300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs in Chicago

So, Daley wants to start laying off people in the city. Up to 1,000 city workers - including police and fire, he says, according to article:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...cuts16.article

and 1,800 projected here:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...aley15.article

Do you think the fat will be cut at the top of the food chain, with the highest paid employees? Or will they start at the bottom of the totem pole with rookies who have the least seniority?

It's sad that we live in an economy now where our most important of public servants are being laid off. Historically, during economical downturns, crime goes up and the need for police excalates. If the City is short on police now, I can just imagine what will happen if Daley gets his way.
    What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

It's all smoke and mirrors... so he can tax Chicago residents even more.

Comment

The suburbs sure are great.

Comment

$20,000 buy outs for non union workers?! woohoo!!!!
        Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Crime rates are up in the city and they want to layoff police? I'm sure the Olympic committee would be thrilled to hear that. If is a matter of time before Dick lands his butt in jail.

The same thing was suppose to happen at county. They did not layoff any officers though they just moved them around. Now we have all the overtime we can get. You can easily make 10k more a year. Now i can buy that 50in LCD and PS3. Thanks Todd for the 10.25% tax's in Crook County. Free money woo hoo
          Last edited by Jail Guard7160; 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM. Reason: Lost my train of thought and forgot to write something is that ok with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jail Guard7160 View Post
            Crime rates are up in the city and they want to layoff police? I'm sure the Olympic committee would be thrilled to hear that. If is a matter of time before Dick lands his butt in jail.

The same thing was suppose to happen at county. They did not layoff any officers though they just moved them around. Now we have all the overtime we can get. You can easily make 10k more a year. Now i can buy that 50in LCD and PS3. Thanks Todd for the 10.25% tax's in Crook County. Free money woo hoo
            You can make a lot more than an extra 10% in OT with the CCSO.

Comment

Am associate of mine was with the county in the courts for ten years and they laid him off, with many others. He was offered his job back but decided to just leave it. Did anyone else hear about his? I don't know how long ago it was, could've been years ago could've been recent. This is from his mouth, I'm not saying it's fact. If I ever get the chance to ask him to elaborate I will.

Comment

Originally posted by Jail Guard7160 View Post

Thats great but why a PS3.. Xbox 360 is the way.. Be safe fellow officers.

Comment

Originally posted by copchick11 View Post
                  Do you think the fat will be cut at the top of the food chain, with the highest paid employees? Or will they start at the bottom of the totem pole with rookies who have the least seniority?
                  Of course the people with the least seniority would be the first to be laid off, as it should be. The ones that have been working the longest amount of time should not have to worry about being laid off. Our contract says that all civilian Police Dept. emplyees have to be laid off before sworn are. Now if the city wants to max out my pension for me on their dime, I'd be happy to retire...

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                    Am associate of mine was with the county in the courts for ten years and they laid him off, with many others. He was offered his job back but decided to just leave it. Did anyone else hear about his? I don't know how long ago it was, could've been years ago could've been recent. This is from his mouth, I'm not saying it's fact. If I ever get the chance to ask him to elaborate I will.

Was he a Deputy? I never heard about any Deputy's getting laid off. Last year they threatened us with lay offs do to a lack of money. Buy miraculously they found the money. Also they raised the sales tax. 10.25% sales tax secures my job.

Comment

how the %@#& is daley still in office after all these years?

Comment

I believe he was a deputy, he processed inmates (or something of the sort) at the court house.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                          Of course the people with the least seniority would be the first to be laid off, as it should be. The ones that have been working the longest amount of time should not have to worry about being laid off. Our contract says that all civilian Police Dept. emplyees have to be laid off before sworn are. Now if the city wants to max out my pension for me on their dime, I'd be happy to retire...
                          Yeah, I read that they will attack the civilians first, but only cut as needed, and then move on to sworn, or so I interpreted. If this is a budget thing, I would think they'd start with the most expensive employees first. Then they can move the cheaper labor up a notch, hire more entry level cops, and still be on target with budget (or sort of!). They talk about that process - the "doing it non-politically" process - in this article I read today:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...-fed19.article
                          What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

Comment

Originally posted by copchick11 View Post
                            Yeah, I read that they will attack the civilians first, but only cut as needed, and then move on to sworn, or so I interpreted. If this is a budget thing, I would think they'd start with the most expensive employees first. Then they can move the cheaper labor up a notch, hire more entry level cops, and still be on target with budget (or sort of!). They talk about that process - the "doing it non-politically" process - in this article I read today:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...-fed19.article
                            Ummm, good idea, but we do have a contract and layoffs are addressed in it. All civilians first and then reverse seniority.

Comment

' dick' daley

I owe $20 parking ticket from 1982, know how govt works
                              will ' DICK' DALEY send the s.w.a.t. down to fla to vacation, party,
                              and put a boot on me and extredite back to the ' bridewell' ????...
                              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8504 users online. 368 members and 8136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X