• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Detective Robert Soto - Chicago Police

Police Detective Dies A Day After Being Shot

Robert Soto, Female Companion Were Attacked On West Side

Aug 14, 2008 5:18 am US/Central

CHICAGO (CBS) ― A Chicago Police dectective has died the day after he was shot while off duty and sitting on his personal vehicle on the city's West Side.

As CBS 2's Joanie Lum reports, Robert Soto, 49, a detective with the police Bomb and Arson Section, was pronounced dead at 3:05 a.m. Thursday morning at Mt. Sinai Hospital.

A woman in the car with him, Kathryn Romberg, 45, died on the scene when they were both shot around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. She was found on the passenger side of Soto's personal sport-utility vehicle at 3044 W. Franklin Blvd. in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, near her home.

Soto leaned on the horn and yelled for help after being wounded. Police said he was able to describe a dark vehicle and three offenders in what is being investigated as an armed robbery.

Detectives were checking video from city and private cameras in hopes of getting a glimpse of the offenders or a dark-colored vehicle seen on the block, a source close to the investigation said. They were also checking into a report of an armed robbery two weeks ago in the 3100 block of West Franklin Boulevard as well as reports on other robbery crews known to work in the area.

In the Southwest Side's Garfield Ridge neighborhood near Midway International Airport, where Soto lived with his wife and family, residents say he was an ideal neighbor.

Neighbor Carol Moshos said, "He helped a lot of elderly people on the block. Anybody that needed help, he was always there. He always stopped to talk to you. A five minute chat could take two hours."

Neighbor Laurie Kocanda said, "That laugh was so hearty, I had to laugh, too. And I didn't know what he was laughing at."

Neighbors said Sota was married, had at least two children, as well as a brother who lives with him. Romberg was possibly related to Soto, but their exact relationship has not been learned.

Romberg had been an employee of the Department of Children and Family Services for 13 years, and worked as the supervisor for the Division of Child Protection, according to the agency. She also worked as the Wicker Park and Bucktown realtor for Falcon Living, according to neighbors.

CBS 2's Joanie Lum and the STNG Wire contributed to this report.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

link

RIP Detective Soto

RIP and the best to his family and loved ones.

Comment

RIP Det. Soto. It's unbelieveable the warzone that Chicago has become. And all King Daley can think about is his precious Olympics.

Comment

RIP. Lots of lives and families are forever broken b/c of these ruthless criminals looking for a few extra free bucks instead of going out there and earning it themselves. Makes my blood curdle.

Comment

Rest in peace. Your service will not be forgotten.

Comment

I was listening to the scanner when the call came out of a person shot on Franklin. Such a shame.

A few details that aren't in the above article, Robert Soto was a 23-year veteran of CPD. Also, they were initially looking for a red or maroon 4-door vehicle, I dunno how that ended up being changed to just a dark vehicle.

R.I.P. Robert Soto
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Our prayers are with the families of Det. Soto and Ms. Romberg.
              Rest in peace, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfan07 View Post
                RIP Det. Soto. It's unbelieveable the warzone that Chicago has become. And all King Daley can think about is his precious Olympics.

RIP Det. Soto. King Daley is also only thinking about his lil $400 million budget crisis...
                ~Delta

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12771 users online. 504 members and 12267 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X