300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why part time officers get barred??

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and while this is my first post, I have read
    many of your threads and have even searched for threads in the past to not bring
    up the same topics.

While I have read many threads about the power test in Illinois being unfair,
    (which I totally agree after being a police officer for 6 months part time, lost
    40lbs, and still failed the 98% of your body weight bench press, while the 54
    year old women who started at my department and some other 69 year old male who
    was testing with another department, breezed through it with no problem, after which I
    was barred) I know it does no good to rant and rave about it because it is what
    it is and its what all we "wannabe's" got to pass to get in, so we just got to
    suck it up and pass it. (or wait until we get the first discount at 30 years
    old )

My question is, why they would BAR you from being a part-time police officer? That is a nice stepping-stone into a bigger department, and yet they take that away after 6months. And why can you get an extension waiver to retake the exam, but not the power? Does anybody have any idea why this would be???

Can't really answer your question, but com'on honestly - bench pressing 98% of your body weight one time isn't that tough.

Please for comical sake....let me know what department hired a 69 year old male? I'm dying to know.
    Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

What does it mean that you have been "barred"? I do not know of any police department where if you fail the POWER test, you cannot test again during their next testing cycle.

Some people have an easier time with various aspects of the POWER test than other people. However, the fact remains that as a police officer, you should be able to lift off at least 98% of your bady weight. What will you do if you are in a fight with someone much larger than yourself and you have to push them off of you if the need arises? Your best option is to train for the tests, and then you should have no problem passing them.

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
        Can't really answer your question, but com'on honestly - bench pressing 98% of your body weight one time isn't that tough.

Please for comical sake....let me know what department hired a 69 year old male? I'm dying to know.

I understand it shouldn't be that tough, but for me it was. I am 6'4 and weighed 288lbs when I went for the test, After I failed you had one other attempt for that part time class, if you didn't do that you had 6 months from the date of hire, i was hired in may of 2007 and by november of 2007 i dropped to 248, but still could not pass the bench press.

The ILETSB under part time officer training states you are barred from being a part time officer in illinois, under "mandates".

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post

Also, i believe it was Nauvoo, illinois where the guy was in his 60's, part time of course.

Comment

Originally posted by blueline1032 View Post
            What does it mean that you have been "barred"? I do not know of any police department where if you fail the POWER test, you cannot test again during their next testing cycle.

Some people have an easier time with various aspects of the POWER test than other people. However, the fact remains that as a police officer, you should be able to lift off at least 98% of your bady weight. What will you do if you are in a fight with someone much larger than yourself and you have to push them off of you if the need arises? Your best option is to train for the tests, and then you should have no problem passing them.

I am still able to test as many times as it takes for a full time job, it just list in the ILETSB you get one shot with the first department that hires you.

I understand you gotta be in shape by all means, and I have nobody to blame but myself because I knew what the test was all about, I just wish i had known you would get barred after one shot, because i would have waited.

I have had my fair share of fights and rundowns in that 6months, plus four years auxiliary (rent a cop) as auxiliary you are just extra muscle for the real police officers.

Comment

I think you are mis-understanding the statute (or perhaps I am). But, you can fail the POWER test and STILL become a part-time officer down the road...assuming of course you pass the POWER test the next time.

HOWEVER, Once you're in the academy....YOU'RE IN! Meaning, you cannot drop out, for example, and re-enroll later on. Again, once you're in you have to graduate!!

This is/was meant to prevent people from 'department hopping'

Comment

The power test is NOT unfair, if anything it is too easy. If you cannot bench 98% of your body weight there is only one option-START LIFTING. You do not get an exception because you're tall. Plus, I don't see how you get off calling someone a "wannabe" when they can at least pass the power test. First thing you must do is recognize that nothing is owed to you and everything you do MUST be earned. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                  The power test is NOT unfair, if anything it is too easy. If you cannot bench 98% of your body weight there is only one option-START LIFTING. You do not get an exception because you're tall. Plus, I don't see how you get off calling someone a "wannabe" when they can at least pass the power test. First thing you must do is recognize that nothing is owed to you and everything you do MUST be earned. Good luck.
                  It is "unfair".. look at it this way.

The 60 year old man that gets in the academy can walk the mile and a half and still be a few minutes early on his time.

The 21 year old has to run the entire mile and a half to get his time.

The 60 year old and the 21 year old will be fighting off the SAME criminals.

Why is do they make it easier for the 60 year old to pass the test then it is for the 21 year old?

Most departments in other states have a set of physical standards, and it doesn't matter if you're a female, or an elder, you have to pass the test with the same standards as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
                    It is "unfair".. look at it this way.

The 60 year old man that gets in the academy can walk the mile and a half and still be a few minutes early on his time.

The 21 year old has to run the entire mile and a half to get his time.

The 60 year old and the 21 year old will be fighting off the SAME criminals.

Why is do they make it easier for the 60 year old to pass the test then it is for the 21 year old?

Most departments in other states have a set of physical standards, and it doesn't matter if you're a female, or an elder, you have to pass the test with the same standards as everyone else.
                    Most PD's in IL have a cut off age but this isn't about the fairness of the test it's about someone who's upset he couldn't pass it.
                    Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                    Me: you really want an answer to that
                    Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

Well think of this....at least that 60 y/o guy was able to pass a p.o.w.e.r test regardless of his age or the relax standards for someone his age, HE STILL PASSED IT! Quit your complaining and get on a freaking treadmill! This line of work is not for the complainers.

Comment

U need to stop eating donuts. j/k

U need to stop crying, and keep trying.

work out, and do what u have to do.

and stop eating donuts.

Come on, the power test is there for a reason, and it is not that hard.
                        “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

i do love crispy creams. delight, delicious, mouth watering, oooh
                          “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NARC01 View Post
                            Well think of this....at least that 60 y/o guy was able to pass a p.o.w.e.r test regardless of his age or the relax standards for someone his age, HE STILL PASSED IT! Quit your complaining and get on a freaking treadmill! This line of work is not for the complainers.
                            I wasn't trying to complain by any means. I guess I can understand why some would think that. But I have seen complainers everywhere on here. Just like you are complaining about my opinion.

I understand that the power test is not going to change because I could not pass it at that time, or no matter how unfair a lot of people think it is. But it is an opinion. We all have them. My main question was about the being barred. THAT IS STUPID IF IT’S TRUE. Do you want to rip on that opinion too??

AGAIN I UNDERSTAND THAT THE POWER TEST HAS TO BE PASSED AND IT DOES NO GOOD TO COMPLAIN, I WILL GET IT PASSED. It was my first time I wasn’t prepared. IT WAS MY OWN FAULT, I get that.

I just wanted to know if anybody knew if the banning was true

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                              I think you are mis-understanding the statute (or perhaps I am). But, you can fail the POWER test and STILL become a part-time officer down the road...assuming of course you pass the POWER test the next time.

HOWEVER, Once you're in the academy....YOU'RE IN! Meaning, you cannot drop out, for example, and re-enroll later on. Again, once you're in you have to graduate!!

This is/was meant to prevent people from 'department hopping'
                              thank you topped out, i could be mis understading it. I sent an email to the part time director, hopefully get some insight on it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4816 users online. 268 members and 4548 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X