300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Police Departments

I was recently considering moving to Hawaii when I graduate from college and have been looking at the various police departments on the islands I am interested in. I have looked at the Hawaii Police Department, Honolulu Police Department and Kauai Police Department. I have been to Oahu and Kauai many times but have not yet been to Hawaii. I was just wondering what the pros/cons of each island and department would be. Oahu and Hawaii would be my top of the 3. And, I was also wondering how I could afford living there. I've noticed that parts of Hawaii and Kauai are very affordable for island living but I also know that Oahu is outrageous with housing prices. I was wondering what cities or towns have affordable housing. I've noticed that areas around Hilo are incredibly affordable. I would like to hear what people who live there think about the areas.

Cost Of Living

I can only speak about Honolulu PD. The only way I survived living on Oahu was having good friends and relatives. My wife worked full time and I worked full time with the PD. I also had a part time job with the Air Guard. If you have kids, you will need friends and relatives for the unforeseen need for a baby sitter. I worked nights for the night diff and court OT during the day. I wasn't a special duty hound but I did work special duty prior to the holidays. The base pay is decent just as long as you live withing your means. Hope I help you with your question.

hi_to_lv

Comment

I plan on being about 25 or 26 when I possibly will move to Hawaii. I will have about 4 to 5 years of LE experience. I am currently 21 and am about to graduate with a sociology degree, so the kid thing wont really be a problem. I love Oahu but its so expensive I'm sure its tough on just a LE salary. Do you know if the island of Hawaii is really open to mainlanders working in LE and mainlanders living there in general?

Comment

I was also considering a move to Hilo area, I have the ability to transfer within my agency to there. I was wondering about how to live!!!!!! Housing etc. Any input would be appreciated!!!
        Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

I have never been there but I have been researching real estate in that area. The Hilo/Puna area seems to be the most affordable place to live in all of Hawaii as far as homes go. Look at Hawaiilife.com search for the Big Island. Puna has some great deals. Best I've seen in all of the state of Hawaii.

Comment

I'm sorry but as far as the big island goes I have no clue about housing. I do know that everything is either flown in or on shipped in, in turn cost of goods is that much higher than Oahu. The pay is the same on all the different islands and there is one union SHOPO. They have a web site. If and when you do make the move to Hawaii. Pls remember this the local people are not like people on the mainland. The old saying respect goes both ways. That is true in HI. You'll be amazed that the majority of the locals like the police. Its the ones that come in from the mainland that usually causes the problems. Another thing before I left HI, Meth (batu=ice) was a real big problem on the big island. I don't know if Hawaii Pd got control of the problem yet.

hi_to_lv

Comment

Does Hawaii have a state sheriff who has patrolling deputies or the sheriff's office just handles inmates?

Comment

Originally posted by Airlinerd View Post
                Does Hawaii have a state sheriff who has patrolling deputies or the sheriff's office just handles inmates?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_o...iff%27s_Office

Comment

Airlinerd,

The only deputied that do any patroling is the ones assigned to the HNL airport.

hi_to_lv

Comment

Originally posted by HI_to_LV View Post
                    Airlinerd,

The only deputied that do any patroling is the ones assigned to the HNL airport.

hi_to_lv
                    Errr....one would think that might be subjec to change because when I was out there working, the Honolulu Police Dept. use to run the Airport LE wise....but got booted out because they got too greedy.....and the Sheriff's Dept. underbid them......

So...if that goes away (which it could if HPD ever lowballs them on bids) not sure what they will do with those extra folks....

Just a thought...

Comment

How do you guys feel about the H.U.D. program they have set up with the police/teachers/fire? How are the neighborhoods? here is the address, Good Neighbor Next Door.

Comment

hockey19,

I have worked out in the counrty districts (district 8) with HPD. Waianae and Nanakuli there are a lot of good people that live there, if it gave me a cheap place to live I would do it. The drive into town would be a turn off for me. There is only one way in or out of Waianae and Nanakuli. I remember a couple times where we had to shut down Farrington Hwy.

Anyone here apply for Hawaii County PD?

hi_to_lv

Comment

I noticed that the areas for the Good Neighbor Next Door are Pearl City, Waianae, and Waipahu. How do you feel about Pearl City and Waipahu? They are much closer to the city. However, I've heard that traffic is a nightmare there.

Comment

PC was number one area for auto thefts and waianae was the number one for auto theft recovery. waianae and waipahu would be good places for the HUD program. The homes are still affordable. Its just what you are looking for that will help you decide which part of the island you would live in. waianae your going to have leave home at least an hour prior to your shift. There is traffic anywhere you go on Oahu.

I worked in D8 and my beat was 850. If you go to HPD's website, the beat I had was very large. I lived in Ewa Beach and most of the time I had court in Waianae or PC. Both were about a 30 to 40 minute drive. I rarely had to go into town unless it was for a DV or grand jury.

hi_to_lv

Comment

Originally posted by HI_to_LV View Post
                              waianae and waipahu would be good places for the HUD program.
                              I'd take Waipahu over Waianae anyday. Waianae folks aren't too recepetive to Haole's.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6524 users online. 366 members and 6158 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X