Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral to Honolulu

Hello,

Current 9 year LEO here looking at possibly trying to lateral to Honolulu PD. I used to live in HI and am familiar with the lifestyle but I had some questions for people who are currently employed about morale, day to day operations, etc..... I would love to find a contact who currently works with HPD to ask a few questions. PM me if you prefer, I appreciate it.

Thanks!

You realize that HPD laterals still have to go through an academy and FTO, right?

When you say that you used to live in Hawaii, what do you mean? What ages and years, and where did you live? What is your apparent race? Do you have a local accent? These are big issues...

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      All good points. I had an offer in Hawaii and ended up turning it down. I didn't have any connection to the area, didn't speak pidgin (didn't even know what it was before the interview).

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes.

Good decision.

• alex001
      alex001 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I realize that there is an academy and that FTO is required, I graduated from HPU in 2011 and lived on Oahu for 4 years in various areas around downtown. I am multi-racial and enjoyed living on the diverse island.

The pay is good, the benefits are good, the retirement plan has been good (although new hires don't get as good a deal), the union is strong, and there is choke overtime- you could even custom-order a brand new Porsche convertible for use as your work commuter car, hypothetically speaking of course...
    Last edited by Aidokea; 06-23-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention- Corporals get department-paid subsidized cars, which saves you the expense of having to purchase a POV, plus it gets you out of any pursuits or transports.

Comment

The public schools are utterly abysmal. Private schools are better, but expensive. Home-schooling is possible, but be ready for some push-back.
        Last edited by Aidokea; 06-23-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

And the average home is over a million dollars. I'd recommend spending more than that- a lot more.

Trying to save money by living in a less-expensive neighborhood, can range from dangerous to deadly. In Hawaii, problems are rarely settled by words or by individuals- they are settled by several truckloads of giant mokes returning to ambush lone victims, in a manner that makes Reginald Denny's beating look mild in comparison. ALWAYS carry, avoid going out after dark, and avoid areas where your skin color is not popular...

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            The winters will probably only get milder going forward. Sounds like you were ready and actually had an enjoyable time there. Nice motorhome setup. I'd like something like that at some point, but I don't have anywhere to store it. Someday.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            The MTVR is SUCH a cool platform.

We were looking at Deuces, but the 2.5 ton trucks are SO underpowered and very slow- they usually won't even reach 50 mph. So then we started looking at 5-tons, and they had a little more power, but were still really slow. And they're both very crude vehicles. And most of them are really old and beat up.

But then some MTVRs started going to auction.

The MTVRs are massively bigger than even a 5-ton- they have 53" tall tubeless double-beadlock Michelin radials- our particular MTVR has run-flat inserts, because it was originally an armored gun truck attached to a special forces unit. Stock, the MTVRs are about 12 feet tall- when we moved to Texas, we were looking DOWN into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs. With it's 15-ton (30,000 pound) cargo capacity, an MTVR could carry TWO 2.5 ton trucks, and still have several tons of payload capacity left over. Or you could load down a 20,000 pound 5 ton truck to it's maximum payload capacity of 10,000 pounds, put it in the back of an MTVR, and the MTVR would still not be over it's 62,200 pound GVWR.

The MTVRs are also massively more powerful and faster than the smaller trucks- it has a 12-liter (732 cubic inch) intercooled CAT turbodiesel engine. The engine is detuned to 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. There are tunes available for this engine up to about 600 horsepower, but frankly we just don't need it- it will easily hit the rev-limiter at 65 mph.

The MTVRs are way more sophisticated than the older trucks- it has long-travel (16") coil-sprung fully-independent suspension, ABS, traction control, full-time torque-biasing All Wheel Drive, five selectable drivetrain lockers, dual CTIS so you can air up or air down the front and rear tires independently of each other on the fly, a heavy-duty 7-speed wide-ratio Allison double-overdrive automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, an insulated hard cab, and an adjustable air ride seat. Ours even has air conditioning. It's like driving a giant pickup truck.

The MTVRs are also much newer than the older trucks. They were introduced in 2000, and are still currently in use today. Ours is a 2007.

And the MTVRs can be a great value- the U.S. government paid $250,000 for ours new. They put about 3,000 miles on it and then sent it to auction, where we sniped it for about $15,000, in nearly perfect condition. When it was delivered, all I had to do was replace two burned out exterior light bulbs and a $10 air ride seat switch. Even if you paid the fair market value of about $40,000 for one like ours, it would still be a fantastic deal.
            Last edited by Aidokea; 06-24-2021, 03:08 PM.

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds badass. I looked at a couple that are currently up for auction, starting at about $7,000 each. I couldn't find out how much they're actually selling for though. It's amazing that the government will take that much of a price hit on these. Didn't know they were $250k new. It's not something I could afford now anyway, but that's a good long-term goal.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep in mind that if you buy one at the Govplanet auction, that you cannot inspect it before you buy it- you just have to go on the pictures and the inspection report. There are also no maintenance records available. They try to start them with a jump box, but almost none of them come with batteries. And there is no warranty. So the risk is huge. We were EXCEPTIONALLY fortunate.

Keep in mind also, that the condition of each unit varies tremendously. We were fortunate enough to get one in nearly perfect condition. Price out an engine or something like that and decide how much you're willing to gamble before you start bidding. Some guys buy several trucks, to be able to put one good one together, and then part the rest out.

Everything is expensive for them- new tires are $15,000 a set, although you can find NOS and used surplus tires for less. A pair of locking door handles to replace the stock non-locking door handles, was $400 and took several months to get, including sweet-talking Oshkosh Defense into giving me the part numbers, and then finding a vendor willing to sell to a private individual.

You also have to go through a government background investigation before you will be allowed to take delivery.

Transporting something that big is not easy or cheap- they are about 12 feet tall, so they can only be transported on public roadways via the very lowest RGN (Removable Goose Neck) trailers. It cost about $3,000 to have ours trucked up to us, and ours was one of the few that start, ran, drove, and came with batteries, so they were able to simply drive it on and off the trailer.

Anything before '06 isn't gonna have A/C, and anything after '07 isn't gonna be able to be legally registered due to federal emissions laws relating to DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters), DEF fluid, and all that.

Then there is all the paperwork- it can take a year between the time you win the auction, and when you finally have your truck. It could be as little as six months, but there are guys that have been waiting 18 months, and still have no clue if or when they'll be able to take delivery of their trucks.

We have successfully navigated all of this, and we are very very thankful.

How’s hpd in general ? I’m from
          oahu currently with Maui pd ….. looking at moving back and possibly doing the lateral ….. ur right about the new retirement it’s trash lol…… has there been a lateral academy yet?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4317 users online. 303 members and 4014 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X