300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Cameras.....What Do You Think?

I have already made up my mind about the plan by our illustrious governor to place speed cameras on the tollways. Just want to see what everyone else thinks about it. I drive the tollways all the time and I am not too crazy about this whole thing. It's bad enough that the IPASS system logs where and when you pass through a toll plaza.
    I think they are a good idea.
    5.88%
    I think they are a rotten idea.
    76.47%
    I am not affected by speed cameras, but I still don't like Rod.
    17.65%

The poll is expired.

This just started in work zones in Washington

Work zone speed enforcement cameras now in Southwest Washington
    Date: Friday, September 05, 2008
    Contact: Ted Trepanier, WSDOT State Traffic Engineer (360) 705-7280 (Olympia)
    Alice Fiman, WSDOT Communications (360) 705-7080 (Olympia)

CHEHALIS – Drivers on I-5 through Southwest Washington will see a new tool to keep drivers, passengers and roadway workers safe.

The Washington State Department of Transportation launches a pilot project Sept. 15 utilizing automated speed enforcement cameras to cite motorists driving too fast through construction work zones. The first camera location is the I-5 work zone south of Chehalis.

“Along with our Washington State Patrol partners, we place a high priority on highway safety,” said Ted Trepanier, WSDOT State Traffic Engineer at a kick-off event Friday in Chehalis. “We want speeds to go down, which will make work zones safer for drivers and our crews. The automated traffic safety cameras are just part of the highway safety program.”

Photos of the kick-off event, including the SUV unit and accompanying highway signs, will be available later today at: www.flickr.com/wsdot.

The automated traffic safety cameras are mounted in a small sport utility vehicle parked next to the highway. Starting Monday, Sept. 15, an operator will check the equipment and then the speed radar and camera goes to work, catching the rear license plate of vehicles speeding through the work zone. A $137 citation is then mailed to the vehicle’s registered owner.

Drivers may see crews testing the SUV next week.

The cameras are just part of WSDOT’s “Give ‘Em A Brake” program, to promote the protection of workers out on the job. But you can also give yourself a break by driving carefully in the work zone. Remember that it takes approximately 200 feet for you to stop your car when you’re traveling at 60 mph.

Between 2001 and 2006, work zone collisions increased by nearly 60 percent, from only 686 in 2001 to 1,097 in 2006. The top two reasons for work zone crashes are speeding and inattentive driving. And, the majority of work zone deaths and injuries are drivers and passengers – accounting for 99 percent of the total in 2006.

For more information on the program, a question and answer section and public feedback form, please visit: www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/ATSC. To read more facts and tips on driving through a work zone, please visit our “Give ‘Em A Brake” Web site at www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/Brake/.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

Comment

option 3's for me
      Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
      Me: you really want an answer to that
      Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7660 users online. 414 members and 7246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X