300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensed armed private security guards private detectives of duty carry

Licensed armed private security guards private detectives off duty carry will it get you a felony if you go pass your 1 hour ?

IDPR certfied private detectives who have passed their firearms training and have the appropriate registration documents are allowed 24-hour carry. IDPR firearm-licensed security officers are allowed carry on the job, and to and from work. They're not allowed to be armed while spending 2 hours sitting at the coffeehouse playing chess. They have to travel to work with reasonable alacrity. They don't have to leave their firearms in the car when they stop for fuel, but for any extended period not at work, their tan card permit doesn't provide for them to be armed.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
      IDPR certfied private detectives who have passed their firearms training and have the appropriate registration documents are allowed 24-hour carry.
      Do you have a source for that?

Comment

(5) Persons licensed as private security
        contractors, private detectives, or private alarm
        contractors, or employed by an agency certified by the
        Department of Professional Regulation, if their duties
        include the carrying of a weapon under the provisions of
        the Private Detective, Private Alarm, and Private
        Security Act of 1983, while actually engaged in the
        performance of the duties of their employment or
        commuting between their homes and places of employment,
        provided that such commuting is accomplished within one
        hour from departure from home or place of employment, as
        the case may be. Persons exempted under this subdivision
        (a)(5) shall be required to have completed a course of
        study in firearms handling and training approved and
        supervised by the Department of Professional Regulation
        as prescribed by Section 28 of the Private Detective,
        Private Alarm, and Private Security Act of 1983, prior to
        becoming eligible for this exemption. The Department of
        Professional Regulation shall provide suitable
        documentation demonstrating the successful completion of
        the prescribed firearms training. Such documentation
        shall be carried at all times when such persons are in
        possession of a concealable weapon.
        http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=093-0439

This was copied from the Illinois General Assembly website.

Rent a cops are only allowed to carry to and from work. But if their firearm is concealed who would know? Unless they shoot someone.

The city is a dangerous place you can't even sit in your car without worrying about being shot.

If a rent a cop(with proper credentials) is carrying a concealed firearm so what.
        Now if a rent a cop is carrying 2 guns Denzel Washington style(Training Day)
        that would be a problem.

Rent a Cop company's do not carry firearms for the safety of the client or citizens. They only have armed positions so they can charge $100.00 an hour instead of $50.00.
        Last edited by Jail Guard7160; 08-24-2008, 10:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add website link OK

Comment

Jail Guard7160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIlKtFEmWeQ

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
            x2???

Edmond, we already have talked about this in the past. And now these two are working for a department carrying the department credentials and carrying concealed makes me very concerned. A note, we are not allowed to carry off duty.
            "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Originally posted by guffyone View Post
              I wonder if he meant to have his guns safety's on? Also after watching that scene i want to go out and buy a spyder co knife

Comment

LockednLoaded and I have had this discussion before.

There are folks out there with tan cards, private detectives at that, who believe they on "on duty" or "on call" 24/7 and can therefore carry 24/7. But that's not the case. I think it's just someone trying to bend the words of the law to their advantage.

If someone really wants to carry a gun that much, get a job as a cop or move to a state that has CC. But there's a problem with that because people who have that mentality would, hopefully, never get onto a dept. And moving to a state that has CC wouldn't be fun because everyone could get them too.

If a rent a cop(with proper credentials) is carrying a concealed firearm so what.
                Because many, probably even most, of those doing that are dangerously underqualified to be carrying a firearm. Oh, and because it's against the law. Like it or not, it's still the law. If we don't like it, let's try to get it changed.

I worked with so many people who thought that a gun would solve all their defensive problems that they never even considered "alternatives." I put alternatives in "" because using a gun for defense should be the last alternative.

And then there were the bozos, most of those I met were private detectives and private investigators, who carried a gun and badge around to:

impress girls
                get discounts on food
                get into clubs/bars for free
                get out of traffic tickets
                intimidate people

Comment

I know people that work in chemical plants and nuclear plants that are armed and make the same salary as CPD. It is a good stepping stone, but they know that they are not cops and only get to carry on site and the guns stay locked up in safes.
                  “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

Are you serious?

