300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobb Sheriff Vs. Cobb Police

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the cobb sheriff or the cobb police department and which one they prefer to work for. I am wondering which department would be easier to progress in as far as rankings and specialized areas of the department. I have also heard that sheriff end up making about 20K more than the police department starting out with over time and such. Any advise would be great.

I have no direct experience, but I would imagine it depends on what work environment you prefer to work in...

Comment

rapax?????
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Just like with most metro counties, each department has its role. If you want to work in the jail as a detention officer, wait to go to mandate (sometimes months or even years), potentially go back to the jail before getting into courthouse, apprehension, etc, then the SO is the way to go. It may sound like I'm knocking this route, but I'm not trying to; it just seems like this is the reality of working for one of the metro Sheriff's departments.

If you want to get mandated right away at an academy twice the length of any of the regional academies and start working on the street, then the PD is the way to go.

Both departments have good reputations, and the starting pay for the PD is about as competitive as anywhere else. I don't know much about the SO's pay scale. I would imagine OT is available with the PD, as are extra jobs once you are POST certified.

Comment

[U]Go to the police department.[/[U]

It is a very respected department. Both departments are hiring like crazy again. The S.O. has to hire 300 or so new deputies in the next 2 1/2 years for the jail expansion. Will put us at the largest inmate population in the state, over 4,000. The S.O. can be a soul crushing place. I have seen so many people quit it is sickening. I have done well there, but many others have not. It is political and I am not a politician. It all depends on who you are and how you get the job done. If your a go to type guy you can get go far. How do you get to be that guy, I don't know, you just wake up one day and realize your that guy. Do I make more money at the S.O., YES. Is it fair? Well rarely do people throw feces and **** at you on the street. Rarely do you have the same inmates behave like 2 year olds who can kill you for 12 hours a day and YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE DURING YOUR SHIFT. That alone is worth more.My first year there I made 23,000 more than a police officer at CCPD. Each year it went up nicely. We are on the EXACT same payscale as the police and fire. But the overtime at the S.O. in the past has been exceptional if you want it. I average about 100-150 training hours a year. The P.D. gets new stuff, we get their old stuff it seems. I think our swat team is better, but they have every kind of unit you can think of in a department. We have forgery, narcotics, the jail, courts, we serve all the warrants, civil papers and mental patient committments, fugitive unit (pd has one too now), and DV unit (pd has this too now, but we are HEAVY on warrant service for this). At the bottum the pd and so get along fine. As you go up the chain of command their is senseles and pointless hostility towards each others departments. Together we can get it done, seperate stuff is a pain and each department misses things obvious to the other. Example we will not let the pd have access to our complete warrant database without them calling on the phone each time even though we use the same dispatchers. The reason that there is a pd is so the sheriff could carry out the duties he is forced to by law which are very broad, expensive and a lot of it is behind the doors (i.e. jail) and the pd answers calls, is very heavy on the traffic and the s.o. guys write only 1-2 tickets a day for serious stuff only. As where the pd runs out of tickets books. You simply have to waste too much of your career at the S.O. in each divison that you suddenly look around and wonder where 10 years went. Hope this sums it all up. As for reputation, our has been in the toilet this week, in case you missed it a deputy that returned form Iraq did not return mentally. He kidnapped and raped and tortured a woman last tuesday. Oh, and P.D. arrested him thankfully before he killed the girl. But he is innocent until proven guilty (not really, but I felt I need to add that since it is on all the tv shows now).
          Last edited by Rapax; 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM.
          "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
          Office Space

Comment

Rapax thanks for the great overview of the two departments. It seems that both have their own positives and negatives. I think working in the jail for 8 months or so wouldnt be too bad but if most work there for at least 2 years, well im not sure I would be able to handle that. Do you happen to know what the shift work is for both? Like how long the shifts are, when they are and how many days on and how many days off? Does a bachelors degree help me out any in the hiring process or in getting promotions later on? Either the SO or the PD?Thanks for all of your useful information.
            Last edited by Stunwater22; 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

My advice to you would be this. The jail isn't for everybody, if you don't want to be stuck in the jail for twelve hours a day, then don't apply with the Sheriff's Dept. Your best bet would be applying with the PD.

If you like to be out and about, go with the PD. There is nothing wrong with working in the jail, but it can sometimes take two years or more before you are sent to the academy. You then have to wait for an opening in street patrol or another area, then that doesn't mean you are going to get that those positions either.

Think about it before you make a decision, don't make one that you will regret.
              www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

Having been both a Deputy and a police officer, I can honestly say that being a Deputy is what I would rather be, if for noting else that the broad range of duties and challenges that it presents.

One day serving 10-13's the next , DV, the day after that warrant services and backing other agencies.

Good stuff, but working the jail is the toll you pay for being on the road.

Comment

Each S.O. is different and Cobb S.O. is way different. The S.O. has less people on the road now than they did in 1982.
                  "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                  Office Space

Comment

Pd / So

If you want to Police, and want to do all that comes with that, go to the PD. If you want to work in the jail and make a lot of OT, go to the SO. In my experience, once many deputies get the chance to work narcs, (COBRA, UC) they end up at the PD. I can't think of two Officers that switched over to the SO, but the PD has hired many former deputies.In the south SO's are very political, and that is unfortunate. Like previously stated, the lower ranking field guys usually get along great, it seems that higher ups at the SO are required to hate the PD.
                    Make your mind up, BEFORE you take the plunge. The PD is testing soon.
                    Lots of opportunities for good officers, with good attitudes.

And I think our SWAT team is better, I've worked with both.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5347 users online. 307 members and 5040 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X