Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii conservation & resources enforcement officer

Hi Folks,

I just applied for the Conservation and Resources Enforcement Officer position and would love to get some details about the position (further then what you can read online). Trying to gauge job satisfaction, normal work day routine, pay, moral, overtime, and community perception. If you have any insight I would love to hear more.

-Thanks

Low pay for the area, not much chance for advancement, be jacked with because you aren't local, and have to move yourself (on your dime) to a very high cost of living place........

Apts run around 1500 and above....unfurnished....
    POVs cost about a Grand from West Coast to ship....
    Milk/food/fuel is a good 15% or so (at least) above what you are paying in the Mainland....
    "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

Did they waive the residence requirement?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Did they waive the residence requirement?
        As far as I know..... all residency requirements were lifted....

As stated, why would you go out there....? The pay stinks and the cost of living is thru the roof......plus they (or any City/County/State agency for that matter) will not pay for your move.
        "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

But...but...it's Hawaii...!!

Comment

But...but...it's Hawaii...!!
            I lived there from 09 to just about 60 days ago.....and the ONLY way I can make it back out there is to do my time as a 13/14 and go back there on a PCS move. The only way I made it out there was due to a PCS move..... City/County/State isn't going to PCS move ANYONE out there......

There is no way in the world 99.9% of the folks from the Mainland can afford to move out there as a LEO on their own.... Not gonna happen. One needs to know what they are getting into AND have support out there already on island to make it.

Hell.... the 1-2 that did from on here in the past 3 years or so were there less than a year or so then scampered back to the Mainland.........

It is what it is. If you want to go to Hawaii that bad and work as a LEO.... go Fed...put your time in....and work on getting out there thru your agency.

Comment

My. Dream. Crushed.

Comment

My. Dream. Crushed.

I shall return..... made possible by a PCS move thanks to the US Gov and your tax dollars.....

Comment

Took the test with them two years ago, a bunch of mainland cops and one local guy an ABC investigator. First was the swim, everyone passed the test but the local guy who came in minutes after the last mainlanders finished, dude barely was able to finish. Then the run, it was all up hill at 5,000ft and it sucked, all of the mainland guys finished within the time, I had my watched timing as did some of the others, the local guy came in way over the time limit looked like it about killed him.

I got hired by another agency so no worries, but a friend with the county PD told me who they hired, yep the local guy who failed both parts of the PT test... That is Hawaii in a nut shell, you will never be a local and laziness and corruption is an artform.
                  Last edited by Magic Matt; 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM.
                  Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Magic Matt, there is no prejudice or nepotism here.....shame on you for suggesting that.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill

Comment

As someone who may have previously moved to HI to be a cop from the mainland.... I would highly discourage it unless you have family or history in the islands.

Not to mention, policing in HI is very different from mainland.

Comment

The fish cop gig isn't that bad. I have several friends who work it on at least 3 different islands. My buddy is currently the division chief.
                        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3145 users online. 155 members and 2990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X