Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uniform Policy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Uniform Policy

    Does anyone know the GA Dept of Corrections policy on uniforms? Is it permissable for them to wear the uniform in photographs while campaigning for public office?

  • #2
    I would think that if you were running for public office, and it is unrelated to corrections or law enforcement, wearing the uniform would be a disadvantage.

    If it is related to corrections or law enforcement then they most likely would have a policy against it, or at least strongly frown against it.

    Whatever the situation is, I think it would be less than tactful, IMO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Now updating the ol driver license photo is a diff story

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, I am not running for office. I work at a small agency. We currently have several people running for sheriff to include two emt's, two active deputies, and one corrections officer. It's been fairlly civil so far but the c/o keeps sending us messages like, everytime a deputy transports an inmate to state prison, another c/o will tell them "Hey he told me to tell you your next sheriff is watching you". The guy was a used car salesman before he got a job with DOC a few years ago. He has no other LE experience. Well he places these campaign ads in the local paper in his DOC uniform, saying he is POST certified law enforcement officer and how he will use common sense law enforcement by giving people a good "talking too" instead of arresting them. He's a complete joke. We've gotten pretty tired of him. If he wants to run for sheriff that's fine, but don't mislead people into thinking you are more qualified than you are.

        Comment


        • #5
          In our department, if you're running for any kind of polictical office, be it Sheriff or Congress or whatever, you can't wear the uniform. If you're running for Sheriff, you have to take a leave of absence from the department until the election is over or until you drop out of the race.

          Comment


          • #6
            i would not do it at all. we are not allowed to attend political meetings in uniform. as a LEO you are supposed to be neutral and unbiased. it's a bad idea.
            Perseverate In Pugna

            Comment


            • #7
              I concur with Narco. We always had a policy against even verbally backing or bashing any political candidate.
              Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BigTrooper View Post
                I concur with Narco. We always had a policy against even verbally backing or bashing any political candidate.


                yeah thats how our agency is too
                Be polite to everyone you meet, but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.- Maj.Willard

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bubbaz View Post
                  Well, I am not running for office. I work at a small agency. We currently have several people running for sheriff to include two emt's, two active deputies, and one corrections officer. It's been fairlly civil so far but the c/o keeps sending us messages like, everytime a deputy transports an inmate to state prison, another c/o will tell them "Hey he told me to tell you your next sheriff is watching you". The guy was a used car salesman before he got a job with DOC a few years ago. He has no other LE experience. Well he places these campaign ads in the local paper in his DOC uniform, saying he is POST certified law enforcement officer and how he will use common sense law enforcement by giving people a good "talking too" instead of arresting them. He's a complete joke. We've gotten pretty tired of him. If he wants to run for sheriff that's fine, but don't mislead people into thinking you are more qualified than you are.

                  Leave it to a GDC Officer to run a campaign for Sheriff on the platform of "Hey, I'll be softer on crime than the sitting Sheriff!"

                  As much as I hate to say it, its a small minority of C/O's like this idiot who make the rest of the Law Enforcement community mock DOC Officers/agencies.
                  I've heard it said if you put your hands in your pocket you will wake up with both hands still in your pockets. This is blatant dishonesty on that training officer's part. I can assure you they will pull at least one hand out of your pocket to put the IV in, if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

                  GPSTC Training LT

                  Stay Alert To Stay Alive!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bubbaz View Post
                    Well, I am not running for office. I work at a small agency. We currently have several people running for sheriff to include two emt's, two active deputies, and one corrections officer. It's been fairlly civil so far but the c/o keeps sending us messages like, everytime a deputy transports an inmate to state prison, another c/o will tell them "Hey he told me to tell you your next sheriff is watching you". The guy was a used car salesman before he got a job with DOC a few years ago. He has no other LE experience. Well he places these campaign ads in the local paper in his DOC uniform, saying he is POST certified law enforcement officer and how he will use common sense law enforcement by giving people a good "talking too" instead of arresting them. He's a complete joke. We've gotten pretty tired of him. If he wants to run for sheriff that's fine, but don't mislead people into thinking you are more qualified than you are.

