300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Police Reserve Officer Program

Are any members of the Honolulu Police Reserve Officer Program here. What is HPD's current trend in hiring prior officers from the mainland as Reserves? I recently relocated to Oʻahu and want to volunteer my time in the department. I am POST certified with experience. I only wish to assist the department, and I have no intentions to profit with specials or take away from paid officers' time.

Have you reached out to the Dept directly?

Comment

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      I have reached out directly to the department, currently awaiting feedback. The Lateral and Reserve Officer application is not listed online. I plan to follow up again after the holidays.

Why?

2021 is an EXCELLENT time to not be a cop, ESPECIALLY in a Democrat-run city, in a Democrat-run county, in a Democrat-run state, in our Democrat-run nation.

The only way you could make it worse, is if you are white, male, heterosexual, and/or not born there.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 12-29-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Why? It may sound cliche, but I feel like I positively impact people's lives for the subsets that are often overlooked and undervalued as people.

I understand your sentiment. That is not one of my concerns.

I am not born here nor look like most of the people here. I have visited Honolulu several times, but this is my first time living here. I have noticed nearly all employees of local government agencies, such as city workers, firefighters, and law enforcement seem not so diverse (anecdotal).

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      What "subsets" of people are you referring to, and what do you mean by "overlooked" and "undervalued"? That sounds suspiciously like a savior complex imported from the mainland.

Nobody looks like "most of the people" there- there is no racial majority in Hawaii. Hawaiians, Tongans, Samoans, Koreans, Pilipinos, Chinese, Japanese, haoles, popolos, Micronesians, everyone is a racial minority there, and a lot are hapa.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 12-31-2021, 01:42 AM.

• retired137
      retired137 commented
      Editing a comment

Uh oh...ARE you white, male, heterosexual, and/or not born there?

Comment

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not white. I am a heterosexual male, and I was not born in Hawaii.

Would you please elaborate on your take?

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, that's three strikes against you, but it could be worse, you could be white. Visiting Hawaii is not the same as living there. Where are you located? And what are you, popolo?

He's joking,......

The best info will be from someone in the reserve division. Some Depts have sworn reserve officers that patrol alone as fully functioning officers, while others are unsworn, acting in very limited, school guard type positions.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Just because I communicate with levity at times, does not mean that I'm not properly addressing a substantive issue.

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      I get his undertone, and I seriously doubt he has any credible insight.

I have experience working in Reserve in past agencies. I have functioned independently as a POST certified sworn reserve officer in the previous agencies. I am very familiar with reserve programs and the different capacities one performs. I was seeking some insight from HPD folks.

Are you aware of the magnitude of the batu problem there?

Are you aware of the magnitude of the homeless problem there?

Have you ever fought a 6'10" 350 pound offender? Have you ever had to deal with a couple hundred of them fighting all at once when the bars close?

Comment

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your messaging; you come off very condescending.

I have no desire to entertain your questions. It is just not any substance, very self-righteous.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not being condescending, I'm very concerned about you facing risks that you're obviously not aware of, because (1) you've apparently never drawn a paycheck as a cop anywhere, (2) you're not local, and (3) you're choosing a bad time/place to be a cop.

It also concerns me that you are not comfortable discussing race in open and frank terms- that won't fly in Hawaii.

There is a significant part of the population there that chooses not to recognize the city and county of Honolulu, the state of Hawaii, or the U.S. government- they only recognize the defunct Kingdom of Hawaii. They will view you as a foreign occupation force and the direct cause of all of their life's problems, and they will want to take it out on you personally. If you don't speak pidgin, you may not even recognize the danger until several pickup loads of angry mokes show up to physically confront you. Queens has an excellent trauma center, but you need to realize if they can't fix it, you're done.

• reelle
      reelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Aidokea, you really should get out more. I guess you have me figured out; let me give it a try about who you are. Online forums are good therapy for cynical people like you to get a sense of self-worth. It is evident through your writing you are the illusory superiority type. The old-timer, has-been, full of what-ifs and could of's, was the self-proclaimed most brilliant guy in the room who never led anything, just complained, and made it difficult for peers and leaders to work alongside.

• retired137
      retired137 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is spot on.

If you don't get every single word of this, think it's funny, know WHY it's funny, and know why it's okay, then you're probably not ready:

https://youtu.be/u4l0TSGhWTs
    Last edited by Aidokea; 12-30-2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Reelle, if you really want to exercise your altruism, get a gas mask, a flashlight, some CAT tourniquets, and go cruise Kalihi tonight from about 2200 hours until after midnight, on foot- you won't be able to get through the residential streets there in a car on New Year's Eve.

Comment

• reelle
        reelle commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, this is near my neighborhood. I will let you know how the night unfolds if you're interested.

What did you find out about the Dept?

Comment

• reelle
        reelle commented
        Editing a comment
        I reached out to someone in the Community Affairs Division, the unit that oversees the Police Reserve Officer Program. A gentleman in the division directed me to apply using the Entry-Level Police Recruit application on the HPD website. My application is complete and was accepted by the department. More to follow.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Comment

• reelle
        reelle commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do, Brother.

Update: After my application was accepted, I received an email invitation to take the HPD entrance exam. Using my newly created profile on the recruitment website, I chose and scheduled a date to complete the entrance exam. The entrance exam testing location was at the Honolulu Police Career center. This center is co-located in the same building as the Kapalama Driver Licensing Center but on the Dillingham Blvd side. When I arrived, it was between 15-20 applicants present to test. The dress code and arriving promptly were strictly enforced. Those that were late or dressed inappropriately were sent away. I completed the exam in roughly 1.5hrs. I received my passing score the same day. Later in the day, I received a second invitation to take their Physical Readiness Assessment.

Comment

Congratulations,...... you're rolling along.

Comment

• reelle
          reelle commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Brother. I will keep you posted.

Reele, how’s it going?

Comment

Honolulu Police doesn't take laterals, no POST in Hawaii, each county has its own academy. Some officers start in a different county, then go to another county and go thru the academy all over again.

As for Reserve Police Officers, as of right now, I don't believe they're taking on any more reserve officers, other than those who are former HPD. Due to a substantial officer shortage, they're looking to fill paid officer positions first then they will be better equipped to take on more reserve officers.

As for current climate, there is an interim police chief that has withdrawn his application to become the new police chief. The current police commission is extremely anti-officer. There was a very high profile OIS last year where the newly elected city prostituter attempted to throw the officers under the bus not once, but twice. Despite grand jury delivering a "no bill" the first go round, the [email protected]$$ goes and charges the officers anyway.

Officers were absolved, but not after the family of the scumbag threatened the officers involved. https://www.khon2.com/local-news/day...nolulu-police/

I'm glad I don't work for HPD. Many of my friends are retiring due to the low morale and current climate.

As for large offenders at bar closing, it's like dealing with most other offenders in any other place, use your training and give respect and get respect. Know when it's time to talk, versus time to act.

Treat others as you would like to be treated and you will do fine in the islands. I work with personnel from several agencies on a regular basis and the majority of the HPD personnel are good people. The corrupt chief is in club fed, his former henchmen are either retiring or getting weeded out. Tide is turning, Just hope they can un-eff the prostituter and the police commission.

Good luck!
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4304 users online. 254 members and 4050 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X