Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave w/out pay

------------
    Last edited by alienbow; 04-18-2008, 05:39 AM.
    www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

research FMLA laws but I thought it had to be immediate family as well. you should be able to burn comp time or vacation to have leave and still get paid.
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by alienbow View Post
      Got a question for you guys. My brother and his girlfriend had their baby yesterday, she had complications and had to have an emergency c-section. She has three little girls and my mom and myself are keeping them. I didn't go into work yesterday or today. My supervisor is trying to give me leave w/out pay for today because he said it isn't immediate family. My brother and just born niece is immediate family, and his girlfriend and her three little girls are our family.

I just wanted to know if my supervisor can do this? Why give me leave w/ pay for yesterday, but not give me leave w/ pay for today? I am going to contact the director about this, it's not right. They are messed up at my facility big time.

One of the JCO's at my facility had an aunt who is a Capt. for internal affairs at the Chatham County SO. I spoke with her today and she wants me to come talk with her tomorrow. I hope I can get hired on there, that is really what I want to be doing. Wish me luck.
      I have never heard of something like this qualifying for FMLA. Why would they pay you to take care of your brothers kids? That makes no sense, and I don't even think that your brother qualifies under FMLA. If your going to do this, it should come out of your vacation or leave w/out pay. That is how it would work at every agency I'm familiar with. Can't say I'm surprised your trying this though.

http://sos.georgia.gov/firststop/georgia_employers.htm
      FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT

The FMLA requires that employers with 50 or more employees, who are employed within a 75 mile radius, provide eligible employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave each year to care for a newborn or newly adopted or foster child; to care for a seriously ill child, spouse or parent; or because of the employee’s own illness. Employers may, under certain circumstances, require employees to take unpaid FMLA leave rather than accrued paid leave. It is, however, always the employer’s responsibility to designate whether an employee’s use of paid leave counts as FMLA leave, based on information provided by the employee and it is the employer’s responsibility to notify the employee of this designation.
      Last edited by miked6; 04-09-2008, 05:35 AM.
      "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

I've got to agree with the others. You took time off from work to babysit and not to care for a qualifying relative who was sick.

I think you are out of luck on this one.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

-----------
          Last edited by alienbow; 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I'm not worried about it. They don't have to pay me for that day, but I don't understand why they can pay me for the first day and not the second. But like I said, oh well, I had to take the day off, it was unavoidable.
            They were turning a blind eye the first day. When you did it the second day, they thought you were taking advantage and you tried their patience.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

------------
              Last edited by alienbow; 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM.

Comment

your job isn't gonna be too keen on you ditching work to take care of extended family. saying "i have no choice" isn't going to cut it. you may feel like you don't have a choice, but that might leave you without a j-o-b.
                Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Got a question for you guys. My brother and his girlfriend had their baby yesterday, she had complications and had to have an emergency c-section. She has three little girls and my mom and myself are keeping them. I didn't go into work yesterday or today. My supervisor is trying to give me leave w/out pay for today because he said it isn't immediate family. My brother and just born niece is immediate family, and his girlfriend and her three little girls are our family.

I just wanted to know if my supervisor can do this? Why give me leave w/ pay for yesterday, but not give me leave w/ pay for today? I am going to contact the director about this, it's not right. They are messed up at my facility big time.

One of the JCO's at my facility had an aunt who is a Capt. for internal affairs at the Chatham County SO. I spoke with her today and she wants me to come talk with her tomorrow. I hope I can get hired on there, that is really what I want to be doing. Wish me luck.

"My brother and his girlfriend had their baby yesterday" this sentence alone says NO to FMLA. Your brothers girlfriend had the baby, girlfriends don't count..and to be nice I am not even gonna get into the "girlfriends baby" and she had 3 little girls" issue while unmarried. It is not you and your mothers job to take care of someone elses kids born out of wedlock. There was a time when people would have been so ashamed that they would not have dared post this information on line.

Your supervisor does not try to do anything, they do. Remember that.

The first day you called in sick. The second day you tried to take FMLA and your employer realizing this stopped you as they legally should have. IT took you like 23.4 years to get this job, please don't screw it up. The whole I am gonna go whine to another IA, because they are messed up at my facility, come on you have had the job for what 6 months. I remember you begging and scratching for a job. If you wanna work at an S.O. stick it out for a year then appply to an S.O. but make sure you follow the rules while your there. I have NO idea how the look at me apply to Chatham county applies in any way to your inital question.
                  Last edited by Rapax; 04-11-2008, 08:50 PM.
                  "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                  Office Space

Comment

+1 We all remember you begging and pleading for a job and here you are trying to complain and go to IA about something that's a non issue? If you wanna get technical you shouldn't have been allowed to burn sick leave for those circumstances.

All we're saying is you are too new to be causing waves. Juvy detention officers are a dime a dozen and it would be no problem to replace you. We are all just cogs in the wheel and we're all replaceable. Don't become a thorn in their side this early in the game...especially on probation or we'll all be reading on the GA forums about you wanting another LE job, and nobody wants that.
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

------------
                      Last edited by alienbow; 04-18-2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Alienbow,
                        You need to think about the questions and answers you write on here before you do so. Sometimes you come up with the most ridiculous questions that you should be able to answer on your own. We all have families and know that there are ups and downs, but to think that you can burn sick time or get FMLA over someone who is not immediate family is not going to happen. You finally got hired onto a job after trying for a long time and you need to work on keeping it to pay your bills. Where is your brothers girlfriends family? Are they not helping out? You can make this your problem to fix and potentially lose your job or let them take care of their own issues.

Comment

----------
                          Last edited by alienbow; 04-18-2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Chill, rook.

You question was addressed by deputies and officers that have been there and have the t-shirt. Calm down.

Hard chioces must be made when asking for time off from time to time. There have been more than a few occasions where I told my family "no". When I really wanted to say "yes" to taking time off. You will have to balance the needs of the agency with your personal issues.

I can assure you that a LE agency like Chatham SO will tell you no on days off from time to time. What then? You have to have a plan "B", so to speak. But even then, nothing is carved in stone.

If you wish for your career to get off to a good start, in any agency, you have to live it for a while, to the exclusion of quite a few things.

Good luck.

Comment

Below is what Alienbow wrote on the help desk/suggestion area. Sorry Alienbow that you put questions out there that you have not always liked to answers to. Many of us, certainly not all, on the Georgia site have several years of experience and to listen (read) to you complaining all the time gets old. We read the threads and put up replys because that is what this is all about. If you don't like it then you need to remove yourself from officer.com. We are not trying to hurt your feelings or offend you, but take the time to try and research the question you have concerning your work duties before you take it out in a public forum. You, and everyone else, may not always like the responses they get. We are all adults on here.

From Alienbow "I am sure I'm gonna get flamed for this post, as I always get flamed for every post I have. I know there has been several posts about how you get responded to by people on this forum, I've got another one. I think we need to have a little bit more sensitivity when answering to people's posts. Being a smart butt and sarcastic just makes you look ignorant. I'm tired of my posts being bashed by certain people and being told my posts are ridiculous. I ask legitimate questions and I don't appreciate the sarcasm and attitude that the "professionals" have that are already employed in the law enforcement industry".
                              All the sarcasm and attitude is unnecessary and something needs to be done about it. It just doesn't happen to my threads, but it happens to other people who come on here as well.

Like I said, if you don't like it.. go play in someone elses sandbox.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3255 users online. 227 members and 3028 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X