300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaii jobs

what are pd jobs like in hawaii? What is the pay like?
    "If everyone had the right priorities in life there would always be a shortage of fishing poles."
    Mark Twain upon being questioned on the meaning of life

God bless all those that went thru hell in the dark corners of the world and died in secret to defend our freedom- DE OPPRESSO LIBER 1st SF GROUP

Originally posted by greenberet3382
    http://pahoehoe.ehawaii.gov/portal/employment/
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by greenberet3382
      Having had Army Bros stay out there and work with Honolulu PD...I can tell you this....

Pay sucks. They start at 36K or so a year. They were working 12s so on their off time, they were making big bucks working second jobs that the PD approves.....like directing traffic, working security, and doing some stuff when the military is moving convoys.

The Chief decided about a month or so ago that the 12s caused two Officer involved accidents, so he's trying to make that go away and go back to 5 Eight hour days.....and the troops are going nuts.

Most major West Coast PDs are flying reps to Hawaii and they are loosing Officers out the wa-zoo.... because they are offering them some sweet deals to move there....Seattle area, Portland, and Vegas are the big ones.....

Hono's Academy is very, very militaryistic.....and around 22 weeks long. Once out of the academy, you can go any where on the island...and expect to do some time at the Recieving Desk (local lock-up).

Equiptment is pretty good and after 5 years, the PD has subsudized vehicle program that is nice.....

If you are single.....retired military....or have a decent retirement coming in from another job....or have a wife that has a great job.....then it wouldn't be a bad gig. If you are married and have kids....and are just getting by now.....I wouldn't advise it. Public School system out there is horrible.....and the private schools are very pricy....

Comment

Originally posted by PPDMO373
        Having had Army Bros stay out there and work with Honolulu PD...I can tell you this....

Pay sucks. They start at 36K or so a year. They were working 12s so on their off time, they were making big bucks working second jobs that the PD approves.....like directing traffic, working security, and doing some stuff when the military is moving convoys.

The Chief decided about a month or so ago that the 12s caused two Officer involved accidents, so he's trying to make that go away and go back to 5 Eight hour days.....and the troops are going nuts.

Most major West Coast PDs are flying reps to Hawaii and they are loosing Officers out the wa-zoo.... because they are offering them some sweet deals to move there....Seattle area, Portland, and Vegas are the big ones.....

Hono's Academy is very, very militaryistic.....and around 22 weeks long. Once out of the academy, you can go any where on the island...and expect to do some time at the Recieving Desk (local lock-up).

Equiptment is pretty good and after 5 years, the PD has subsudized vehicle program that is nice.....

If you are single.....retired military....or have a decent retirement coming in from another job....or have a wife that has a great job.....then it wouldn't be a bad gig. If you are married and have kids....and are just getting by now.....I wouldn't advise it. Public School system out there is horrible.....and the private schools are very pricy....

I think right now HPD has 200 vacant slots to fill because of the heavy recruiting. The process to get hired on takes over a year as well.

I asked one cop about the pay and he says if he really wants to he can make 100k a year doing moonlighting, etc.

Private schools you're looking anywhere from 6 to 15k a year.

I'm going through the Kauai Island PD process now but I'm in unusual situation and the pay really isn't a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rascus
          I think right now HPD has 200 vacant slots to fill because of the heavy recruiting. The process to get hired on takes over a year as well.

I asked one cop about the pay and he says if he really wants to he can make 100k a year doing moonlighting, etc.

Private schools you're looking anywhere from 6 to 15k a year.

I'm going through the Kauai Island PD process now but I'm in unusual situation and the pay really isn't a factor.
          Last I read in the Hono paper that HPD is hurting bad.....then the dumbass Chief turned around and is wanting to kill the 12 hour days.....and go back to 8s.......which means folks aren't going to be working the OT that they were working to make ends meat.....

What an *******.....nothing like screwing your troops....

Comment

Originally posted by PPDMO373
            Last I read in the Hono paper that HPD is hurting bad.....then the dumbass Chief turned around and is wanting to kill the 12 hour days.....and go back to 8s.......which means folks aren't going to be working the OT that they were working to make ends meat.....

What an *******.....nothing like screwing your troops....
            Yea, not only HPD but Kauai as well. Big "scandal" on the police chief and his qualifications.

There hasn't been alot of talk about it lately them going to full 8's I think the unions are going to crack down on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rascus
              Yea, not only HPD but Kauai as well. Big "scandal" on the police chief and his qualifications.

There hasn't been alot of talk about it lately them going to full 8's I think the unions are going to crack down on that.

I read that in the Hono paper the other day about the mess going on in Kauai.......

Hopefully, you guys will get to keep your 12s so you can survive.....

Comment

Not much new to add

Everything posted is true. I get asked all the time by my family why I don't come back home to police. I told them when they at the very least match what I'm making here in Texas, I'll think about it...until then, no thanks. My departments starting pay is almost $14K more than the starting in Honolulu and my cost of living in the Dallas-Ft Worth area is nowhere near what it is in Honolulu.

The other problem that HPD had with the 12-hour shifts was that when they were implemented, quite a few detectives and officers in specialized divisions put in to transfer back to patrol and they also noticed a decline in the number of applicants for those positions. SHOPO is a strong union so it'll be an interesting battle.

My department went from 12's to 8's, chief's prerogative. They sold it to us as a way to get more officers on the street which doesn't make mathematical sense. Every time we had a manpower crunch in the Air Force, we went into 12's from 8's. Thus I don't think there is an Air Force Security Forces unit that isn't working 12's.

One sweet thing about HPD after a few years you drive your personal car on patrol and get a car allowance.

Oh yeah, and someone mentioned the schools...I'm a product of the Hawaii public school system. The person who said it wasn't good was absolutely right, although some schools are better than others, just like the mainland.
                "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." --General George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by New_Centurion
                  Oh yeah, and someone mentioned the schools...I'm a product of the Hawaii public school system. The person who said it wasn't good was absolutely right, although some schools are better than others, just like the mainland.
                  Your right.....some are better than others and I wasn't trying to slam the Education System out there....

I noticed the private ones (like St. Louis) seemed to produce a better product than most....but to go there costs out the w***oo.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10404 users online. 508 members and 9896 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X