300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui County

I don't know if anyone will even see this, doesn't look like many people go onto the Hawaii threads.

I am a cop in Michigan and as many people know the market here sucks and talking layoffs. I saw Maui County in hiring, if anyone knows anything about them like, process of if they will let me do several stages in 1 visit. It could get expensive to travel to and from a lot for a police process! Thanks for any advice

Here you go,,,, That was hard, took me all of hmmmm,,, a minute. Just be aware that the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS,,, Federal employees get about a 25% adjustment to cover the costs.

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/jobs.aspx?jobID=52

Comment

I'd love to go out to Maui, especially being young and single. I'm trying to get an LE job anywhere, but it would cost so much to go test out there, plus there's no guaruntee you get the job. I'd hate to be out that money to find out I got DQ'd at the last part of the process.

Comment

I would visit the islands first if I were you.....island living is different and yes it is warm and beautiful here but you can get island fever. Also the cost of living is high. Most FNGs on Maui have to serve time on Molokai and Lanai for their first assignments. Two smaller islands that are part of Maui County. I personally like Maui best out of the islands but I got hired on the Big Island.
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill

Comment

When I was there last, I talked to one of their officers for about 30 minutes about policing in Maui. He moved to Maui from California. First, the liberal courts out there are terrible. He told me that it's next to impossible to get the state to prosecute anything obtained off of a search incident to arrest (and this was before the recent USSC decision). That's just one example of how the courts are, but he gave more. It's not the same as policing on the mainland. Secondly, many of the locals you will be policing do not think very highly of "haoles." That also goes for some people in the county government and the department. Have a desire to advance in rank? Very political, and much, much harder if you aren't a local. The locals get away with more and seemingly are given better assignments than non-locals. Keep in mind that it was relatively recently when you had to be a Hawaii resident to apply for the job at MPD.

I will add that the above was his opinion, and isn't necessarily the opinion of everyone at the department. If anything seems grossly inaccurate, hopefully kaohimanunu will address it.

I'd love to move there, but with what I mentioned added in with the extremely high cost of living and lower pay than I'm making now, it just doesn't make any sense.
          Last edited by Delta_V; 11-07-2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

The racial or cultural stuff doesn't bother me...I actually have more trouble with the haole transplants from Ca., Wa and Oregon. The liberal courts do bother me!! Also the restraints on our actions. Search incident to arrest is only allowed for weapons or consent, vehicle searches have to be done with a written consent, there are no inventory searches of vehicles here, pat and frisk is frowned upon.....and being from Mass and working there, I was used to all those good things.
            I took a 25% pay cut but I came here because my wife is from here. Pay is getting better here and things like clothing allowance and range fees are making their way into contracts. If you have no connections here, I would recommend you come down, do a ride along, talk with other officers who policed on the mainland.....and maybe stay a month to get used to living on an island.
            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by kaohimaunu View Post
              I actually have more trouble with the haole transplants from Ca., Wa and Oregon.
              I've ridden with Hono PD a bunch of times....and they are the same folks they have issues with. Usually liberal wood-hippie, pot smoking, and/or surfer wannabe's.......trying to tell you about Hawaii of yester-year.....and about how they hate the man as you toss them in the back of a car or wagon....

Comment

Bearcat,

What do you mean? It's well documented that the CA hippy is the be-all end-all of knowledge and smoke.

Last time I was on Maui, I did learn all about the King Kong Burger!
                Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6541 users online. 359 members and 6182 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X