300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psych Interview Attire

I've got my psych interview tomorrow. What is the proper attire for this portion?

I would assume the same attire that is proper for everything else except the physical...dress attire.

Comment

i dont understand why people ask the same types of question all the time, i.e what should i wear for my interview, what should i wear for my psych. i think all of us who know should stop helping them out, let them wear a jersey or jeans and a t-shirt. come on guys its a job interview, take some pride in it, wear a suit nothing less!!!! its not that big of a deal go get it dry cleaned and have it waiting in the closet. Dont you wear your blues when you have a SQ function? think of it as the same thing.
      Last edited by BravoRomeo; 08-12-2008, 03:41 PM. Reason: added AF

Comment

Funny... I was going to wear jeans and a t-shirt, but now I think I'll wear something a bit more conservative if you think it will help. I really hope that a suit is not needed, as I don't have one.

Anyway... People keep asking this stuff because it's relevent to getting the job. Just because it's an interview doesn't immediatly mean you have to wear a suit. What if the boss of the company you're applying to wears t-shirts and jeans with holes in them... Then you'd probably not get the job because he wont feel like you'd fit in at the company. I don't recall any of the police officers at the many tests we've been to wearing anything close to a suit, and in fact the applicants that did looked very out of place.

I guess I should just call the place and ask them... I'll post what their response is.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago_mwk View Post
          Funny... I was going to wear jeans and a t-shirt, but now I think I'll wear something a bit more conservative if you think it will help. I really hope that a suit is not needed, as I don't have one.

Anyway... People keep asking this stuff because it's relevent to getting the job. Just because it's an interview doesn't immediatly mean you have to wear a suit. What if the boss of the company you're applying to wears t-shirts and jeans with holes in them... Then you'd probably not get the job because he wont feel like you'd fit in at the company. I don't recall any of the police officers at the many tests we've been to wearing anything close to a suit, and in fact the applicants that did looked very out of place.

I guess I should just call the place and ask them... I'll post what their response is.
          Trust me...wear a suit or whatever you have (shirt/tie/slacks). If you look out of place..that is a benefit to you. It means everyone else is dressed wrong. When I took the written and other stuff, there are always people who look like they just woke up and then people on the other end of the spectrum who are dressed to the nines. Who do you think they are going to be impressed by? You will appear prepared and seem like you actually want the job, as opposed to some kid who just showed up after basketball practice because he had nothing better to do. Every part of the phase is an interview, even the psych exam. Dress for it.

Comment

U don't need to wear a suit, dress nicely but a suit isn't necessary. The Dr u meet with will be dressed casually. Wear a polo and khakis and a decent pair of shoes and you'll be fine. This is going to be a 15-20 min meeting, dont go out and spend 400 bucks on a suit for this if you dont have one...but you will need a suit for the first week at the academy so get one or 2 sooner or later. The Dr. I met with a couple years ago was wearing jeans, sweater and a backwards Irish cap.

Comment

Thanks for tips! After spending so much time in the military it's kinda hard to get back into having to decide what to wear. I did end up going out to Marshalls and picking up some slacks and a nice button down. I'm sure that I'll be looking sharp.

Comment

You don't need one for the Chicago psych, but you need one for the ones out in the burbs. (or jacket and tie.)

Comment

Wear what you would wear to testify in Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                    Wear what you would wear to testify in Court.
                    As a plaintiff or defendant...
                    Have you seen what some of the defendants wear to court in Cook county?

Comment

I was specifically told to wear a suit for my psych interview. Even if I wasn't I'd still wear one. As mentioned before, an interview is an interview...and using an example of a boss wearing a t-shirt and jeans is stretching it quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
                        U don't need to wear a suit, dress nicely but a suit isn't necessary. The Dr u meet with will be dressed casually. Wear a polo and khakis and a decent pair of shoes and you'll be fine. This is going to be a 15-20 min meeting, dont go out and spend 400 bucks on a suit for this if you dont have one...but you will need a suit for the first week at the academy so get one or 2 sooner or later. The Dr. I met with a couple years ago was wearing jeans, sweater and a backwards Irish cap.
                        AGREED

Comment

You are applying for a highly competitive job. Why would you not want to put on your best look at all times? You are being evaluated during every phase of the process.
                          I've sat on a lot of interview panels over the years for both my agency and for other agencies. If it comes down to picking 1 person and 3 people are all equally qualified who do you think is going to get picked - the guy who showed up for an interview in dockers and a polo shirt or the guy who always looked sharp and presented a business appearance? If you don't know the answer to that question then you'll be one of the 2 that didn't get picked.
                          I've seen guys show up for phases not wearing suits, not getting hired, and then whining because they didn't get selected, crying that the process was "rigged". The process wasn't rigged, they just didn't do everything possible to help themselves. They might have been good candidates but they didn't put their best foot forward. When you have a highly competitive field where you're competing against very well qualified candidates you have to do everything you can to put the points in your favor. Otherwise you'll end up being one of those who apply at a lot of different agencies but whining you can't figure out why others got hired and you didn't.
                          I don't care if you take my advice or not. I'm not the guy looking for a job. I'm just letting you know what it's like in the real working world after having sat on numerous hiring panels, interview boards, and part of the final selection process for several agencies.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

WEAR THE SUIT!!! When i Walked into the 1st test for CPD way back in the day of 06 when i was fresh out of active duty airforce i was the only one in my classroom to walk in with a suit on, and you know what the detective said, "wow, finally someone takes this serious, nice job kid" and if you keep comming up with excuses, maybe find a new career path. your gonna need a suit at some point in your life, its part of growing up. black suit just get one. and then your money and you will never have to try to figure out what to wear. being over dressed is better then under dressed, it shows you take pride " core Values" in your self and the job your going for.

Comment

DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT wear the fake arrow through the head, ala Steve Martin, nor show up with a couple pizzas "for the shrink and the broads in the office." Even our joint will bounce you....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8721 users online. 287 members and 8434 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X