Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby boomers retiring? Shortage in cops? Where?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baby boomers retiring? Shortage in cops? Where?

    According to an article I read today in the Sun-Times, "about 60 million Americans will turn 65 in the next 15 years...". Another article I read (http://www.governing.com/articles/10gmillerb.htm) said that there is a nationwide shortage of entry level police officers. Are you kidding me? I find that hard to believe, because there's about 300 times more applicants than there are positions available. Where are these numbers coming from? Anybody got any stats to share?

    From my experience with the testing and hiring process, there's about zero to maybe one opening for every department that's testing in the Chicagoland area, (excluding the major metro depts). Where's all this attrition they keep writing about? Not that I want people to retire, but if they are retiring and there is a "shortage," I sure don't see it!
    What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

    The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

  • #2
    Well for starters the article is "nationwide." That probably means the figures are aggregated to reflect current and upcoming needs across the nation. Plus if you factor in if 3-5 officers are retiring per department within the next 5 years times the hundreds of agencies, that's going to add up to a huge number. Agencies like CPD are understaffed, the ISP will have a large number of officers retiring in a few years and cities across the nation that are expanding in population which will play into those figures. Also, just because departments are understaffed doesn't mean the cities will approve the hiring of more officers (Chicago for example). Check out Arizona, cities like Mesa hired almost 400 officers a few years ago. Maybe your chances of getting hired will increase if you make your way out there.

    Comment


    • #3
      I second outshined. This is not a rip on applicants saying that they are all poor, the reality is that we get far more interest from people who should never be placed in a position of authority than we get from people who should actually be hired. Our test to hire success rate is about 5%. That doesn't mean that of the other 95% that don't get hired are worthless applicants. In fact I was once one of the other 95% when I didn't get hired my first time, but was fortunate enough to get selected on my 2nd go at it.

      Steve

      Comment


      • #4
        Az and Nevada are booming, go there. I kind of wish I still would have the balls to get up and leave for nicer weather.

        Comment


        • #5
          California has a huge shortage as well. Great benefits and many departments work a compressed schedule of 3/12 or 4/10's. You can retire with up to 90% of your salary out there. Not to mention you cant beat the weather! Cost of living is high, but since the real estate market has tanked, prices have come down quite a bit.

          Comment


          • #6
            oct 1st i can hit the road ' RETIRED' WITH 25 YRS = 75 %

            then with 3 active yr's railroading, put in another 2 yrs to lock in a

            pension when i hit 60.....
            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by alaskariverguy View Post
              I second outshined. This is not a rip on applicants saying that they are all poor, the reality is that we get far more interest from people who should never be placed in a position of authority than we get from people who should actually be hired. Our test to hire success rate is about 5%. That doesn't mean that of the other 95% that don't get hired are worthless applicants. In fact I was once one of the other 95% when I didn't get hired my first time, but was fortunate enough to get selected on my 2nd go at it.

              Steve
              I think the issue isn't that the kind of people aren't out there. I think the issue is that PD's not only have to compete amongst themselves for those applicants, but also against private businesses that often times pay much more.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


              BOP - BPA - ICE

              Comment


              • #8
                I've read that CA is short and my immediate family has told me to consider the LA area as my extended family is out there. But I just can't deal with all the restrictions on everything with living in CA. I would live in NY before CA.

                I've thought about Texas. But I won't apply anywhere else until my naturalization papers come in since depts. are giving me a hard time about my citizenship even though I have a US passport to prove citizenship.

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 9976 users online. 479 members and 9497 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X