Armed guards who are not the police make about $17/hr tops. The last time I checked CPD STARTS at apprx. $22/hr & between 6-12 months I believe it's apprx. $28/hr which is more than I make & I'm already REAL close to top base pay where I'm at. CPD makes great money & there are no guards {non-police} making anywhere CLOSE to their salary because that would be totally ridiculous.

Comment

my mistake, the cats i know make 18.50 that includes mainteance for uniforms and such, but they get OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Future Shield View Post
                        my mistake, the cats i know make 18.50 that includes mainteance for uniforms and such, but they get OT.
                        That's pretty good pay.

But back to the original topic: I remember a co-worker of mine at my PT job. She has a BF who works security at a grocery store. She said he carries his gun around all the time "because he has a letter from his boss that says he can. He takes it everywhere with him."

It's people like that who ruin the respect people once had.

I'm surprised that people don't get caught for it more. Place I used to work at, had one idiot who didn't even have a tan card carrying. He had to fill out some papers at a PD and carried the gun in there with him! Yes, he was arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                          Yes. It's the same as that provided by Jail Guard7160, but I'll provide some different commentary.
                          (720 ILCS 5/24-2) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-2)
                          Sec. 24-2. Exemptions.
                          (a) Subsections 24-1(a)(3), 24-1(a)(4) and 24-1(a)(10)
                          and Section 24-1.6 do not apply to or affect any of the
                          following:
                          (1) Peace officers, and any person summoned by a
                          peace officer to assist in making arrests or preserving
                          the peace, while actually engaged in assisting such
                          officer.
                          (2) Wardens, superintendents and keepers of
                          prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for
                          the detention of persons accused or convicted of an
                          offense, while in the performance of their official duty,
                          or while commuting between their homes and places of
                          employment.
                          (3) Members of the Armed Services or Reserve Forces
                          of the United States or the Illinois National Guard or
                          the Reserve Officers Training Corps, while in the
                          performance of their official duty.
                          (4) Special agents employed by a railroad or a
                          public utility to perform police functions, and guards of
                          armored car companies, while actually engaged in the
                          performance of the duties of their employment or
                          commuting between their homes and places of employment;
                          and watchmen while actually engaged in the performance of
                          the duties of their employment.
                          (5) Persons licensed as private security
                          contractors, private detectives, or private alarm
                          contractors, or employed by an agency certified by the
                          Department of Professional Regulation, if their duties
                          include the carrying of a weapon under the provisions of
                          the Private Detective, Private Alarm, and Private
                          Security Act of 1983, while actually engaged in the
                          performance of the duties of their employment
                          or
                          commuting between their homes and places of employment,
                          provided that such commuting is accomplished within one
                          hour
                          from departure from home or place of employment, as
                          the case may be. Persons exempted under this subdivision
                          (a)(5) shall be required to have completed a course of
                          study in firearms handling and training approved and
                          supervised by the Department of Professional Regulation
                          as prescribed by Section 28 of the Private Detective,
                          Private Alarm, and Private Security Act of 1983, prior to
                          becoming eligible for this exemption. The Department of
                          Professional Regulation shall provide suitable
                          documentation demonstrating the successful completion of
                          the prescribed firearms training. Such documentation
                          shall be carried at all times when such persons are in
                          possession of a concealable weapon.
                          (emphasis added)

The one-hour restriction is typically construed as normative and approximate. For example, if an armed security guard gets a flat tire and is a half hour late to work, he's not thereby guilty of a firearms violation.

As for private detectives, they don't necessarily have specific hours, and therefore can be on the job at any time, naturally including when they're working as bodyguards. "I was driving around thinking about the case." "I had a feeling something might be less than entirely safe for my client right now, so I was checking some things." "Don't worry, now that you've stopped and questioned me, I'll definitely be billing my client for this time, so yeah, I was at work." The practical effect of this is that PDs can carry all the time.
                          Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

loop holes, a guy i know is armed 24/7 because his a supervisor for security company and he says that he has a letter from the company that gives him authority to be armed all day. Its pretty pointless because you are not the police and you cant arrest people. Its sad.

Comment

No it isn't pointless. If a civilian onviews a crime he can make an arrest, although his use of force options are differently circumscribed than are those of the police. Other than that, the main difference in civilian arrests is the the PO only has to have PC to be exempt from blame, whereas the civilian has to be right, at least preponderantly provably, or might suffer possibly serious legal consequences.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5927 users online. 317 members and 5610 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X