Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I do not suggest nor endorse the concept that anyone is above the law or be given immunity from arrest, nor do I have an axe to grind, because I personally have not been issued a traffic ticket. However, in the patrol function of police work there are many times and situations that a traffic violator is allowed to continue on without receiving a traffic citation. This is called “common sense and officer discretion”.

I find it troublesome that this courtesy is declining when it comes to an off-duty police officer that has been stopped for a traffic violation and is being replaced with a “you should have known better” attitude and a ticket is issued

LET’S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. All we have is each other and members of the community that support us that is only a hand full.

I personally know one traffic unit officer that would write his own mom

Comment

you guys are nuts... can't you detect even a little sarcasm? Of course I'm kidding when I say that I'd issue one because I've already stopped someone...

But my other comments stand. I'm not sure why doing the job would give you a free pass to speed, turn left at a no left turn sign, etc...

Of course every situation has it's reasoning... All I'm saying is that I would give no special consideration. I would write or not write based on the same justifications that would give another driver. But there is no free pass... Because, really... where does it end? A drunk driving? A drug deal? A murder? Sound extreme, but if you examine the past, you'll see alot of that stuff going on... and it's not right.

As for the comment about doing the job for a bit before I can say where my moral compass points. You are obviously not a military person and have no sense of right and wrong. You are a part of what is wrong with the CPD and why people don't trust the police... You should be an example for the people in all ways... not just by not robbing people, not spraying graffiti or doing a drive by... but by being a good person who obeys the laws that all can look up too and emulate.

Thanks for being a dick.

If you work for Chicago do the city a favor. Quit.
      Last edited by Chicago_mwk; 08-20-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Keep that mentality in mind when someone is rolling your *** on the side of the road and an off duty cop stops to help. Make sure you write him for no front plate or defective windshield when you’re done. I give off duty cops a slide on traffic violations because they are the ones who WILL stop to help ur *** out in a bind. Military, firefighter, doctors and nurses all should get the same treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago_mwk View Post
          you guys are nuts... can't you detect even a little sarcasm? Of course I'm kidding when I say that I'd issue one because I've already stopped someone...

But my other comments stand. I'm not sure why doing the job would give you a free pass to speed, turn left at a no left turn sign, etc...

Of course every situation has it's reasoning... All I'm saying is that I would give no special consideration. I would write or not write based on the same justifications that would give another driver. But there is no free pass... Because, really... where does it end? A drunk driving? A drug deal? A murder? Sound extreme, but if you examine the past, you'll see alot of that stuff going on... and it's not right.

As for the comment about doing the job for a bit before I can say where my moral compass points. You are obviously not a military person and have no sense of right and wrong. You are a part of what is wrong with the CPD and why people don't trust the police... You should be an example for the people in all ways... not just by not robbing people, not spraying graffiti or doing a drive by... but by being a good person who obeys the laws that all can look up too and emulate.

Thanks for being a dick.

Your are a military man great !! I heard the Dr that conducts the psyc exams has flunked a lot of vets. But if you did pass, Iam sure you will find an old time fto that might toss your butt back into the wal-mart you came from, just know you have 18 months that you may want to keep you mouth shut.
          Last edited by scotsmen; 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM.
          The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.

Comment

110 percent with (not in wi) Its like writing your mom who was there to help when you were a kid and some big kid was picking a fight with you you just would to be nuts to write her after that many years of supprot. Because you would be out there in the wild by yourself and then that big kid would get his goods.

Comment

I have worked with a few fresh Military people and two older ones had respect and common sense but the young meat had zero common sense not sure why only one young guy had it and thanked him for having it.

Comment

Originally posted by not in wi View Post
                Military, firefighter, doctors and nurses all should get the same treatment.
                What about lawyers or used car salesmen?

Comment

Originally posted by not in wi View Post
                  Keep that mentality in mind when someone is rolling your *** on the side of the road and an off duty cop stops to help. Make sure you write him for no front plate or defective windshield when you’re done. I give off duty cops a slide on traffic violations because they are the ones who WILL stop to help ur *** out in a bind. Military, firefighter, doctors and nurses all should get the same treatment.
                  +1

Comment

I can careless what kind of plates people have.....having police/fire plates does not sway my opinion one way or the other...

The only people who get a free pass 100 percent of the time are POLICE...

99 percent of the time fire/paramedics doctors/nurses get passes

Comment

Your "applicant" opinion carries about as much weight as fly poop. You are applying to one of the most hardcore agencies in the country and your rhetoric sounds like a lecture in a criminal justice college course. You haven't earned the right to comment on issues for which you have NO clue whatsoever. We look out for each other in this job, son, because nobody else, but your mother and wife...if she hasn't divorced you by your 5th year on the job, give 2 s***'s about you.

Comment

Originally posted by OfcrJ View Post
                        Your "applicant" opinion carries about as much weight as fly poop. You are applying to one of the most hardcore agencies in the country and your rhetoric sounds like a lecture in a criminal justice college course. You haven't earned the right to comment on issues for which you have NO clue whatsoever. We look out for each other in this job, son, because nobody else, but your mother and wife...if she hasn't divorced you by your 5th year on the job, give 2 s***'s about you.
                        +1

It amazes me how it's always the people who haven't done an ounce of police work in their lives that have the most to say about how it should be done.

Comment

Thanks for being a dick.

You need a large helping of humbleness.

Comment

i thought police watched each others back. If i become a cop, i would use my discretion, as to the situation, but i would take their position into consideration.
                            A cop is a cop, and he stands for justice, so give him a break. Now Felonies are another beast?
                            “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

I'm not from Illinois so hopefully yall can forgive me for posting in your section, but I am a sworn officer so Chicago Mwk listen up. If you are in the application process do everyone a favor and quit. No department needs someone like you working for it. You obviously wouldn't have your brothers back if the SHTF. I've stopped plenty of cops for civil traffic crap, as soon as the badge and creds come out they get a handshake, be safe and they are on their marry way.

And like someone else said, good luck standing in court with other officers in the room telling a judge why you wrote another officer for driving 10 over the speed limit. Want to see how fast you're alone out there on the street...try it. If you do get hired, it sounds like you're on the great career path to Internal Affairs. Good luck.....I'm goin back to my state's area now. Be safe all Illinois brothers and sisters.
                              Caught in the action of kill or be killed, greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his brother.

RIP brother and sister officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9318 users online. 479 members and 8839 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X