300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Traffic Quotas

Does anybody have any information on traffic quotas? Does Illinois allow departments to have such a thing? We are having a little "issue" in my pd, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a source that could provide a solid yes or no answer.

A Lt in my pd decided to put requirements on only his shift that goes something like this:

"You will have at least three (3) traffic stops per day that will result in written warnings or citations...." The problem is, the chief has not offically approved this, and there is some form of punishment if the requirments are not met (to/from). He is named traffic only, as the requirment...not contacts or activity, but traffic stops. Any help would be great...thanks in advanced.

Originally posted by Jiggets View Post
    Does anybody have any information on traffic quotas? Does Illinois allow departments to have such a thing? We are having a little "issue" in my pd, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a source that could provide a solid yes or no answer.

A Lt in my pd decided to put requirements on only his shift that goes something like this:

"You will have at least three (3) traffic stops per day that will result in written warnings or citations...." The problem is, the chief has not offically approved this, and there is some form of punishment if the requirments are not met (to/from). He is named traffic only, as the requirment...not contacts or activity, but traffic stops. Any help would be great...thanks in advanced.
    WOW...sounds like a fun place to work.

My department has a point system to track activity. Traffic stops, citations, calls for service, community policing activities, directed patrol etc. Each activity is worth x amount of points and you must be around y points for the month. You could conceivably (and many do) surpass the "performance standard" without writing a single Y ticket. Hopefully someone with some union negotiation experience will chime in. I know the 20 citations a month standard was dropped in favor of the current system as part of the bargaining at the last contract.
    Last edited by Southside; 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Find an officer from Stone Park I think they have a 100 moving citation a day quota to meet- JOKING
      Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
      Me: you really want an answer to that
      Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

Also check with Plainfield Police. My son was pulled over by an obviously un-educated officer who decided to pull him over for excessively bright tailights. Too bad they were stock tail-lights with NO modifications and even if they were, there is nothing as far as an IVC violation for that. Yes, I am a cop and there was no justification for the officer to pull him over other to get his "stats" and see if a ***thead was in the car. Plainfield needs to get re-educated in the IVC if they intend to NOT get sued for pulling a car over for no P.C.

Comment

Forgot to add that maybe the tail lights seemed too bright because the officer just woke up!

Comment

i used to work in a dept. where the quotas were not meet then vacation days got taken away-minimum of 20 movers in a month.

Comment

Not even Wisconsin Troopers have qoutas... well, they have to get 8 contacts per shift day...

I can't tell you about IL law, but in WI it is illegal to profit from arrest and thus the qouta system is banned. However many departments track citations and arrests as a matter of productivity and a shift standard is set from that and each officer is evaluated based upon the shift average. Some places take into account things like special assignment, FTO, etc. Some don't.

Hmmmmmmmmm, illegal to proft from arrest. So if I am receiving a satisfactory review which my employment and discipline is contigent upon am I not profiting by making arrests and citations thus forcing me into a violation of law, which would could possibly be felony misconduct in office because to committ a crime while on-duty could be misconduct in office. And, I wouldn't have to obey the performance standard rule, order or policy because it would contradict or conflict with law?

What this past union president can tell you is that sandpaper is sandpaper and it's all abrasive when you rub it against administration. Pick your battles.

Just a thought.

Comment

Your sure right about that woodtik25...Â* I can't find any statute online contaning Illinois law.Â* I have found some states ban them, but I'm not sure about Illinois.Â* My guess is probably not.Â* This Lt. is a real stroke and nobody really cares for him.. He just kinda sprung this up on us the other day and everybody was like.."WTF?" The best part about it....he goes on to say that this requirment does not apply to supervisors.Â* So he, along with the other sups. on his shift, get to sit back and twiddle their thumbs while we are out ****ing off the public.Â* Ticketing soccor moms dropping off kids at school for not signaling their turns. Being a former Marine (0311) he lost ALL respect from me.Â* Friggin lead by example.Â* Just hope this other PD I'm on the list for pans out.Â*

Comment

Your sure right about that woodtik25...�* I can't find any statute online contaning Illinois law.�* I have found some states ban them, but I'm not sure about Illinois.�* My guess is probably not.�* This Lt. is a real stroke and nobody really cares for him.. He just kinda sprung this up on us the other day and everybody was like.."WTF?" The best part about it....he goes on to say that this requirment does not apply to supervisors.�* So he, along with the other sups. on his shift, get to sit back and twiddle their thumbs while we are out ****ing off the public.�* Ticketing soccor moms dropping off kids at school for not signaling their turns. Being a former Marine (0311) he lost ALL respect from me.�* Friggin lead by example.�* Just hope this other PD I'm on the list for pans out.�*

Comment

oops..22 the last

Comment

I thought quotas were illegal?

What if everyone you see driving is not breaking the law? Do you stop the car anyway because you have a quota?(i understand that is BS)

I believe there is an unofficial quota systems out there. You have to pretend you done some work during your shift. If you work in a low crime area what else are you going to do?

Comment

If you have to break down and go with the flow until you find a solution, all you have to do is lay in wait for some soccer mom/dad in either a mini van or SUV. The way people drive nowadays you could have (3) traffic stops without even trying. I don't know where you're from, but there are plenty of thugs and wanna be thugs to stop as well. Usually they're too busy looking hard, leaning back, and vibrating their trunks to use turn signals. I know that's not what you want to do, especially since there are more serious crimes to be dealt with. Just $0.02 from someone who's tired of seeing people that drive like idiots get away while I'm followed doing the speed limit.

LPD61, I have to disagree with you on Plainfield PD. This could be someone new or a transfer, because usually I don't have a problem and they have enough people to ticket racing down Rte. 59. Maybe I ran into the same guy, because I got followed out of Plainfield one night recently after looking at an officer parked with his lights shining across the road, which blinded everyone that passed him. Usually they don't park in open areas and use the car dealerships to blend in.
                        Intolerant of ignorance, acting, and BS!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7230 users online. 384 members and 6846 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X