300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inout6yrs View Post
    Did you sign up for this job HOPING residency would just go away? Guess what, it isn't. MY great city of Chicago (and I say MY because you probably were a suburban snob, Officer J, who called MY CITY home from your cul-de-sac house) will never turn into the next Detriot. BOTH of my parents have residency requirements and wouldn't have raised me or my siblings anywhere else in the world. If you were proud of your job, proud of this city, than you wouldn't be crying over residency. You need to sack up and raise your kids where they can ride their bikes to the park, walk home from school, and not worry that the sidewalk ends at the end of their fake community.

As for your wannabe comment, you're the wannabe. You wish you were born and raised in this amazing city that pays for everything you give to that family of your's.
    I was born and raised in chicago,i left a couple of years ago,it has alot of good people and a really good police force and some other things that i like,but it has become a very expensive place to buy a home,especially for a single parent(like myself),there is no way i would pay over 200,000$ for a home and i look out my window and see little pookey smoking a blunt and giving me attitude because i don't like it,so there is nothing wrong with wanting to raise your kids in a better place if you could.The cost of living,crime and political corruption has driven me away from chicago,and as far as helping out chicago economically a reason for a residency requirement is a bunch bullsh**t to me,because when has Daley and his cronies done anything to financially help out the chicago residents,all the city seems to do is extort as much money out of its residents as it can,and yes i'am proud that i was born and raised in chicago,i'am just sad at what it has become,and i made the choice to want something better for my kids.

Comment

Tragically some things are like beating a dead horse. But to add on to what my friend ChiTownDet said...Hoping the City will overturn its residency requirment is pure fantasy. When you apply, you agree that you will reside in the City. Period. The argument that you did it under duress or anthing else will not fly, never has and never will. The residency requirement is not hidden in the fine print. It is clearly stated before you even turn in an application. If Chciago is where you want to be a cop then understand that no amount of dreaming,, whining or comparing legal precedent in other cities will, or ever has, made a difference. The reasons why there is a residency requirement dont really matter. The fact is that there is a residency requirement and the City is determined to enforce it. A young single cop with no kids really doesnt care that he has to live in the city. When he starts a family... I understand that changes. That is one of the reasons I left. IF you want to be a cop in Chicago know what it is you have to do. Dont try and split hairs and try to define what an "actual resident is". You will only end up looking like Bill Clinton saying " that depends on what your definition of is actually is". I have always said that Chicago is a great place to be a cop, but it is a crappy place to raise a family, for exactly the same reason why it is a good place to be a cop. The residency requirement is not going to change, accept it or apply elsewhere.
      You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
        What planet is this located on?

Actually it's called the suburbs.

http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...nt=1110#Detail

http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...nt=1110#Detail

as opposed to

http://www.realtor.com/search/listin...cnt=174#Detail

Comment

You're comparing Plainfield to Mt. Greenwood. Mt. Greenwood is a much better area than the majority of Plainfield. I am not necessarily referring to homes, but the quality of people that reside there. Plus you would most likely commute to the city to work anyway. Can you tell me where else you will find a three flat for 20,000? Exactly, Austin has wonderful real estate opportunities (sarcastic). A suburb you would have to compare to Mt. Greenwood would be more along the lines of Evergreen Park (the good part) or Oak Lawn. Plainfield is more like Bridgeport (pre-yuppieville). IMO.

Comment

Actually these houses are in Joliet, not Plainfield, just have Plainfield zip code. My brother lives there. Plainfield doesn't start until north of Caton Farm. If I was allowed to live out, I'd pass on a frame house in Joliet, 5-6K in taxes a year, $200+ a month for water in the summer months, couldn't send your kids to Joliet Twsp HS and my Police protection all running around on the "Hill." Look for houses that are actually in Plainfield and I bet you couldn't get a condo for 140K..

Couldn't find a house for under 200-250K to start in Oak Lawn and maybe about 225K in EP. Homer Glen....300-350K and about 7K in taxes...
            Last edited by ChiTownDet; 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM.

Comment

The public schools in Plainfield are very good. The homes I linked aren't part of the old Joliet. It's in a newer area along caton farm rd. For $150,000 cheaper is my point though. I'm not debating about the quality of people. Although if you go a little east of mount greenwood the demographics change if you know what I mean. Average income families can afford $150,000 homes quite easily. Also the commute isn't bad, Plainfield is located near 55 and 80.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsSox View Post
                Also the commute isn't bad, Plainfield is located near 55 and 80.
                55 is horrible during rush hour! They seriously need to expand it. 80 is getting bad since they expanded 355 to it. There is a lot of new traffic on 80 now.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsSox View Post
                  The public schools in Plainfield are very good. The homes I linked aren't part of the old Joliet. It's in a newer area along caton farm rd. For $150,000 cheaper is my point though. I'm not debating about the quality of people. Although if you go a little east of mount greenwood the demographics change if you know what I mean. Average income families can afford $150,000 homes quite easily. Also the commute isn't bad, Plainfield is located near 55 and 80.
                  When you purchase a residence you are not only purchasing the domicile but the neighborhood, convenience, socio and economic demographics, and investing in the areas/real estates growth. Plainfield is a decent area, but many homes out there are being foreclosed due to the inability of the residents to keep up with payments. We all know what happens when homes are being sold for even less than 140,000 (slum lords, up and coming mutants, etc). Joliet is also not a great place to raise a family, don't need to go in depth with that. If you want to argue simple prices then Chicago is the cheapest, unless you go around Harvey, Robbins, etc. You can buy a house for 50,000 down there. When factoring price you have to factor everything else. The schools in Mt. Greenwood are also fantastic (from my understanding) and the people would be a better influence for your children.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    What planet is this located on?
                    Actually, you could probably buy a big ranch (1800+sf) in Winnebago or Boone county for $140,000. Sure, it ain't Chicago (or even a big city)...but it's there.

The residency requirement, economically, does create an artificial price elevation in the middle income housing. A fixed supply with a required demand will cause elevated prices. The city benefits because the "value" for property taxes remains higher. If city workers were allowed to live where they want, the cost of these houses would likely drop until the price encouraged city workers to live in the city voluntarily.

So, if a house in Boone county cost $140,000 and same house in Chicago was $240,000, you'd have a drop in the Chicago house until the inherent cost of commuting offset the lower house price in Boone. I'd guess that would drive the Chicago house down 40-50K and the Boone house up 10K or so.

Residency requirements are pure economics, folks. However, I agree with a few others: if the rule is there when you sign on, don't complain about the rule.
                    Last edited by firemanjb; 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM.
                    My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                      You should be lucky to have a career with such good benefits and decent pay, a lot of Americans are struggling.
                      Amen to that!

I'm thankful every day that I get paid to do a job that I love.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8798 users online. 471 members and 8327 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X