300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Needed Please

I am looking for some info from some sworn LEO's in HI. I am a sworn Officer in NJ and with the economy here the way it is my department is next on the chopping block for lay offs with me possibly being one of the many getting the ax. So I'm considering my options of going out of state. If anyone has any info on departments that are taking laterals from out of state I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you can tell me what you like and don't like about working in HI would be appreciated as well. Any info on retirement, pay, and benefits would be great also. Feel free to PM me if needed.

I don't think any of the Police Departments in Hawaii accept out of state laterals and I know for a fact Honolulu Police Department does not nor does Hawaii Sheriffs Department.
    Retirement: I only have 3 years on, and not that informed.
    Pay: is ok compared to most other departments on the mainland U.S. however is considered low when compared to Hawaii's Cost of Living. There is lots of special duty assignments over here on Oahu for supplementing income.
    Benefits: I pay a arm and a leg for my medical and it doesn't look like it will be getting better anytime soon.
    Hope this answers some of your questions.

Aloha.

Comment

Thanks for the info brother I don't think I'm up for going through another academy but definitely appreciate the info. Be safe.

Comment

Glock, you are better off staying on the Mainland. Keep your head up and don't give up on NJ yet. The pay, bene's, and pension are hard to give up. I lived on Oahu for two years in the service. It was nice to be able to go the beach when you want to, but the cost of living was ridiculous and the locals don't take too kindly to us Haole's.
        " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but Hawaii is going through tough economic times. Cost of living is second highest in the country and the new Governor is threatening to raise property taxes and the general exise tax and tax retirees since there's a serious budget defecit. With the economy as bad as it is, it might be best to hang onto your job as long as you can. If you do get the axe, find a place that's more affordable than Hawaii. Good luck.

Comment

Saw this come across today. Starting pay is only $35,000 a year with that high cost of living, don't think that's going to work.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/haw...FwddxPacket%3E

Comment

Don't waste your time. The pay is too low and the cost of living is too high. It costs hundreds of dollars to fly to the mainland to look for a new job and then you wind up stuck out here like me.

Comment

Originally posted by glock33 View Post
                I am looking for some info from some sworn LEO's in HI. I am a sworn Officer in NJ and with the economy here the way it is my department is next on the chopping block for lay offs with me possibly being one of the many getting the ax. So I'm considering my options of going out of state. If anyone has any info on departments that are taking laterals from out of state I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you can tell me what you like and don't like about working in HI would be appreciated as well. Any info on retirement, pay, and benefits would be great also. Feel free to PM me if needed.
                A. Cost of living out here sucks balls. We are paying over 4 bucks a gallon for gas and around 6 bucks for a gallon of milk..... Decent apts run over 1500 for a small studio in town..... Decent houses start at over 400K.....

B. HPD/Maui PD/Hawaii County do not do laterals. If you came out here, you would have to go through the entire academy again....after flying out here 2-3 times (at least). Sheriffs Dept has their own academy and they don't take laterals either.......

C. You'd have to pay for your household goods/cars to get out here.... Easily plan on 10K. I was lucky, the USAF paid for my stuff......

D. HPD's pay is really, really low. To make ends meat, these guys work a ton of hours....on-duty and off-duty jobs..... You just can't work 8 hours and then hit the beach.....

E. You can't just jump on an airplane if something happens back home....it takes time/money to get back there........And if you have to do it at the spur of the moment, you will be paying out the ***.....

My advice....stay the hell away from here. It looks great on TV and on vacation......but to work here you have to make a lot of cash or you will be struggling and hating life......

Comment

I will just expand a little on what Bearcat added...

Your family is most likely a 9-10 flight (at a minimum) away from here. Most people will see them very little. I find it very hard not to see my family very much, especially since I have children. Plane tickets are very expensive and it is a pain in the *** to fly with little ones.

I really dont know much about how special duty duty works on the mainland. I absolutely hate doing it. But I have to just to get by. Every officer I know will tell you that it is beyond expensive to feed a family here.

A few of the guys I work with were LEOs different places on the mainland. They all say that tey regret the move.

I don't intend to bad mouth my department. I work with a ton of great officers. Leaving here would be hard because I have many great friends that I work with. But, I think that may have to leave here soon. And I think that there will be a large group of officers leaving behind me. Not because the department is bad, but, just to find a better life for their families.

This response is not directed toward Glock. I think his questions were previously answered. I know that guys come out here to work for different reasons. Its just a big move and if you don't like it is very hard to get back home.

Comment

Originally posted by haolepopo View Post
                    I don't intend to bad mouth my department. I work with a ton of great officers. Leaving here would be hard because I have many great friends that I work with. .
                    I'd love to work for your agency if I ever went back to uniform..... But there is no way in the world I could afford it.....and I've worked the numbers 4-5 times....and I live here already.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4734 users online. 284 members and 4450 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X