                    That guy sounds like a ******.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      One other question, is he in a short sleeve shirt without a tie, or in a long sleeve shirt with a tie?
                      I've heard it said if you put your hands in your pocket you will wake up with both hands still in your pockets. This is blatant dishonesty on that training officer's part. I can assure you they will pull at least one hand out of your pocket to put the IV in, if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

                      GPSTC Training LT

                      Stay Alert To Stay Alive!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In the first two or three newspaper ads, he was in a short sleeve without a tie; the rest in a black Polo with the DOC emblem.

                        It's just the point of him stating in his ad that he is POST certified and being in the uniform with his badge displayed. He is a POST certified CO and the general public doesn't know there is a difference. It's two totally different jobs. I AM NOT trying to start any sort of argument and I AM NOT trying to say anyone's job is any more important than the other. But I got my BS degree in CJ, went through basic mandate, spent 4 years in the military police, been on the job for coming on 15 years; I've done my time to be able to say that I am a COP. It just rubs me the wrong way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bubbaz View Post
                          In the first two or three newspaper ads, he was in a short sleeve without a tie; the rest in a black Polo with the DOC emblem.

                          It's just the point of him stating in his ad that he is POST certified and being in the uniform with his badge displayed. He is a POST certified CO and the general public doesn't know there is a difference. It's two totally different jobs. I AM NOT trying to start any sort of argument and I AM NOT trying to say anyone's job is any more important than the other. But I got my BS degree in CJ, went through basic mandate, spent 4 years in the military police, been on the job for coming on 15 years; I've done my time to be able to say that I am a COP. It just rubs me the wrong way.
                          The black Polo with the DOC emblem is something he had made up, no one wears them. I understand what you're saying about their being a difference in jobs, and I agree. I'm not equipped to work the street, just as a street cop is not equipped to handle a prison.

                          All Sheriffs should have a good deal of experience, that being said I wouldn't want a Sheriff who's only qualifications was the minimum qualifications, whether those minimum qualifications be BCOT or Basic Mandate.
                          I've heard it said if you put your hands in your pocket you will wake up with both hands still in your pockets. This is blatant dishonesty on that training officer's part. I can assure you they will pull at least one hand out of your pocket to put the IV in, if you're lucky enough to still be alive.

                          GPSTC Training LT

                          Stay Alert To Stay Alive!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            BUBBAZ What makes a Real Law Enforcement Officer

                            There are jerks in all Law Enforcement Jobs: Post Certified as BUZZAZ says(REAL COP) who MAKE TRAFFIC STOPS ON good looking females and request sex instead of giving them a ticket or run their tags just so you can ID them, and if they are sweet talking and good looking you don't even give them a ticket or arrest them. There are Correctional Officers who have sex with inmates in Federal, State, and County Jails. But the majority of the Law Enforcement Officers are Great Officers. It doesn't matter is you have a BS in CJ or if you have been in the military. I have seen REAL IDIOTS that have come out of the MILITARY. Not to mention the FOOLS with a College Degree.
                            It really burns my ASXXXXX when I read REAL COPS putting down CO's.
                            It take a special breed of MAN AND WOMAN to supervise up to 100 CONVICTS when all you have is your hands and a radio and your back up is 3 minutes away, no GLOCK,no ASP, no pepper spray, no taser. We work with the worst all 8 hrs and 15 min. of our shift. How many bad guys do you REAL COPS deal with in you shift? There is no setting in the Waffle House, Directing traffic around a blown down tree, No DoNut Shops or Escorting Funerals. All 8 hrs and 15 minutes working with the WORST. How many times a day do you REAL POST CERTIFIED COPS have a use of Force????
                            I wish some of you MACHO "REAL POST CERTIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS" WOULD TAKE A RIDE ALONG WITH A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER SOMESTIMES AND MAYBE YOU WOULD THINK TWICE WHEN YOU PUT CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS DOWN AND EXCLUDE HIM AS A FELLOW LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. Hi, do you REAL COPS KNOW Correctional Officers get killed in the line of Duty Also!!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              no one put you down, the truth is they are 2 different lines of work. ride a long? did you mean walk a long? get bent. people get too defensive. my hat is always tipped to COs. i would never want to work in a jail.
                              Last edited by Narco; 06-22-2008, 05:52 PM.
                              Perseverate In Pugna

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 12177 users online. 526 members and 11651 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X