 15 Comments
                            Federal agents descended on the embattled Harvey Police Department about 9 a.m. and were still on scene several hours later, an FBI spokesman said.

The agents arrived to "execute a search warrant as part of an ongoing federal investigation," FBI spokesman Ross Rice said.

About 11 a.m., an FBI agent and a Cook County sheriff's deputy stood guard at the front of the Harvey station, telling the public it is closed except for emergencies.

Two FBI agents sat in a car behind the station blocking an entrance to the station's underground entrance.

Rice would not say whether the action was connected to the charges announced earlier this week against four Harvey police officers and 11 other law-enforcement officers accused of serving as security for large-scale drug deals.

He said this morning's action did not include any new arrests.

Harvey Mayor Eric J. Kellogg said in a news release this afternoon: "On today's date, the FBI conducted a search warrant at the Harvey Police Department, in relation to an ongoing investigation. At this time, the Police Department is up and functioning and continues to provide police services to the City of Harvey. The police department has and will continue to cooperate and assist the FBI in this process. The City of Harvey and the Harvey Police Department do not condone any type of corruption or illegal activity. The safety and security of our residents continues to be our No. 1 priority."

Comment

• Criminal Conduct of Harvey Police Officers Alleged in Two Lawsuits
                              0 0 0

CHICAGO, Jan. 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Two lawsuits are seeking
                              amendment today (January 25, 2007), adding that City of Harvey Police
                              Officers have engaged in such a widespread pattern of abuse that Mayor
                              Kellogg and Police Commanders Gentry and Keel are fully implicated in the
                              corruption.
                              Ranicka Stone (Stone v. City of Harvey, et al., 06 C 5001) was forced
                              to perform fellatio on Officer Tyrone Johnson (who has since pled guilty to
                              this crime). Many other officers have been similarly charged, the lawsuit
                              alleges. "The fact that Officer Johnson thought that he would be able to
                              get away with torture only demonstrates that the mayor is deliberately
                              putting his head in the sand and not properly disciplining and terminating
                              officers," according to the Stone's complaint.
                              The mayor's indifference to officer misconduct comes as no surprise as
                              he has hired at least two officers into high positions (Commanders of the
                              Police Department), notwithstanding prior and significant discipline of
                              these officers. Darnell Keel has been disciplined, charged, and/or been the
                              subject of investigations for hiding information of his own physical abuse
                              and oral threats directed toward civilians. After being hired as Commander,
                              the suit alleges, Keel is alleged to have made many racial remarks directed
                              towards white officers.
                              Commander Gentry, long after he became commander, has been well known
                              for his gang membership in with the Vice Lords. He eventually was
                              terminated for criminal activity.
                              The other amendment in McKnight v. City of Harvey, 05 C 1970, alleges
                              the same acts of misconduct as does the Stone case, but the time period to
                              submit allegations against the Mayor and Commanders Gentry and Keel has
                              expired.
                              The Law Offices of Blake Horwitz, a police misconduct law firm, serves
                              clients in the City of Chicago and around the country. Mr. Horwitz has had
                              many successes in the field of Police Misconduct, including a
                              $28,000,000.00 verdict against the City of Chicago, the largest police
                              brutality verdict in the Midwest.
                              Contact: Blake Horwitz or Jasmyn Smith, The Law Offices of Blake
                              Horwitz, Police Misconduct Attorneys, 155 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 723,
                              Chicago, IL 60601; (312) 616-4433, [email protected]

Comment

• Harvey failed to act on key DNA evidence
                                1 year after '02 assault case, suspect raped woman
                                September 27, 2007|By Matthew Walberg, Tribune staff reporter
                                Harvey police investigators had DNA evidence linking a convicted sex offender to a 2002 rape, but never sought charges against the man, who later raped a woman in Chicago.

In July, Darnell Cooper, 40, was charged in the Harvey case after prosecutors found the DNA evidence amid hundreds of rape kits seized from the suburban police department when it was raided by other law-enforcement agencies in January.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5893 users online. 258 members and 5635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X